Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Beef Bowl GDT vs. Cal Poly

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    Defense was a joke. Nothing more needs to be said there.

What isn't getting enough flack, in my opinion, is the offensive line. We can't run the ball and our QBs are running for their lives. Just awful.

Only bright spots for me: TC is still upright (barely), Jake and Goedert are incredible, and I thought the special teams was really good. Kick coverage was phenomenal and the kick return game was productive. That doesn't always happen for SDSU.

Without good line play, it doesn't matter.
    From what I saw, CP consistently beat both SDSU's o-line and d-line--the Mustangs were beating the o-line regularly, causing both problems in the running game and additional training room time for TC, but they were wantonly abusing the d-line.

Difference between the offense and defense is that the offense has a couple of NFL-caliber receivers to lean on, whereas the back end of the defense isn't nearly good enough cover up deficiencies at the line.

31 points at home should be enough to win any game. The offense isn't perfect but it's not what's dragging this team down. The defense, on the other hand--I'll give it one more game before they will have amply earned a label of a **bad** defense.

Not "mediocre," not "average."

Bad.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Oh really! While we are at it, let move back to Sexauer Field (0ld State Field) Sounds like butt hurt to me. Cal Poly came to win and that's what happen.
      Why not? Hunt down Ralph Ginn's playbook, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
        Why not? Hunt down Ralph Ginn's playbook, maybe.
        Yah why not.

Comment

I was worried about this game. That triple option was impressive. And their multiple blitzes kept the O off balance.

This loss does not surprise me.

Also, Cal Poly was good last night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

It appeared to me as the players played tight last night. And from the interviews all week, I suspect that was partly related to the concern the coaches had with Cal Poly ability. The coaches were correct in being concerned, but it would be good to see them instill some confidence in the players by having clearer schemes and making adjustments. We didn't appear to make any adjustments on defense and seemed to sit in what became our base for the evening. The base defense worked the first series and that was about it. Let the players react to the situation and play. They need to be energized and confident on the field with both their assignment and the scheme.

Comment

The defense is bad and has been for three games. The comments that the defense is the strength of this team is totally inaccurate as stated during spring practice and fall camp. The defensive coaches and players need to look in the mirror and find some answers to the problems. Defense is not that good right now and better coaching, preparation and execute during the game must happen or changes need to be done. The defensive tackles spend too many plays two to five yards downfield, the wrong direction. This means no tackles in the backfield and LBs getting caught in the pile and not making tackles. Get in the backfield two to five yards, the right direction.

why are the two starting defensive tackles rotated out so many times during the game? No other college teams rotate defensive tackles like SDSU and play the full game. Who came up with this concept? There is a dropoff in talent going to the second tackles. Play your starters until they need out!

Comment

The offense is ok. The Oline plays well until the opponent starts blitzing and that is difficult for all offenses. The Qb has 2-3 seconds to get rid of the ball on blitzes. Qb must read and anticape blitzes and call audibles. The five step drop back will not work unless it is a screen during a blitz.

The main reason the Goedert and Weineke get the ball is Oline blocking and Qb releasing the ball on time or sooner when blitzed Go talk to coaches and offensive players instead of blaming the Oline for every offensive issue as a fan and you will hear the truth about the Oline play instead of guessing. Scoring points is what the offense does as a group, it takes all. All fans would immediately take 31 points in any game and expect to win.

Question?
                Why does Weineke come out so often in the game? He catches a 12 yard pass and comes out. Unless he is hurt the offensive needs the playmakers in the game whether you use him or not on the next play. He is not running fly patterns each play. Often, Goedert and Weineke come out of the game together. Why take your two offensive threats out together? Defenses love when these two guys come out of the game. I am confused on that logic. Yes they need a break but the timing seems odd most of the time.

Comment

We fans knew coming into the season that the O-line was suspect because of injuries and departures and that it needed to be restocked. The O-line played OK against Cal Poly, though. We thought the D-line was going to be a team strength in talent and depth. That hasn't been the case yet, so the D-line is the real disappointment. But this team could improve and do a lot of damage in the conference. Let's get off the ledge.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    We fans knew coming into the season that the O-line was suspect because of injuries and departures and that it needed to be restocked. The O-line played OK against Cal Poly, though. We thought the D-line was going to be a team strength in talent and depth. That hasn't been the case yet, so the D-line is the real disappointment. But this team could improve and do a lot of damage in the conference. Let's get off the ledge.
                    Maybe they over-bulked themselves.

Comment

SDSU football season begins now. Win the MVFC games and you can accomplish football goals. Go Jacks!

Comment

Defensive thoughts.
                        The DEs are very thin and second team players are not making plays. How about moving D Cox to DE? He makes a ton of plays on special teams. How about moving C Lang to DE? He could be the strong side end with his size and it seems his motor runs on every play. Making changes at this position for depth is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                          Really hope you're kidding with that last statement. Can't really tell though.....
                          Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Not kidding
                          I let this lie because of the game happening right after, but do you think that everyone should be assigned a UPD officer as well? Just because you don't drink doesn't mean you get to dictate how others live their lives, fun fact. Stay up in your box if you think it's that awful.
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post

Question?
                            Why does Weineke come out so often in the game? He catches a 12 yard pass and comes out. Unless he is hurt the offensive needs the playmakers in the game whether you use him or not on the next play. He is not running fly patterns each play. Often, Goedert and Weineke come out of the game together. Why take your two offensive threats out together? Defenses love when these two guys come out of the game. I am confused on that logic. Yes they need a break but the timing seems odd most of the time.
                            I noticed it last year, and it's held true this year: when Wieneke comes out of the game, we run the ball without fail. We never pass when he comes off the field. Wanna bet that opposing DCs have noticed that pattern? Doesn't mean we don't run when he's on the field, but we ALWAYS run when he comes off.

Watch for it next game.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I noticed it last year, and it's held true this year: when Wieneke comes out of the game, we run the ball without fail. We never pass when he comes off the field. Wanna bet that opposing DCs have noticed that pattern? Doesn't mean we don't run when he's on the field, but we ALWAYS run when he comes off.

Watch for it next game.
                              I'm of the firm belief that issues like this are why we don't 1.)Go further into the playoffs 2.)lose games we shouldn't 3.)lose to NDSU as many times as we have when even USD and Mo. State have beaten them. Something they feel the need to point out during basketball games.

Comment

Your last post before this was during the Denver game in the SL tourney when you were ****ting on the heart and commitment of our players. Why do you only come out when SDSU is doing poorly?
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day for one. And I expect upperclassmen to be leaders and coaches to have teams prepared. Lastly, I will happy be the voice opposed to mediocrity. If that becomes my gig, so be it. If you want to log in and defend what we watched last night, so be it.
                                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                                X