2011 recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Who is the last successful JUCO recruit that we've brought in? I can't think of any significant players in some time but can think of plenty that haven't worked out at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
      Who is the last successful JUCO recruit that we've brought in? I can't think of any significant players in some time but can think of plenty that haven't worked out at all.
      One of the all-time great Jacks was Chris White from Hammond, Indiana. I don't know where he played his junior college ball at, but he was an All-American for the Jacks and is 11th all-time in scoring while only playing 2 years. He not only provided great memories, he was an outstanding leader. He played from the fall of 1990 to spring of 1992.

Steve Lingenfelter transferred from the University of Minnesota and he is also an all-time great for SDSU. He first suited up for the Jacks in the fall of 1979. I never saw him play, but many debated if he was the best post player for the Jacks when I was watching Tetzlaff in his prime.

Jim Walker also played for the Rabbits after two years of juco ball. He averaged almost 18 points per game over his two year career in the late 70's. It sure would be nice to get a 6'9" post like either Lingenfelter or Walker to help out in the post.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
        One of the all-time great Jacks was Chris White from Hammond, Indiana. I don't know where he played his junior college ball at, but he was an All-American for the Jacks and is 11th all-time in scoring while only playing 2 years. He not only provided great memories, he was an outstanding leader. He played from the fall of 1990 to spring of 1992.

Steve Lingenfelter transferred from the University of Minnesota and he is also an all-time great for SDSU. He first suited up for the Jacks in the fall of 1979. I never saw him play, but many debated if he was the best post player for the Jacks when I was watching Tetzlaff in his prime.

Jim Walker also played for the Rabbits after two years of juco ball. He averaged almost 18 points per game over his two year career in the late 70's. It sure would be nice to get a 6'9" post like either Lingenfelter or Walker to help out in the post.
        Right, and those guys all played 20 years or more ago. I know we've had a few JUCO role players recently (Frias, Berte) but I don't think we're going to find our stud #5 going that route. Although I'm sure our progression record wise and having a PG like Wolters should definitely help the cause in looking for one.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post

I think Jermain Showers was JUCO and I know Juriad Hughes transferred in from somewhere. They key point, all during the DII era and under fairly unique circumstances. Take that for what its worth. JUCO's are a gamble and gambling comes with consequences and those consequences can occur even when you win. So, its not as easy as it might seem to some. I say we play with what we have since we have to play with what we have.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I say we play with what we have since we have to play with what we have.
            Good idea.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

http://thegazette.com/2011/02/10/ex-...-for-kirkwood/

The Jacks had an assistant at Cougill's game, apparently UNI was there as well

Comment

Depends on your definition of "successful" I guess. Are you talking about all-time greats or guys that contributed, or guys that were good teammates and practice players (successful teams need those guys too).

Here's a few more that I would say "worked out".

Turk Watson - 439 points and 202 rebounds in 2 years for an average of 8 and 3.5 per game.

James Banks - Maybe not totally successful since he left after 1 year, but he did average 8.7 pts (218 total) and 5.6 rebounds (139 total) in 25 games. Without him the 19 win season is maybe a 15 win season.

Mohammed Berte - Averaged 8.5 pts and 7.2 reb his first year and 3.2 and 3.5 his last.

I would guess the percentage of JUCO players that are successful is about the same percentage as high school kids that are successful. The disadvantage is you only get them for 2 years (3 if you're lucky), whereas a high school kid is there for 4 or 5 years.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

just because you've had bad luck with Juco's doesn't mean you should forget about them. In the perfect world you would get 2-4 recruits a year, redshirt the ones that need it, everyone stays 4-5 years and everyone contributes. But the facts are that just doesn't happen very often and you need some bodies to fill the voids. The Jacks currently have 2 recruits signed, Horstman is a Chad White type player, and I haven't seen the kid from Chicago but from what it sounds is similar as well. They will help the team, but the Jacks will need a big man, and if it has to be from the JuCo's so be it.

Comment

If your a big man and see Nate Wolters dishing out the # of assists that he does why wouldn't you want to sign with the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      If your a big man and see Nate Wolters dishing out the # of assists that he does why wouldn't you want to sign with the Jacks.
                      While we're at it, send the link to Moss' IUPUI hammer-dunk around to a couple of guys we're trying to recruit, who like to play above the rim and let them imagine the possibilities for next year . . .
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I don't disagree but its got to be just right. The right kid, the right timing to give up a freshman scholarship, the right team chemistry, etc... Its not as easy as finding a big, warm body with some experience.

I can tell you from experience, a high school recruit looking at a program that has a history of bringing in JUCO's or transfers doesn't ignore that fact. It definitely comes with a cost when you go the JUCO/transfer route. Doesn't mean it isn't worth the risk just realize that there is risk. Of course, there is risk when you take a high school kid too.
                        I'm not high on the JUCO route, and know that Nagy has always preferred to bring in freshmen and bring them up through his system. But sometimes you have to look at the situation, and the one we have right now is that we will have only 8 players back from this year's team next fall, and we only have two announced recruits. We've got some room, and we've got some need and I hope we can find somebody who will help make this team better the next couple of years.

Comment

Jim Wallker about 30 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                            Jim Wallker about 30 years ago?
                            More recent Chris White about 1990=91

Comment

I think Jermain Showers was JUCO and I know Juriad Hughes transferred in from somewhere. They key point, all during the DII era and under fairly unique circumstances. Take that for what its worth. JUCO's are a gamble and gambling comes with consequences and those consequences can occur even when you win. So, its not as easy as it might seem to some. I say we play with what we have since we have to play with what we have.
                              Jermaine Showers was not a juco- he was brought in as a freshman in the same class as Tom Rops. Can't remember for sure if Hughes was juco- know he spent some time at either New Mexico or New Mexico State.

Comment

You can watch future Jackrabbit Zach Horstman go against the Custer Wildcats from the Elmen Center tonight at: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hartle...ing-video-feed

Comment

Working...
                                X