X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit League Tiebreaking Procedures

For basketball . . . made sticky due to continuing interest:
    Tiebreaker Procedures
    Tiebreaker procedures shall be used ONLY to determine seeds for the League tournament. Regular season standings shall stand.
    • If there are multiple ties, the ties shall be broken in descending order. (i.e., a tie at the #1 position will be broken before any others).
    • Once a tie is broken using the procedures below, it shall remain broken for purposes of all future comparisons.
    • Two-team Tiebreaking Criteria. The following criteria should be applied (in order) to break ties between two teams:

1. Results of head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
    2. Comparison of each tied team's record against the team occupying the highest position in the standings continuing down through the standings until a team gains an advantage.
    3. When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group's own tie-breaking procedure) rather than the performance against individual tied teams.
    4. If a tie still cannot be broken after applying criteria (1), (2) and (3), it will be broken by comparing each tied team's RPI (based upon the RPIRankings.com Report issued on the morning following the last regular season League game).

• Multiple-Team Tiebreaking Criteria. The following criteria should be applied to break ties between more than two teams:

1. Results of each tied team's collective record against the other teams tied for the same position.
    2. If multiple ties still remain, then each tied team's record shall be compared to the team or group (if 2 or more are tied) occupying the highest position in the standings continuing down through the standings until a team gains an advantage.
    3. If the above results in two teams remaining, the two-team tiebreaker is used.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Summit League Tiebreaking Procedures

I'm assuming that ORU MBB has the tie-breaker against us because they won by 5 at Tulsa and we won by 2 here. Is that the way you see it? Or are we tied at a game each?

Probably a silly question.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      I'm assuming that ORU MBB has the tie-breaker against us because they won by 5 at Tulsa and we won by 2 here. Is that the way you see it? Or are we tied at a game each?

SUPERBUNNY
      Margin of victory doesn't matter. If we are tied with ORU at the end of the season the tie would be broken by our records against the other teams in the conference starting with the top team and moving down (i.e right now it would be Oakland first, then IUPUI, then the 5th place team, etc.).
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
        Margin of victory doesn't matter. If we are tied with ORU at the end of the season the tie would be broken by our records against the other teams in the conference starting with the top team and moving down (i.e right now it would be Oakland first, then IUPUI, then the 5th place team, etc.).
        Actually if we're tied with ORU at the end of the season at the top of the conference, we're the #2 seed.

SDSU needs to have a full game on ORU to win the #1 seed because of the two losses to the Golden Eagles.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think he is talking men's.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            Actually if we're tied with ORU at the end of the season at the top of the conference, we're the #2 seed.

SDSU needs to have a full game on ORU to win the #1 seed because of the two losses to the Golden Eagles.
            The post I quoted was asking about ORU MBB.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
              The post I quoted was asking about ORU MBB.
              Heading to corner for remedial post-reading drills . . .
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

SUPERBUNNY
                Basically, it comes down to this: If we beat Oakland the next time around and end up tied with ORU (assuming Oakland wins the league), we'll have the tie breaker over ORU (as they have already lost to Oakland twice). If we loss to Oakland but beat IUPUI, then we'll have the tie breaker over ORU if they lose to IUPUI on the 13th, but ORU has IUPUI at home in the upcoming game.

Moral of the story: If the Jacks win all their remaining games they will be ahead of ORU
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                X