Taryn Christion's senior season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taryn Christion's senior season

Imo, this team will go as far as TC takes them. I have very high hopes that he will have a huge senior season even without Dallas and Jake. Tbh, I think he will benefit from being able to simplify things into making reads and distributing the ball to the open man. At times last year it seemed like he felt the need to force the ball to Dallas and/or Jake. Obviously that went very well for us at times, but I think TC is at his best when the offense is spread out and he's given time to make his reads, avoid the rush and either take off or find an open man down field. In watching tape from last year, we tried sooo many cute pass plays with very little success, most of which was forcing the ball into Dallas' hands. I found a couple cut up videos of TC's plays from the NDSU and UNH games last year. He's so fun to watch when he gets time to let a play develop, feel the pressue, deal with it, and improvise. I'm hoping to see plenty of that this year.

NDSU tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onKho0ReRXk

UNH tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM8gG6IIl5A

Credit to Mark Jarvis who is an NFL draft analyst and surprisingly has TC listed as the 5th best QB in the draft at this point with a Late 3rd round grade. These grades only include QBs that are seniors this year, no underclassmen yet, as none of them have declared for the draft. For comparison he has Stick rated at 12th with a Mid 6th round grade. I would be really surprised if TC actually gets drafted at that spot, but maybe if he has a really big year. I think once you add in all of the underclassmen that declare, TC will be a fringe draft guy, probably UDFA.

Re: Taryn Christion's senior season

I couldn’t agree more with this entire post. We will go as far as TC takes us, for the most part. I think the defense will be improved and we will be more balanced on offense in almost every aspect. I expect the offense to be more difficult to defend to be honest. The opponents won’t be able to key on two guys, because I think TC is going to really shred teams by making the right read and get it into the hands of our athletic WRs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I am also very curious to see what TC's game looks like without the two big targets. I expect we'll see a lot of RPO type plays, and noticibly more passes in the flats to slots and RBs. Our run game should be very good this year, and I think it will be what we are built around on Offense. If we can develop an adequate vertical pass game, I see no reason why our offense can't be just as effective as the last couple of years. That being said, it will look different, and we won't have the same type of gaudy numbers, but I think it could be very effective. If our D can take the next step, I'll feel very good about our W-L outlook, coupled with what may shape up to be a very effective offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        a lot of RPO type plays

TC could really excel with some simple RPO quick read pass plays. I need this in my life.

noticibly more passes in the flats to slots and RBs

This, I don't want so much. If they're to the flats, they better be a quick tunnel screen pass. If I see another stupid slow swing pass to an RB in the flats, I'm going to throw up. We used to do this with ZZ because he was a freak. It simply doesn't work with lesser RBs and there's a reason why you barely ever see any other teams do it ever.
        Last edited by CappinHard; 07-10-2018, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

TC could really excel with some simple RPO quick read pass plays. I need this in my life.

This, I don't want so much. If they're to the flats, they better be a quick tunnel screen pass. If I see another stupid slow swing pass to an RB in the flats, I'm going to throw up. We used to do this with ZZ because he was a freak. It simply doesn't work with lesser RBs and there's a reason why you barely ever see any other teams do it ever.
          I'm neutral as to whether it's a good thing or not. I am of the opinion that we over ran variations of screens last year, relying on Dallas' athleticism too much. Screens should be a once or twice per game type call, imo.
          But I do want to clarify on the swing pass bit. We used to run it well before ZZ. We even ran it some last year, with success. I'd say it's been a more consistently positive play call than not, for the most part. In no way do I want to see it be a primary staple in our offense, but I'm not sure it's as bad of a call as you make it out to be. At this time, it appears that our receiving core and tight ends are going to be much better suited for a west coast/spread option style short game than the long bombs of the past three years. That tends to happen when you lose two 6' 4" + guys. We have a lot of speed, but not a ton of height for grabbing those back shoulder fades. I would be happy to be pleasantly surprised if a deep threat emerges though!

Comment

I'm neutral as to whether it's a good thing or not. I am of the opinion that we over ran variations of screens last year, relying on Dallas' athleticism too much. Screens should be a once or twice per game type call, imo.
            But I do want to clarify on the swing pass bit. We used to run it well before ZZ. We even ran it some last year, with success. I'd say it's been a more consistently positive play call than not, for the most part. In no way do I want to see it be a primary staple in our offense, but I'm not sure it's as bad of a call as you make it out to be. At this time, it appears that our receiving core and tight ends are going to be much better suited for a west coast/spread option style short game than the long bombs of the past three years. That tends to happen when you lose two 6' 4" + guys. We have a lot of speed, but not a ton of height for grabbing those back shoulder fades. I would be happy to be pleasantly surprised if a deep threat emerges though!
            I agree that we won't be suited for deep passes, but I would like to see way more short and intermediate passes than passes to the flats. Look at the way the NFL uses quick slot recievers (which is pretty much what we have a stable of), they run quick slants, drags, and quick outs. That's what I want.

Comment

I agree that we won't be suited for deep passes, but I would like to see way more short and intermediate passes than passes to the flats. Look at the way the NFL uses quick slot recievers (which is pretty much what we have a stable of), they run quick slants, drags, and quick outs. That's what I want.
              I'm in complete agreement with that as well. I think that we'll see a lot of those types of routes off of option reads and play action looks. I obviously could be way off on my prediction, but if that is the case, then that would mean our run game is setting up the quick hit pass, and I think we've got the personnel to thrive in that system this year.

Comment

Not having height doesn't mean that deep passes won't work. More speed can create separation resulting in open receivers on deep routes. The just throw it up for jump balls may not be there, but that doesn't eliminate the potential for long passes.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  Not having height doesn't mean that deep passes won't work. More speed can create separation resulting in open receivers on deep routes. The just throw it up for jump balls may not be there, but that doesn't eliminate the potential for long passes.
                  You're right, the deep ball should still be there occasionally, I was just saying compared we won't be throwing it deep like we did this year.

Comment

Nice little article on TC:

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-...tm_medium=Link

Comment

While there are always some doubters, it is hard to argue with Taryn's leadership and success on and off the field. Last night, Taryn was in NY City for the William V. Campbell Trophy award honoring college football's top scholar-athletes. Another Christian won the award as in Clemson's DT Christian Wilkins.

Four FCS players including Easton Stick and one D3 LB joined eight FBS players in the award presentation. As a finalist, Christion won an $18,000 post graduate scholarship. In the last five years, SDSU has had three finalists - Zenner in 2014 and Wieneke last year. To be nominated for this award you have to be a senior and have at least a 3.2 gpa and be a significant contributor towards your team.
                      Last edited by GopherHole; 12-05-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I was one that shared this opinion of shorter passes...well when they run the Cade toss it's like that but there have been as many deep passes as in years past.Also, awesome honor to have TC nominated for the Campbell, great student athlete...congratulations

Comment

One more comment regarding the Campbell award. It is a testament to the culture that Stig has built. It takes great talent and character that players like Taryn, Jake Wieneke, Zach Zenner, and Ryan Berry have to be recognized as finalists for this award. However, from my observation, only four schools have had multiple finalists in the last five years. SDSU is the only school to have three.

SDSU - 3 finalists
                          Duke - 2
                          Kansas State - 2
                          Northwestern - 2

Moreover, the MVFC has had six finalists in the last five years, with the other three being Caleb Schaffitzel from Missouri State (2014), Karter Schult from UNI (2016), and Easton Stick from NDSU (2018).

Comment

Working...
                          X