Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Attendance & Alcohol

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    By in large I agree with your post, and have long time ago turned off KWSN and their blather. I am sure our staff is working very hard trying to get things going in Sioux Falls. As I stated in another post, putting efforts and support in attracting SF support seems to be a relatively new concept, that was a big recommendation in the Carr Report which was the study for considering D1 move. Before these events, trying to attract support beyond SDSU Friends and Alums in SF was unheard of. I think Admin thought they could support 18 or 19 sports from following and support from approximately 68 counties rural counties. In the distance past, I sensed that the Admin did not need the "big shots from SF, who ruined the rural hunting by leaving cattle gates open". There seems to be that kind of rural attitude today but maybe not as much as there once was. I think AD Sell has a big task ahead of him with the alcohol issue. It really needs to be implemented carefully and since this is what society wants, then the SDSU has no choice but to follow. Another n poster commented and shared a link, that there is this organization that specializes in alcohol impairment. I think it would be a good investment. Some of our very proud tailgaters, who might be dealing with an alcohol problem will have more that the UPD to deal with. An other set of impartial eyes. Our game day experience should be a good one with good clean fun, and not a kegger atmosphere. I enjoy your posts, they are thoughtful and informative.

The bottom line is that our decisions made 30 or 40 years ago impact today. Perhaps this why we struggle with a growing fan base.
    I think your spot on in your last sentence. What we are building today isnt for today, its to build the culture for the future. Building a base doesn't happen over night. It takes getting families, and kids to buy in, and yes trying to attract fans from Sioux Falls. I still think our best bet is to reach out to those connected to SDSU but maybe our fair weather fans at best who maybe come to Hobo Day or little else, and to give them more reasons to come to campus. Sorry for posting this before but if SDSU can get college of arts and science to get alumni on campus for say a scholarship fundraiser but tie that to a football game. Same with on campus organizations, fraternities and clubs etc. Give alumni more reasons to be there and over time slowly build that culture. Years ago there was a lot of interest and we were working our way into the rankings of the top 25 FCS and I remember just when we were receiving votes to be in the top 25 was exciting. Games against Stephen F Austin had 14K it seemed, now we are struggling to bring 8K against top 10 team and we are in the top 10. I think sadly some of the newness has worn off and that early excitement faded which I think is as much a factor as anything. Same with basketball. Like Megan Vogel led team playing USC I think and some of those early WNIT games at Frost were standing room only and probably some of the best basketball games I have ever been a part of. It was exciting and new and fun and now its just more of the same. Good job to NDSU to keep their fan base bought in for football.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think it would help if the major media outlets; press, radio and TV, covered FCS, MVFC and Summit League. Right now they cover SDSU and USD. The rest of the conference, hardly. The rest of FCS and mid-major schools, not at all. I know more about FCS than the guys on KWSN. Maybe with Augie moving up that will change. Maybe, but I doubt it.
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
        I think it would help if the major media outlets; press, radio and TV, covered FCS, MVFC and Summit League. Right now they cover SDSU and USD. The rest of the conference, hardly. The rest of FCS and mid-major schools, not at all. I know more about FCS than the guys on KWSN. Maybe with Augie moving up that will change. Maybe, but I doubt it.
        Hell, the KWSN guys (Gaskins, anyway) go out of their way to NOT watch SDSU and USD games on MidcoSN--they've got more important things to do like watch the Cornhuskers, don't cha know.

Also, I love how Gaskins rips off without attribution stories from GoJacks.com and USD and posts it on kwsn.com under his own byline.

Classy and oh, so professional.

See:
        https://kwsn.com/news/articles/2019/...rizona/960023/
        https://gojacks.com/news/2019/11/21/...px?path=mbball
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Journalism isn't what it used to be. Sad part is they might get more subscribers, listeners, viewers (and more ad $$) if they did the work and reported the conferences, FCS and mid-majors.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
            Journalism isn't what it used to be. Sad part is they might get more subscribers, listeners, viewers (and more ad $$) if they did the work and reported the conferences, FCS and mid-majors.
            I would listen to them if they did more of what you mentioned. I couldn't give a **** less what these local yokels think about Nebraska, Iowa, pro football. All they know is the same as I know. None of them has any sort of inside scoop. They get their information from the exact same place we all do. Some are so unprofessional that they just regurgitate what was said on their very own radio network earlier in the day. Do they think we don't listen to anything except for their show? Please don't give us your take on a national story. Maybe spend some time getting to know the coaches, players and stories of the teams the local teams play.
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              Hell, the KWSN guys (Gaskins, anyway) go out of their way to NOT watch SDSU and USD games on MidcoSN--they've got more important things to do like watch the Cornhuskers, don't cha know.

