Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gonzaga territory?

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
    the biggest issue is $$$$$. Look up what Gonzaga pays the coaching staff. We could be Gonzaga but can we add 200,000 people to brookings,cut the football program and pump millions into the basketball program? Or better yet would the people be willing to do so? I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here but who are you going to compare Gonzago to? Witchita State is in the same category as they are considered mid major only because of the conference they are in. I'm all for striving to be more and better but.... I agree with the UNI comparison and they are not close to Gonzaga.
    I don’t think I mentioned Gonzaga even once, so I’m not sure what you’re going on about. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone say we are Gonzaga either. So there’s that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      Just win, baby, and the other issues will take care of themselves.
      Winning hasn't put more people in the seats in Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        Winning hasn't put more people in the seats in Brookings.
        I think Frost Arena in its current configuration is a serious limiting factor. Renovation is about five years overdue.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          I think Frost Arena in its current configuration is a serious limiting factor. Renovation is about five years overdue.
          Agreed! Better sight lines, seating and amenities may help. I just don't see the student culture changing anytime soon. That's not an SDSU issue, but rather generational and current culture. I know some students who don't attend, because of their perception over preferential treatment of athletes with scholarships and full cost of attendence subsidy.

Comment

Agreed! Better sight lines, seating and amenities may help. I just don't see the student culture changing anytime soon. That's not an SDSU issue, but rather generational and current culture. I know some students who don't attend, because of their perception over preferential treatment of athletes with scholarships and full cost of attendence subsidy.
            I don't think there is any magic process to improving attendance. It is something worth a good study by one of the consulting firms who do this kind of projects. I would not have a problem with Jackrabbit Club funds being used to fund a study of this nature. We need an objective outside take on this problem. Maybe it is higher prices of tickets, sight lines and all the other problems mentioned by various posters. This study I hope would include a plan of corrective action.

In the early 1960's during my student days, often you would hear fellow students grumble about free rides of athletes, but then Student athletes had to sweep floors and what not to earn their scholarship money etc. Fast forward 60 years and with the debt that the average student has to incur to get a degree, it certainly makes for a better gripe than it did 60 years ago and a reason to stay away from games. The point is that this favoritism is more obviously a noticeable problem.

I can see how the current students do not take kindly to free rides and cost of attendance. I am looking at it from a non-athletic student, and I am sure some of you former athletes will correct me and tell me that being a student athlete is a full time job and your performance on the court or field earns advertisement dollars for the institution. With out Nate Wolters or Mike Daum, our attendance would be even lower.

Comment

Every campus has those students who think athletes are given preferential treatment - so that is a wash across the country. Athletes at the D1 level are always going to get a scholarship plus more - that isn't the main issue keeping them away.

The % of our student body that attends football and basketball games on a regular basis is embarrassingly low. We just need to figure out a way to increase that % around 10%. I'm not saying I have the solution but 10% of 12,527 (2017-18 enrollment #) is 1252. If we could AVERGAE that for student attendance at every one of our football and basketball games, call me happy.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                Every campus has those students who think athletes are given preferential treatment - so that is a wash across the country. Athletes at the D1 level are always going to get a scholarship plus more - that isn't the main issue keeping them away.

The % of our student body that attends football and basketball games on a regular basis is embarrassingly low. We just need to figure out a way to increase that % around 10%. I'm not saying I have the solution but 10% of 12,527 (2017-18 enrollment #) is 1252. If we could AVERGAE that for student attendance at every one of our football and basketball games, call me happy.
                Yes this non-student Athlete attitude has been around for a long time. When you have to work to keep food on the table and then study, it is hard to fit in athletic events. Something has to give, and most of the time it is athletic events. It is a hard sell to convince them that the events are all about them. Getting 10 per cent seems a reasonable goal and they need someone to monitor and maintain that goal. I suspect some one on the staff has that responsibility and is most likely giving it 100 per cent effort with about 10 per cent successful results.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  Maybe I'm too much of a simpleton, but I can't see where Frost Arena is a real limiting factor. Parking around it for some, maybe. The only real issue I have with Frost is the "concourse" on the south side between the reserved seating and the GA seating. I don't know why they can't leave a couple rows up top, or even one, unopened so there is some room down below for people to move.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                    Maybe I'm too much of a simpleton, but I can't see where Frost Arena is a real limiting factor. Parking around it for some, maybe. The only real issue I have with Frost is the "concourse" on the south side between the reserved seating and the GA seating. I don't know why they can't leave a couple rows up top, or even one, unopened so there is some room down below for people to move.
                    It opened in 1973 which is 45 years ago and there are changes that need to be made as mentioned by Filbert. I keep wondering if we went first class started over with new facility we would be up to snuff for a few years. I wonder about the cost of renovations and who will pay for them. I don’t have much money but I am loaded with priority points.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      It opened in 1973 which is 45 years ago and there are changes that need to be made as mentioned by Filbert. I keep wondering if we went first class started over with new facility we would be up to snuff for a few years. I wonder about the cost of renovations and who will pay for them. I don’t have much money but I am loaded with priority points.
                      I get that, it maybe is time for a total makeover. I just have my doubts that it’s deterring more than a select few from coming. I have a feeling if it was renovated you will see the casual fan coming once or twice to check it out to quell their curiosity and that’s it. I think to see a lasting bump you need successfull teams and environment that makes games nights destination events. How that’s done, and what it entails, idk? I guess what I’m trying to say is, if your going to renovate it make it a renovation that creates a family environment for people with kids (play area, games, whatever). But have it in a way of that older people without kids can have their own experience without being bothered too. Clear as mud 😀

