Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    Strong interest by SDSU would signal 100% turnaround from Sell's recent statements. Anything is possible.
    100% turnaround? That never happens in College Athletics! (Said Sarcastically)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I'd hope the valley would contact the xdsus I just A don't see them offering and B don't see the real lure of the mvc

Comment

Originally posted by mmiller_34 View Post
        I think Sell said what he had to say in that situation. It was early in the process last week before anything was official about WSU. You don't want to "rock the boat" if there is no real reason to.
        Spot on. Sell has approached the situation correctly. He said he was happy with the Summit League but never said we'd never leave either. You don't turn over your cards after the flop unless you like looking foolish.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
          Spot on. Sell has approached the situation correctly. He said he was happy with the Summit League but never said we'd never leave either. You don't turn over your cards after the flop unless you like looking foolish.
          Yep. Would be incredibly dumb to say "if we get invited we are gone". Would destabilize the Summit among other problems that would cause. It's the same reason NDSU wouldn't state they are looking for an invite to a FBS conference publicly. I don't think they are but they never would publicly state it if they were either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Well I see the Summit League added Drake and Illinois St. as an affiliate to Tennis.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/sport...20170410ora34j

Not that it is big news, but it is somewhat ironic that all of the talk is the MVC expanding and the Summit contracting. But to day the Summit expanded a little.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
              Well I see the Summit League added Drake and Illinois St. as an affiliate to Tennis.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/sport...20170410ora34j

Not that it is big news, but it is somewhat ironic that all of the talk is the MVC expanding and the Summit contracting. But to day the Summit expanded a little.

I'm wondering why they are leaving the Valley for men's tennis. Don't schools usually become affiliate members because their usual conference does not have it, like our wrestling team? It seems really weird.
              Rollin' in my 5.0
              With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
              Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                I'm wondering why they are leaving the Valley for men's tennis. Don't schools usually become affiliate members because their usual conference does not have it, like our wrestling team? It seems really weird.
                It looks like there were only 5 mens tennis teams in the mvc and Witchita St was one off them. So that would leave 4. Stony Brook was also in the mvc. So when Drake and Ill St leave it leaves So Ill and Stony Brook.

Comment

As schools like Valparaiso, Murray State and Belmont are signaling they are potentially not interested in joining the Valley reality is starting to sink in for Valley members, fans and administrators that without Creighton and now Wichita State the conference is just not more appealing than conferences where these schools are currently residing. Why leave a one bid conference for another one bid conference that has slightly higher competition and thus more difficult to reach the tournament and higher travel costs. Same could be said for the Dakota schools when considering the Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    As schools like Valparaiso, Murray State and Belmont are signaling they are potentially not interested in joining the Valley reality is starting to sink in for Valley members, fans and administrators that without Creighton and now Wichita State the conference is just not more appealing than conferences where these schools are currently residing. Why leave a one bid conference for another one bid conference that has slightly higher competition and thus more difficult to reach the tournament and higher travel costs. Same could be said for the Dakota schools when considering the Valley.
                    It's going to be funny once MVC comes to this realization and then settles for UMKC because it is located in a "big market".

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                      It's going to be funny once MVC comes to this realization and then settles for UMKC because it is located in a "big market".
                      I am guessing that market fills UMKC's arena about to the level of Mabee Center in Tulsa. They may get their score(no highlights) reported on the evening sports. UNI should be the preseason favorite on annual basis.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        Why leave a one bid conference for another one bid conference that has slightly higher competition and thus more difficult to reach the tournament and higher travel costs.
                        And the fun doesn't stop there... You also get to walk away from the biggest event in SD sports history leaving thousands of fans that cherish it in the dust. So many mid-major teams would kill to have the setup we do. But, oh well, at least we would get to experience the tail-end of the Creighton/WSU NCAA tournament money and be a part of a TV deal that I'm sure networks will be tripping all over themselves to continue in a few years. Nothing says ratings like a steady dose of Bradley, Evansville, Missouri State and Loyola!

Comment

Hearing Murray State and Valpo being added to the MVC. Could lead to Murray St being added to the MVFC. Which will really help with the unbalanced nature of the schedule for football with UND being added (he said sarcastically).
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                            Hearing Murray State and Valpo being added to the MVC. Could lead to Murray St being added to the MVFC. Which will really help with the unbalanced nature of the schedule for football with UND being added (he said sarcastically).

Wonder if the Horizon League and the OVC will try and get Fort Wayne and IUPUI. IUPUI is within the OVC footprint and Fort Wayne is within the Horizon footprint. Not sure if they would be interested due to the alphabet soup names and not so great fan support.

Comment

Based off what the IUPUI women's coach said at halftime of the conference tourney game against us, I don't think he would be opposed to not playing in Sioux Falls ever again. Both their men's and women's teams would probably be the favorite to step in and lose to Belmont in the OVC championship game year one since the OVC is crap.

As for the Horizon, the Fort Wayne men currently would make a good addition, but in general their attendance and pay scale for coaching isn't in the ballpark for most Horizon schools I don't think. But this is probably there best chance to get in the Horizon if that is actually in play.

The idea of adding Murray State to the MVFC just to support the Valley basketball side is about enough to make me sick. Seriously, let's contact the Montana Schools, Northern Colorado, and one other school and let's get a Summit Football Conference going. Tell the MVC in general to take a leap and let them continue their slow death march without us. I certainly like the idea of this:

Summit League Football Conference
                              SDSU
                              NDSU
                              USD
                              UND
                              Western Illinois
                              Montana
                              Montana State
                              UNC
                              One other (heck, even invite Southern Utah back or add someone like Weber State)

That leaves us with Olympic only sports schools of:
                              UNO
                              ORU
                              Denver

So a 12 team conference which certainly seems manageable. The 9 team football conference seems ideal. To me it just seems that the Dakota Schools and the Montana schools share a similar vision which I don't think are the same as the IUPUI and IPFW's of the world. I guess I personally think we could build much better rivals (and improve attendance) by playing the Montana schools versus the alphabet soup schools.

Leaves the MVFC looking like this:

UNI
                              ISUr
                              ISUb
                              Missouri State
                              Youngstown
                              SIU
                              Murray State

They would probably need to add some more teams, but leaves them with the geography they like. Between UNI, ISUr, and Youngstown they would still have quality teams at the top, but the bottom is very weak (kind of Big Sky like...). They don't seem to like the travel to the Dakota's anyway, so they should love this.

But at the end of the day, I would like to see the Summit be aggressive and try and grow with similar institutions rather than sit back and be poached by others. If we were able to add the core I listed, the eventual loss of ORU and Denver really wouldn't be much of an issue for us.
                              Last edited by SteelSD; 04-21-2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

SteelSD; what did the IUPUI coach have to say during the SLT? I missed that statement.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X