X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Future Schedules

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
    Game against Drake being moved to Brookings. Looks like a 7 game home schedule this year.
    Season ticket prices will stay the same w/ a 7th home game. Essentially getting 7th game for price of 6.

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
      I wonder why the change. That would have been a good game for Drake to host. Quality opponent at home, and I'm sure plenty of Jacks fan would make the trip to increase revenue.
      Not sure if I've ever seen this before. Seen games bought out entirely, but not swapping sites.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

I wonder if we'll spit revenue with them since the contract would have been signed to play in Des Moines? Or if it's just a normal home game and we pay them the usual rate for a non-conference home game? Interesting deal.

7 home games in a 12 game season is awesome.

Comment

So after playing @UM on 8/29, the Jacks won't have a road game until 10/12 @ YSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
            So after playing @UM on 8/29, the Jacks won't have a road game until 10/12 @ YSU.
            I think there is a good explanation for moving the Drake game to Brookings and no doubt it has to do with dollars. When Drake played scholarship football they had a pretty good facility and I doubt they have filled it since playing Pioneer League ball. Somewhere I seen a picture of their facility and it was starting to look run down. Could it be some of the bleachers are no longer safe? How much of guarantee do we pay?

Comment

Drake plays football in the same stadium which hosts the Drake Relays. It's in very good shape with Field Turf all-weather turf and seating for 18,000+. I do not know about their football game attendance but the facility has a nice "old school" feel to it and it's a nice place to play and watch football (and track).

Correction on the seating: Drake's Stadium held 18,000 from 1925 to 2005. It was renovated in 2005 at a cost of $15 million and the stated capacity was reduced to 14,557. (Wikipedia)

Comment

I'm fine with another home game. Another chance to watch the Jack's but It was the easiest road game so wouldn't be bummed if it was play on the road.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  Drake plays football in the same stadium which hosts the Drake Relays. It's in very good shape with Field Turf all-weather turf and seating for 18,000+. I do not know about their football game attendance but the facility has a nice "old school" feel to it and it's a nice place to play and watch football (and track).

Correction on the seating: Drake's Stadium held 18,000 from 1925 to 2005. It was renovated in 2005 at a cost of $15 million and the stated capacity was reduced to 14,557. (Wikipedia)
                  Thank You, apparently not the facility. I had forgotten all about the Drake Relays.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                    I wonder if we'll spit revenue with them since the contract would have been signed to play in Des Moines? Or if it's just a normal home game and we pay them the usual rate for a non-conference home game? Interesting deal.

7 home games in a 12 game season is awesome.
                    yes an interesting deal. I hope more details become public on why the deviation from the original contract. No complaints here , just overly curious. How do you not take a hit on this change?
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 05-16-2019, 04:59 AM.

Comment

I have a brother who is a Drake grad. He is speculating (he doesn't know what is actually going on) that Drake will come out better financially by taking a check to play at SDSU vs hosting SDSU. Apparently Drake is not drawing big crowds to its football games.

One "drawback" to being in the ranks of those schools who are in the hunt for the FCS title each season: tougher to schedule other top FCS teams. NDSU has a tough time scheduling both FCS AND FBS teams because they've beaten so many decent FBS opponents. Other than MVFC teams who have no choice, what FCS team trying to have a good record wants to play the Bison? The Bison are fortunate to have some of the best fan support so they can afford to pay more to attract opponents.

SDSU's consistently good teams in recent years cause the same trouble finding really good opponents. And then there is some art to scheduling: the win/loss record is critical to making the playoffs.

Today a USD friend was ribbing me about this year's OOC schedule. I told him that if USD can get to the level of being a consistent playoff contender, they'll have the same trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        I have a brother who is a Drake grad. He is speculating (he doesn't know what is actually going on) that Drake will come out better financially by taking a check to play at SDSU vs hosting SDSU. Apparently Drake is not drawing big crowds to its football games.

One "drawback" to being in the ranks of those schools who are in the hunt for the FCS title each season: tougher to schedule other top FCS teams. NDSU has a tough time scheduling both FCS AND FBS teams because they've beaten so many decent FBS opponents. Other than MVFC teams who have no choice, what FCS team trying to have a good record wants to play the Bison? The Bison are fortunate to have some of the best fan support so they can afford to pay more to attract opponents.

SDSU's consistently good teams in recent years cause the same trouble finding really good opponents. And then there is some art to scheduling: the win/loss record is critical to making the playoffs.

Today a USD friend was ribbing me about this year's OOC schedule. I told him that if USD can get to the level of being a consistent playoff contender, they'll have the same trouble.
                        I believe your brother’s conclusion is correct , I am trying to figure out.how SDSU will make up.the lost revenue from not collecting on the extra game from season ticket holders. I hav no idea how many we are. In the priority points rankings they use 8000 and change, but I think basketball only are in that count. Using a number like 6000, times $40 for ticket price, it amounts to 240, 000 dollars. We won’t have 6000 casual fans or will we?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          I believe your brother’s conclusion is correct , I am trying to figure out.how SDSU will make up.the lost revenue from not collecting on the extra game from season ticket holders. I hav no idea how many we are. In the priority points rankings they use 8000 and change, but I think basketball only are in that count. Using a number like 6000, times $40 for ticket price, it amounts to 240, 000 dollars. We won’t have 6000 casual fans or will we?
                          Early in the year for OOC? Those games usually draw pretty well. If it was in October I would say no way, but with it being in September I can see it. I’m sure Sell did his homework before this got ironed out. And even if it ends up losing some money, an argument could be made that getting an extra early season game, that’s far more likely to have good weather, is an investment into building the fan base. Having a great time at a decent weather game is probably a better starting point to draw more casual fans into coming to more games than a late season cold weather game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

The k
                            Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                            Early in the year for OOC? Those games usually draw pretty well. If it was in October I wouldn’t say no way, but with it being in September I can see it. I’m sure Sell did his homework before this got ironed out. And even if it ends up losing some money, an argument could be made that getting an extra early season game, that’s far more likely to have good weather, is an investment into building the fan base. Having a great time at a decent weather game is probably a better starting point to draw more casual fans into coming to more games than a late season cold weather game.

Your points are valid especially about Sell doing his homework. Not mentioned anywhere is the possibility of guaranteed basketball games in the future. I would think the Drake basketball budget has a bunch of wiggle room. I just thought Sell and crew were being whimps for not asking for more money, but maybe they don’t have to.
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 05-17-2019, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                              Early in the year for OOC? Those games usually draw pretty well. If it was in October I would say no way, but with it being in September I can see it. I’m sure Sell did his homework before this got ironed out. And even if it ends up losing some money, an argument could be made that getting an extra early season game, that’s far more likely to have good weather, is an investment into building the fan base. Having a great time at a decent weather game is probably a better starting point to draw more casual fans into coming to more games than a late season cold weather game.

It's another great early season opportunity to load up the minivan with non-traditional Jackrabbit fans to show them what the gameday atmosphere is like and get them on board as casual fans. I will be doing my damndest to get a couple vehicles full. It helps to have a 9 year old son who is passionate about sports and Jackrabbit football in particular. We always bring a couple of his friends and hopefully their dads start making the trip as well. That's four to six extra tickets per home game. Can't wait for the season to start.

Comment

With the way mens basketball is headed FCS Football is more legitimate opportunity to truly compete. Look forward forward to the season!
                                Last edited by JACKGUYII; 05-17-2019, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X