Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Recruiting List

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Yes he is red shirted and I asked Stig about his progress at a Difference Makers meeting. He said he is doing okay, but he said something to the affect he was "too laid back. But he has always been that way". Why would you recruit someone with work ethic problems? Now thats a question I did not dare ask. Maybe its because I am one of Coach Stig's biggest fans. I wonder if the staff out voted him in making an offer. Could this be why the Bison passed him over? Lots of questions here. Gandy is not the answer to this years offense problems based on my brief conversation.
    Keep in mind that laid back doesn't mean lazy. You can work hard in the gym and still not be an aggressive or assertive player. I didn't hear the direct comment so you may be right, I'd just caution jumping to those conclusions as laid back can mean different things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
      Keep in mind that laid back doesn't mean lazy. You can work hard in the gym and still not be an aggressive or assertive player. I didn't hear the direct comment so you may be right, I'd just caution jumping to those conclusions as laid back can mean different things.
      "laid back" to me means someone doesn't get too excited,they fore go all the RAH,RAH,RAH.....and just perform their job in a workman like way,not necessarily a bad thing, might even be good as it shows the ability to focus,and exhibits a certain amount of confidence.I wouldn't be too worried about someone who ran for 3,000 + yards.Most great athletes are kind of "laid back"......until gameday!

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        "laid back" to me means someone doesn't get too excited,they fore go all the RAH,RAH,RAH.....and just perform their job in a workman like way,not necessarily a bad thing, might even be good as it shows the ability to focus,and exhibits a certain amount of confidence.I wouldn't be too worried about someone who ran for 3,000 + yards.Most great athletes are kind of "laid back"......until gameday!
        I hope thats what it means. Confused

Comment

Yes he is red shirted and I asked Stig about his progress at a Difference Makers meeting. He said he is doing okay, but he said something to the affect he was "too laid back. But he has always been that way". Why would you recruit someone with work ethic problems? Now thats a question I did not dare ask. Maybe its because I am one of Coach Stig's biggest fans. I wonder if the staff out voted him in making an offer. Could this be why the Bison passed him over? Lots of questions here. Gandy is not the answer to this years offense problems based on my brief conversation.
          If I'm not mistaken Stig described Sumner as laid-back type of person. Doesn't mean that they aren't good, it's just that they don't get too high or too low. Tom Brady comes to mind as a person that is laid-back
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            If I'm not mistaken Stig described Sumner as laid-back type of person. Doesn't mean that they aren't good, it's just that they don't get too high or too low. Tom Brady comes to mind as a person that is laid-back
            Thanks everyone, I suppose this is the reason I am not thee coach. I have no clues on the emotional make up of a 18-21 year olds. If the recruiting was left up to me, God only knows what kind of roster we would have.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 10-09-2011, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Not my intentions to resurrect a 5 year old thread but it was interesting to go back and read through this looking at the recruiting of this year's seniors.

Quite a few of the walk-ons were contributors.

Comment

This interesting reading. I see TJ Lalley had an offer from E Michigan but none from USD, so my recall may be faulty. One interesting subject was Matt Hermansen and his recruitment by Montana. Apparently he left the team somewhere along the trail, as I did not hear any mention of him yesterday. His father played for SDSU and as everyone knows coached SF Wash.

Comment

This interesting reading. I see TJ Lalley had an offer from E Michigan but none from USD, so my recall may be faulty. One interesting subject was Matt Hermansen and his recruitment by Montana. Apparently he left the team somewhere along the trail, as I did not hear any mention of him yesterday. His father played for SDSU and as everyone knows coached SF Wash.
                  Matt Hermanson played as a true freshman at Montana so he had already used up his 4 years of eligibility. He played with the Sioux Falls Storm this past summer.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    Not my intentions to resurrect a 5 year old thread but it was interesting to go back and read through this looking at the recruiting of this year's seniors.

Quite a few of the walk-ons were contributors.
                    I dont have the time or patience to read the thread but Ill bet there are a few posts about how great a recruit is. Chances are decent that recruit probably didnt contribute much. Footbal more than any other sport seems to have a lot of kids that dont pan out and a lot that come out of nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
                      Matt Hermanson played as a true freshman at Montana so he had already used up his 4 years of eligibility. He played with the Sioux Falls Storm this past summer.
                      Thanks that's the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        I dont have the time or patience to read the thread but Ill bet there are a few posts about how great a recruit is. Chances are decent that recruit probably didnt contribute much. Footbal more than any other sport seems to have a lot of kids that dont pan out and a lot that come out of nowhere.
                        The general rule of thumb I've always heard is a third of football recruits are never heard from due to injury, transfer, grades or whatever; a third are contributors at some point during their careers; and a third are major contributors throughout their careers. Haven't done the math to see how this class measures up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                          The general rule of thumb I've always heard is a third of football recruits are never heard from due to injury, transfer, grades or whatever; a third are contributors at some point during their careers; and a third are major contributors throughout their careers. Haven't done the math to see how this class measures up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I think your probably right which is why I dont get too jacked about a recruiting class. Its gonna be two maybe three years before most are making an impact on the field. Then there are guys that get all excited about a recruit, you know the next big thing that never ever sees the field.

The walkons impress me though. They earned every minute they got.

Comment

Working...
                          X