Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT-UTRGV

Originally posted by blue? View Post
    Agreed outside shooting was a struggle tonight, but give it a few games before deciding nobody can shoot.

Remember this is the first game and for a handful of them the first game of their college career. I would expect outside shooting from Arians, Freidel and Wingett to be just fine as things move forward and everyone gets more comfortable.
    I agree. Drawing shooting conclusions from a one game sample is not the best. I'm more worried by the lack of play makers than shooting.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Yes, agreed.

There are guys on this team who can shoot it. Werent' hitting tonight.

Noah in particular... guys he can flat out stroke the ball. And Wingett didn't score over 2,000 HS points for nothing. He can shoot too.

Defense and Rebounding was excellent.

Brandon Key was fantastic. Just fantastic.

Been super impressed with Scheierman. He's got such good handles and passing for a kid of his size.

I actually don't mind Dillon shooting the 3. He can make that, and as mentioned his post moves are lacking. Pull those big guys out of the paint.

I'd like to see Wingett get a little more time. But they are rotating a lot of guys, and kind of finding their way.

That was an impressive win. Honestly with what UTRGV returned, compared to what we return... I was nervous.

Comment

Buchanan shot like 45% from deep last year I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          Buchanan shot like 45% from deep last year I believe.
          I'm a bit surprised he didn't get any run? But I'm not at practices or coaches meetings or anything... I'm just a fan like you guys.

Maybe his defense is lacking? He did look super aggressive defensively against Mount Marty, for what that is worth.

Comment

Was only able to watch the last 5 minutes, but Dentlinger looked like a full-grown man on the boards.

Comment

We just threw a bunch of raw ingredients into a crock pot. Let's give them time to cook and blend their flavor/attributes together. I think the revenge they will provide us will taste pretty good!

Comment

A nice first win for Hendo in defending the home court. Defense was good at times, but I also thought Rio Grande played pretty undisciplined. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Jacks were the only SL team to win a game. Five others on the road all lost. The league is fairly week as a whole.
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  I'm a bit surprised he didn't get any run? But I'm not at practices or coaches meetings or anything... I'm just a fan like you guys.

Maybe his defense is lacking? He did look super aggressive defensively against Mount Marty, for what that is worth.
                  I was a bit surprised too, but then again it's the first game. I suspect we will see some big changes until Hendo really settles into his rotation.

It's pretty obvious Key, Arians, and Wilson will be counted on big time. I also expect Wingett will be a key player by the end of the year.

Comment

It’s sure nice to have Key back. There were numerous times last years when the team (and crowd) seemed like they needed a spark - and that’s just what he provided over and over in 2017-18.

It’s classic how some have already precisely identified this teams weaknesses after one game. I would have thought that would take until at least February with all the new players, but I’m not much good at Fan Forum Panic.

Comment

I do not want to sound a bit uninformed, but Dentlinger turned in a solid stat sheet. 17 points on 5-8 shooting and listen to the 6-7 from the free throw line too. He grabs 14 rebounds and hands out 2 assists in 24 minutes. He did have 1 turnover and 2 personal fouls. He does not have blazing speed or next generation athletic abilities, although I would consider him to be a worthy piece of the formula.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                        I do not want to sound a bit uninformed, but Dentlinger turned in a solid stat sheet. 17 points on 5-8 shooting and listen to the 6-7 from the free throw line too. He grabs 14 rebounds and hands out 2 assists in 24 minutes. He did have 1 turnover and 2 personal fouls. He does not have blazing speed or next generation athletic abilities, although I would consider him to be a worthy piece of the formula.
                        He looked like a ballerina out there on his feet last night compared to last season. That oop he had to Wilson was awesome. Our bigs had a great game.

Comment

Something to think about with Dentlinger - he has next level smarts and is super successful academically. So limitations he may have on the athletic ability side, and looking at him early this year I'm not sure those are as exaggerated as we would have thought, may be countered by his intelligence, instincts, and grit/work ethic. I'm excited to see him continue to have success.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

It takes some JUCO players time to adjust. Remember Key's first year when some were writing him off in February because it looked like he had a bad attitude sitting on the bench ? And if I remember correctly, Deondre Parks didn't set the world on fire in his first few games.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              It takes some JUCO players time to adjust. Remember Key's first year when some were writing him off in February because it looked like he had a bad attitude sitting on the bench ? And if I remember correctly, Deondre Parks didn't set the world on fire in his first few games.
                              Hell, I remember being really frustrated with Deondre Parks for the first half of his JR year.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                Which makes Douglas Wilson’s performance even more impressive coming from the JUCO ranks. Will be fun watching him grow as the year goes on.

We lost some incredible offensive and shooting firepower from last year. Thankfully there are other components to winning basketball games. Last nights shooting performance would have had last years teams getting crushed by ANY team. Hopefully a team that rebounds and plays tough D leads to more consistency and wins even on off nights.

Cool to see the ball movement and unselfish play as well. Excited to see us against some P5 teams coming up soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X