Also, I love how Gaskins rips off without attribution stories from GoJacks.com and USD and posts it on kwsn.com under his own byline.

Classy and oh, so professional.

See:
              https://kwsn.com/news/articles/2019/...rizona/960023/
              https://gojacks.com/news/2019/11/21/...px?path=mbball
              How the hell can he get away with that?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                How the hell can he get away with that?
                Probably nobody's called him out on it until now.

Some lurker in the SDSU SID office or in Jackrabbit Sports Properties should probably give KWSN a friendly phone call asking about it.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Some lurker in the SDSU SID office or in Jackrabbit Sports Properties should probably give KWSN a friendly phone call asking about it.
                  Interesting take on how some view lack of author ID as justification for lack of citation.

Comment

Have to wonder how many folks are echoing Ms. Dailey's response to Stig's plea mentioned here.

Almost certain teams are prohibited from reducing ticket prices below most expensive regular season game rates. Of course, we've seen sponsors buying tickets and offering reduced rates, but regular season prices are one way department handcuffs itself during playoffs.

Hopefully Athletics explains ticket pricing so fans like Wendy don't misunderstand Athletics' level of influence during playoffs.
                    Last edited by jakejc795; 11-24-2019, 01:22 PM.

Comment

MAINSTAND TICKET PRICES

Tier 3 - $27
                      Tier 2 - $37
                      Tier 1 - $47

GROUP TICKETS
                      $15 (Minimum of 15 tickets)

PREMIUM TICKET PRICES

CLUB SEAT
                      $100 Current Club Seat Holder ($125 for additional club seats)
                      $150 Non-Club Seat Holder

LOGE SEAT
                      $175 Current Loge Seat Holder ($200 for additional loge seats)
                      $275 Non-Loge Seat Holder

SUITE
                      $3,000 Current Suite Holder
                      $3,500 Non-Suite Holder

I have some thoughts but I don’t know how the athletic dept determines the prices. These prices will give fans an excuse, as will Dec. chilly temps. I like the group ticket price though.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                        MAINSTAND TICKET PRICES

Tier 3 - $27
                        Tier 2 - $37
                        Tier 1 - $47

GROUP TICKETS

PREMIUM TICKET PRICES

CLUB SEAT

LOGE SEAT

SUITE
                        $3,500 Non-Suite Holder

I have some thoughts but I don’t know how the athletic dept determines the prices. These prices will give fans an excuse, as will Dec. chilly temps. I like the group ticket price though.
                        Didn't the FCA or some other organization do one of those group buys for a playoff game last year ? The way crowds have been for the playoff games, buy the cheapest ticket and you'll be able to sit in a pretty good seat.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          MAINSTAND TICKET PRICES

Tier 3 - $27
                          Tier 2 - $37
                          Tier 1 - $47

GROUP TICKETS

PREMIUM TICKET PRICES

CLUB SEAT

LOGE SEAT

SUITE
                          $3,500 Non-Suite Holder

Curious about your thoughts. I am basing my conjecture about ticket prices on what I believe was an explanation in one of the programs from first playoff game I attended several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Didn't the FCA or some other organization do one of those group buys for a playoff game last year ? The way crowds have been for the playoff games, buy the cheapest ticket and you'll be able to sit in a pretty good seat.
                            Yes, I believe you are correct about FCA.

In addition to a good seat, you just might see notable former players. Got a chance to thank Wieneke in person for the years of enjoyment during Duquesne game. That alone was worth price of a ticket.

Comment

I can't speak with authority on this case, but a lot of PR offices don't really care if someone else wants to take credit for their work, at long as the material gets published or broadcast - the less editing and fewer changes the better. PR offices' priority is to get their message out, and the media can help. That said, responsible journalists usually disclose their sources and give credit where credit is due.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Was really nice to be able to get stamped and go out to tailgating area at halftime and return for second half at USD. They need to relax some of the hard core rules at SDSU!

Comment

Working...
                                X