Comment

If you are a season ticket holder or get seats in any of the actual seats or lower bleachers, Frost is just fine. The upper bleachers are terrible though. If you are a family with little kids or if you're an older person, they're a nightmare to get up and down. If you sit in the first 5 rows, the railing is in the way of most of your view. If you sit in the first 10 rows and the people in the lower bleachers stand up, they're in the way of most of your view. The corner and end bleachers can only see about 70% of the court, and that's if the students aren't standing. It's a chore just to go to the bathroom or go get concessions if you're on the South side at all. Let alone if you need to change a diaper and have to go way North into the office area to the only bathroom with a diaper changing table. I have 2 kids and I like to bring them along to the games. If I want to use their junior jacks passes, I have to sit in the upper bleachers. Those bleachers are the reason I only go to a couple home games a year. I'll guarantee you I'm not alone in thinking that. Imo, the renovation of Frost could easily result in a 50% increase in attendance, and as someone else said, was way overdue. Having a winning team has boosted attendance numbers in spite of the sad state of Frost, tbh.

Comment

I get that, it maybe is time for a total makeover. I just have my doubts that it’s deterring more than a select few from coming. I have a feeling if it was renovated you will see the casual fan coming once or twice to check it out to quell their curiosity and that’s it. I think to see a lasting bump you need successfull teams and environment that makes games nights destination events. How that’s done, and what it entails, idk? I guess what I’m trying to say is, if your going to renovate it make it a renovation that creates a family environment for people with kids (play area, games, whatever). But have it in a way of that older people without kids can have their own experience without being bothered too. Clear as mud 
                          Two things that keep me away from attending more frequently: (1) Poor visibility/sightlines and (2) scheduling (see ​hard to plan with South Dakota winters and bad weather and work and little one).
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                            If you are a season ticket holder or get seats in any of the actual seats or lower bleachers, Frost is just fine. The upper bleachers are terrible though. If you are a family with little kids or if you're an older person, they're a nightmare to get up and down. If you sit in the first 5 rows, the railing is in the way of most of your view. If you sit in the first 10 rows and the people in the lower bleachers stand up, they're in the way of most of your view. The corner and end bleachers can only see about 70% of the court, and that's if the students aren't standing. It's a chore just to go to the bathroom or go get concessions if you're on the South side at all. Let alone if you need to change a diaper and have to go way North into the office area to the only bathroom with a diaper changing table. I have 2 kids and I like to bring them along to the games. If I want to use their junior jacks passes, I have to sit in the upper bleachers. Those bleachers are the reason I only go to a couple home games a year. I'll guarantee you I'm not alone in thinking that. Imo, the renovation of Frost could easily result in a 50% increase in attendance, and as someone else said, was way overdue. Having a winning team has boosted attendance numbers in spite of the sad state of Frost, tbh.
                            Me and my family sit in the lower bowl. So maybe I have forgotten the days when we sat in GA. But we have the same arena we had 30 years ago that had all those problems you stated then. And we had higher attendance then, so it leads me to believe something else is the main culprit here.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                              50% increase. I hope your right Cappin. I'm still trying to figger out how they are going to due all that renovation in a pretty small amount of time. Seems like a tall task.

Comment

Me and my family sit in the lower bowl. So maybe I have forgotten the days when we sat in GA. But we have the same arena we had 30 years ago that had all those problems you stated then. And we had higher attendance then, so it leads me to believe something else is the main culprit here.
                                You mean when we were in the NCC and played local schools on Saturday nights? Hmm... I wonder why we had higher attendance then.

Comment

Working...
                                X