Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: UNI Panthers

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    The posters commenting about attendance..... Do you understand our base consists largely of the agricultural community? Do you also understand these same farmers are going like mad trying to get crops harvested? I was back last week and in my neck of woods they were still working on beans! That’s unheard of for mid November.
    So we are saying that 7000 farmers and ranchers stayed home the last two weeks? Everyone knows that this is an ag area, but that isn't an excuse for less than 8k to show up in back to back weeks against top tier competition. Those same folks didn't have an issue showing up against NDSU on a nice weekend.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      So we are saying that 7000 farmers and ranchers stayed home the last two weeks? Everyone knows that this is an ag area, but that isn't an excuse for less than 8k to show up in back to back weeks against top tier competition. Those same folks didn't have an issue showing up against NDSU on a nice weekend.
      Sioux Falls metro area 265,000 people. I would guess not a large % of that are farmers.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
        Sioux Falls metro area 265,000 people. I would guess not a large % of that are farmers.
        There are a bunch of Hamlin Country farmers that are big fans and were tuning in on WNAX on their combines. I know one family that bought tickets from me. Too bad we can’t count them some how. You ought not forget where you came from Hamlin County has been very supportive of SDSU athletics for decades. I bet Rusty Antonen was in the seats yesterday. I guess my lifelong prejudice against SF is showing.

Comment

Guessing his argument would be that crops weren't ready for harvest then. Regardless, if we're mortgaging the ability to pay off stadium on one economic sector, it's a big mistake, particularly when that sector is vulnerable to factors such as tariffs and climate change.

It'd be very interesting to see aggregate data regarding ticket purchasers' characteristics rather than anecdotal posts.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
            The thing I was most excited about with Heide yesterday was it seemed his internal timer went off sooner and he pulled it down and tried to get what he could. Didn't hold onto it and avoided strip sacks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
            I think that is coming from the increased number of snaps, not only in the game but also in practice. He is "the man" on the team now and he is starting to play that way. This kid, if the development arc continues, will be the best story of the season.

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
            Guessing his argument would be that crops weren't ready for harvest then. Regardless, if we're mortgaging the ability to pay off stadium on one economic sector, it's a big mistake, particularly when that sector is vulnerable to factors such as tariffs and climate change.

It'd be very interesting to see aggregate data regarding ticket purchasers' characteristics rather than anecdotal posts.
            I think that it is just a convenient excuse to blame the lack of support on the fact that it is a rural area. I know that those folks have been working their butts off because I deal with them everyday. The fact is that 60% of the fanbase is only interested in the NDSU/USD games. I will continue to be disappointed because our student athletes deserve better, and not just the football and basketball teams. But, that is a soapbox that will need to be stood on in a different thread.

Comment

I'm starting to think that we have a lock on a minimum of 7200 fans no matter what the weather or who we're playing. Yesterday's crowd was great (for support; not numbers) and those same fans probably account for 90% of the noise at a game with 14000.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                That’s not the base. Let’s be serious about that. It’s a growing segment but the base of our fans live in rural SD. To ignore the situation the farmers are dealing with and thinking that doesn’t affect attendance is living life with blue and yellow blinders on.

Comment

How about that defense?
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    I'm starting to think that we have a lock on around 7200 fans no matter what the weather or who we're playing. Yesterday's crowd was great and those same fans probably account for 90% of the noise at a game with 14000.
                    I agree with that 100%. The problem is that when the AD says that increasing attendance is one of their top priorities, that 7200 number is a disappointment. But those that make it to the game at least get to see high quality football.

Comment

I’ll bet it was a significant number. 3-4k isn’t out of the question.

Those same folks couldn’t harvest 3-4 weeks ago. There’s a reason they are just harvesting beans and it’s not that they just felt like waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        There are a bunch of Hamlin Country farmers that are big fans and were tuning in on WNAX on their combines. I know one family that bought tickets from me. Too bad we can’t count them some how. You ought not forget where you came from Hamlin County has been very supportive of SDSU athletics for decades. I bet Rusty Antonen was in the seats yesterday. I guess my lifelong prejudice against SF is showing.
                        No idea what Hamlin County (population of 6000) has anything to do with my post. You obviously have no idea what my allegiance to Hamlin County is because if you did you wouldn’t question it.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          I'm starting to think that we have a lock on a minimum of 7200 fans no matter what the weather or who we're playing. Yesterday's crowd was great (for support; not numbers) and those same fans probably account for 90% of the noise at a game with 14000.
                          Couldn't agree more with this. The Jacks fans yesterday are largely the ones you see at the cold-weather playoff games.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                            How about that defense?
                            Definitely. I think I'm underestimating Rogers and Bergstrom. At this rate, we won't need to worry about the 'Yotes poaching them because the Vikes need them even more

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              I’ll bet it was a significant number. 3-4k isn’t out of the question.

Those same folks couldn’t harvest 3-4 weeks ago. There’s a reason they are just harvesting beans and it’s not that they just felt like waiting.
                              Oh, I know that they didn't feel like waiting and it isn't the farmer's fault that this great program can't draw 10k fans each game. It is the fault of the folks that would rather come up with excuses not to come rather than just head to DJD. In hindsight, we should have probably built a stadium at about 11-12k capacity. Sure we wouldn't have the 19k like we did against NDSU, but it also wouldn't look like the HS championships. Ha.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                                How about that defense?
                                I think that we are seeing the fruits of all the playoff appearances. We keep getting better and better freshmen coming into the program. That means we always seem to have a nice mix of experience. It is really amazing to watch how this has been a steady climb in the past 8-9 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X