Hobo Week - Youngstown State Penguins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobo Week - Youngstown State Penguins

Alright, let's move on from the debacle that was last Saturday.

Jacks are 15.5 point favorites this week. I assume that everyone will be focused this week due to last week's performance and a poor recent history of performances on Hobo Day. Youngstown State comes in with a 2-3 record (losses against FBS West Virginia and PIONEER LEAGUE BUTLER, who just lost to DRAKE 36-6). They beat a very unimpressive Valpo by 35 at home and SIU by 3 at home, while losing to WIU away by 7. We should be able to handle business and come away with a 35-17 victory in what looks like a down year for the guins.

Re: Hobo Week - Youngstown State Penguins

Anyone hear any update on our two o linemen that got hurt Saturday? Or any other injuries? I assume Lewis is close to coming back, and maybe Cambell too. It'd be great to get some guys back this game.

Comment

Here is my scouting take on YSU- https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...own-state.html

Stop McCaster and we should be okay against their offense. Their Notre Dame grad transfer QB is not great.

Campbell should be back. Zy will be back. Lewis may be out again. Oline status is uncertain.

This certainly isn't a game that you want inexperienced linemen playing in... especially against their defensive ends where they are still very talented.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Thanks, WestSideRabbit. Your 34-24 prediction sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
          Anyone hear any update on our two o linemen that got hurt Saturday? Or any other injuries? I assume Lewis is close to coming back, and maybe Cambell too. It'd be great to get some guys back this game.
          Lewis had a couple of tweets last night that seemed to indicate he may be close to returning. Tyler said on the postgame show on Saturday that Genant was on crutches and Weir had his arm in a sling. which didn't sound positive for a quick return.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Lewis had a couple of tweets last night that seemed to indicate he may be close to returning. Tyler said on the postgame show on Saturday that Genant was on crutches and Weir had his arm in a sling. which didn't sound positive for a quick return.
            I sit right behind the Jacks bench and Genant was looked at by the Docs for a bit then carted off the field. I doubt we see either this weekend.

Comment

Let's win this sucker! If only to make Pelini upset. I'd like to see another of his priceless post game press conferences, if possible.

Comment

The one positive about last week is that if we would have lost, this game would have been super depressing. So at least there's that. I'm praying for dry weather. Don't care about the temperature much, but last year's rainstorm was brutal. Give me dry and sunny.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  Let's win this sucker! If only to make Pelini upset. I'd like to see another of his priceless post game press conferences, if possible.
                  Yes. Seeing Pelini blow a gasket on the sideline is well worth the price of admission! I almost watch him more than the game itself when YSU is in town!
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Here are the issues that I want to see corrected this week:

Defense
                    - Let our DBs play some tight coverage, whether that's zone or man. So what if we get beat by a deep shot now and then? We have the offense to respond very quickly. We are consistently in VERY soft coverage, starting 10-12 yards off the guy and back pedaling right away. If I was calling plays against SDSU defense, I would be taking 10 yd chunks all day on short throws. Imo, the defensive play calling was completely cowardly on Saturday.
                    - Just watched the end of the ISUb game. On what should have been their game winning drive that started at the 1 yd line, we were in a base 4-3 setup trying to run zone coverage with 3 LBs in an obvious passing scenario... that is completely inexcusable.
                    - We have got to do something about our 3rd down defense. I think the main problem is that our Defensive coaches are too stubborn to get out of the 4-3 and has to run zone out of it, then our LBs are caught in no man's land and the QB is able to scramble for an easy 1st down. At some point, our Defensive coaching should have to start making some changes or answering some questions. If you want to call conservative defense to start, that's fine, but for the love of god make some adjustments if it's not working. Credit to ISUb coaching, they called a great game against our defense, and I really hope that we make adjustments.

Offense - Not much to copmlain about, but on 3rd down, let TC throw the ball downfield. WAYYY too many swing passes and WR screens. I know if it's 3rd and long you do that in some scenarios because defenses are playing soft and you might be able to spring a guy loose with some good blocks, but when we just let TC do his thing and dissect the defense, our 3rd down success rate seems to be so much better.

Marshon Harris - he's either got to play better in a hurry or get off the field altogether.

Dalton Cox - on a couple long game changing run plays, Cox made a terrible read and let the run go right up his alley without him even having to be blocked and no chance of him tackling the RB.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

Dalton Cox - on a couple long game changing run plays, Cox made a terrible read and let the run go right up his alley without him even having to be blocked and no chance of him tackling the RB.
                      I would agree on this. Dalton played so well last year but I think he has come back to Earth so far in 2018. Its hard to say about a guy who leads the team in tackles. I'm guessing that the plan was to have Noah Urbanek starting this year and using Dalton in certain situations. Unfortunately, Noah had to retire.

Overall, I agree with your point about the defense. I don't understand the unwillingness to come out of the base 4-3 defense. If nothing else, move Snyder (if healthy-ish) to linebacker and bring in an extra safety if you don't want to bring in 3 CBs.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                        I would agree on this. Dalton played so well last year but I think he has come back to Earth so far in 2018. Its hard to say about a guy who leads the team in tackles. I'm guessing that the plan was to have Noah Urbanek starting this year and using Dalton in certain situations. Unfortunately, Noah had to retire.

Overall, I agree with your point about the defense. I don't understand the unwillingness to come out of the base 4-3 defense. If nothing else, move Snyder (if healthy-ish) to linebacker and bring in an extra safety if you don't want to bring in 3 CBs.
                        If you ask me, I would rather see more of Backhaus. I think Backhaus is much better in pass coverage and just as good in the run game.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                          If you ask me, I would rather see more of Backhaus. I think Backhaus is much better in pass coverage and just as good in the run game.
                          Isn't he already in there most of the time in base 4-3?

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                            Isn't he already in there most of the time in base 4-3?
                            Seems like Cox/Backhaus/Wilson/Kleinschmidt split time as the other 2 LBs beside Rozeboom. I have no stats to support that, just a feeling from observing (I don't think SDSU stats keep track of how many plays they're in for, it would be interesting). Hopefully between all the LB and DB shuffling, they're just trying to figure out who they want in there for the majority of time, but I think it can definitely hurt a defense if you have so much shuffling and aren't familiar with each other. We are definitely deeper than normal, so I get the rotation thing, but it seems like we need to figure out how to manage it without it being detrimental do the defense.

Comment

SDSU defensive coaches must be taking notes from Oklahoma's Mike Stoops who just got fired for poor defensive play calling. The drive outlined in this article is exactly the frustrating part about the way SDSU calls its defense. Funny that it was posted today.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...a-fired-baylor

Comment

Working...
                              X