Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Augie to the Summit?

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Well I was more concerned with their athletic programs, to bad out of those 30k students they cant get any to show up for sporting events. I know a lot of people who looked at them for grad school options so its not like its a bad school and neither is Augie. However IUPUI started to get a better women's team after years of struggling, their men's team has only gone down hill since Hunter left, they didn't really do much to help the league. they were a warm body and a game on the schedule. I cant really see Western or IPFW thinking of them as much as a rival. Maybe they do and I am completely wrong. IMHO I feel the league got better losing IUPUI not weaker.

Half the summit is NCC schools anyway. UNC and UNI would always be regional teams that might consider joining forces with, and that basically takes us right back to the NCC going D-1. Another former NCC school is not the worst thing or the end of the world. If there was a dozen other well established mid majors in the 5 state region, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, but there is not. that leaves outliers or hoping other defect or build up the conference from with in. Which is my preferred method.
    When you are taking courses in brain surgery or open heart surgery, there is not much time to watch a bb game. Granted half the Summit is the old NCC, but we are still getting those Where is that? questions whenever make the big dance. I have nothing against Augie or SF as a community. The biggest stumbling block is Augustana is tuition drawn and that makes them different and very expensive and very different from the Skyfarts and the Stampede, and of course the Canaries which are fanchisees

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
      In Zimmer's defense, that comment was referencing the total cost, including travel, of attending Jacks' games, right?

He also mentioned multiple times that Jacks fans had the good fortune to watch players like Wieneke and Goedert, albeit at least once in the context of ... if fans can't support a team with players like that when the weather is great, then it will be difficult to consistently sell out the stadium, save "rivalry games."
      Which is talking out of both sides of your mouth. To say the better value is to stay in Sioux Falls then criticize the attendance? As the SDSU beat writer? Come on man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
        Which is talking out of both sides of your mouth. To say the better value is to stay in Sioux Falls then criticize the attendance? As the SDSU beat writer? Come on man.

The term value is subjective to each individuals tastes I guess.I would gladly pay more to watch a Div 1 game than a Div 2 game.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
          The term value is subjective to each individuals tastes I guess.I would gladly pay more to watch a Div 1 game than a Div 2 game.
          I think that it depends on your allegiances. Is there value in me, a SDSU guy, driving an hour to watch FB/BB/Wrestling in Brookings? Certainly. But for the casual college sports fan? No. I still believe that SDSU has a way to go to make their games "destination" events. Heck, SDSU has a hard time showing some residents in Brookings that there is value in attending a game.

The only way that Augie could support a move would be to basically strip their athletics down to a basketball-only school.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

If anyone watched the local news tonight or read Zimmer's write up from the hiring of the new Augie AD, I think we can probably assume that this isn't just message board fodder. It sounds as though the official, public position of Augie admin is that they are considering the move up, and that part of what made the new AD attractive is his ability to fundraise for that move. Doesn't mean it's happening, but I do think we can officially consider this something that is on the table down in Sioux Falls. Who knows, but the language quoted from those news outlets between the president and the new AD were fairly suggestive (if a little ambiguous) about considering a transition.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              I think that it depends on your allegiances. Is there value in me, a SDSU guy, driving an hour to watch FB/BB/Wrestling in Brookings? Certainly. But for the casual college sports fan? No. I still believe that SDSU has a way to go to make their games "destination" events. Heck, SDSU has a hard time showing some residents in Brookings that there is value in attending a game.

The only way that Augie could support a move would be to basically strip their athletics down to a basketball-only school.
              I think Augie can be strong in several other sports. Their baseball facility is top notch!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                If anyone watched the local news tonight or read Zimmer's write up from the hiring of the new Augie AD, I think we can probably assume that this isn't just message board fodder. It sounds as though the official, public position of Augie admin is that they are considering the move up, and that part of what made the new AD attractive is his ability to fundraise for that move. Doesn't mean it's happening, but I do think we can officially consider this something that is on the table down in Sioux Falls. Who knows, but the language quoted from those news outlets between the president and the new AD were fairly suggestive (if a little ambiguous) about considering a transition.
                No kidding - today should put to rest any doubt that they are at least studying their D1 options. I heard Stephanie H-S interviewed after the press conference and she did not hide from the topic at all.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post

Or he's merely voicing multiple perspectives, which can make him a better beat writer.

Personally, I'd opt to pay to attend a Jacks game even if the alternative would be to attend an Augie game for free, but if the goal is to increase attendance, fans like me shouldn't be the metric for that very reason.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    I think Augie can be strong in several other sports. Their baseball facility is top notch!
                    I agree they could be, but financially baseball and softball might not be their best options. Basketball would be their meal ticket.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Augie will have to bring more than basketball teams to the Summit. Otherwise, why would the league even want them? For starters, make them bring baseball to help shore up team numbers in that sport.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Does the Summit have a minimum number of sports requirement for membership, affiliate members for one sport only excluded?

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                          Does the Summit have a minimum number of sports requirement for membership, affiliate members for one sport only excluded?
                          This article indicates UND had to sponsor seven sports (MBB and WBB being two required) to be eligible for Summit consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                            They made a good choice for AD. Let’s see what he can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              Augie will have to bring more than basketball teams to the Summit. Otherwise, why would the league even want them? For starters, make them bring baseball to help shore up team numbers in that sport.
                              Minus baseball they don't get anywhere.

Personally I like listening to the source more then reading articles by the Sioux Falls media. Herseth Sandlin was interviewed on KWSN.

http://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk...i-possibility/

She didn't back down from the question, she also was clear that a D1 Augie is not imminent and could take years, if it occurs at all.

The Sioux Falls media need to slow down and listen instead of pushing their own agenda. Gaskins was embarrassing following the interview. To the point of replaying portions of the discussion and trying to parse what she said into making it sound like the decision had been made and it would only be a matter of time. The President admitted they have had ZERO discussion with the Summit League or anyone representing the Summit League. She did say that boosters had contacted the Summit League, not necessarily representing Augustana's stance or view on the issue. If I were the school that would be embarrassing. Lead or get led, but get control over your boosters.

Comment

I think one thing Augie has to consider with this move is the possibility of the college landscape changing in the next several years. If they move up, and SDSU and USD find themselves in a different conference or reclassified if there is a restructuring of Power 5, G5, and FCS, will Augie be okay to be DI and not in any conference with the other state schools? It's an unlikely scenario, but it could happen. It seems to me like Augie going DI is all about them getting some of what the other two state schools have, and benefiting from playing them. Will Augie fans support DI if it didn't involve a conference that included SDSU and USD?

Comment

Working...
                                X