Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coyotes humbled again

Originally posted by yotefan90 View Post
    ALL I was trying to say is neither school can make the claim South Dakota's team based on the sole criteria of SD players on a given roster (which is what the previous poster was hinting at).
    No, what the previous poster was hinting at was the idiocy of USD's previous marketing campaign and claims.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

If you go by shear numbers Augie is probably SD's team. I think they have a standing scholarship offer for every starter that plays on a Sioux Falls prep football team. Except Christian of course, but that is because they have only been playing football for three years.

Comment

ALL I was trying to say is neither school can make the claim South Dakota's team based on the sole criteria of SD players on a given roster (which is what the previous poster was hinting at). I was not trying to justify USD's marketing campaign of a few years back. I don't even know if they are still using it, although some of the previous signage I am sure is still out there.

Each school will recruit based on their positional needs that season. If a SD kid #1 is good enough to play at that level and #2 chooses to stay in state that is all the better. My preference is to see as many SD kids as possible on both rosters.
        As long as the state of SD has less than a million people in it, rosters of any sport at each school are going to have a lower percentage of SD kids on it. It is a simple numbers game when it comes down to it.

Comment

ALL I was trying to say is neither school can make the claim South Dakota's team based on the sole criteria of SD players on a given roster (which is what the previous poster was hinting at). I was not trying to justify USD's marketing campaign of a few years back. I don't even know if they are still using it, although some of the previous signage I am sure is still out there.

Each school will recruit based on their positional needs that season. If a SD kid #1 is good enough to play at that level and #2 chooses to stay in state that is all the better. My preference is to see as many SD kids as possible on both rosters.

How about we just say "SDSU - South Dakota's pioneering Division 1 sports university" and leave it at that?
          Recruits and coaches will come and go. This is a fact that can never be refuted or changed. Got a nice ring to it, too.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
            If you go by shear numbers Augie is probably SD's team. I think they have a standing scholarship offer for every starter that plays on a Sioux Falls prep football team. Except Christian of course, but that is because they have only been playing football for three years.
            I think Augie had seven SD kids.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
              How about we just say "SDSU - South Dakota's pioneering Division 1 sports university" and leave it at that?
              Recruits and coaches will come and go. This is a fact that can never be refuted or changed. Got a nice ring to it, too.
              You certainly can't get an argument on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                I took a few marketing classes back in the day while I was pursuing my degree so I feel as if I can chime in here as an expert. I did, afterall, stay at a Holiday Inn a couple days ago.

I like the "Pioneering" angle.

Perhaps USD could go with something like: "USD - We's got Doctors and them law arguing people."
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  I took a few marketing classes back in the day while I was pursuing my degree so I feel as if I can chime in here as an expert. I did, afterall, stay at a Holiday Inn a couple days ago.

I like the "Pioneering" angle.

Perhaps USD could go with something like: "USD - We's got Doctors and them law arguing people that in reality received their undergraduate degrees from pretty much everywhere but USD."
                  Fixed it for you!!
                  SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                    It wouldn't affect SDSU's RPI very much (RPI = 50% your w/l, 25% your opponents' w/l, and 25% your opponents' opponents' w/l, with a correction factor for home court). Basically, beating them wouldn't boost SDSU's RPI as much as it would've boosted the Jacks' Sagarin ratings.

Although, thinking about it, it might move SDSU up a few notches, as they're kind of in the middle of the RPI curve, right now, and a small change in RPI might move them a fair ways in the ranking.
                    You've got your numbers a bit wrong. The basic RPI formula is .25/.5/.25, not .5/.25/.25.

(the following is directed more at the general thread)
                    It's also important to note that RPI is not primarily a ranking of a team's ability; it's primarily a ranking of their strength of schedule. If you want to compare the ability levels of teams, Sagarin and Pomeroy are better sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                      Since this topic was brought up initially to discuss the men lets also not forget that the Mens team is in the drivers seat to win the Great West Conference in their second year of D1 and just ripped a 2-0 conference team on their home court by over 20. It may not be the best conference in the nation but remember how much the "D1" label was used to SDSU's benefit when the Yotes were still in D2. It was always mentioned how much USD would struggle when making the move to "D1". In mens basketball D1 is just that a label. Alot of the clubs are better in D1 but certainly there are many that are also really not that great either. USD was able to play with and nearly beat Cornell who is now slated to be a #10 seed in the latest bracketology projection on ESPN. They actually play tough against them both last year and this year, home and road.

So when saying humbled again as in the topic thread, that is true but it's also true that they have had just as many games where they have looked fairly good.
                      Delusions of grandeur. I shudder to think what you might be posting on coyote friendly fan boards. I'm not sure such boards existed when we made the move to DI, if they did I assure you none of us were there predicting domination at the DI level for SDSU. Our success in football and women's basketball is certainly welcome but was never expected. The relative struggles for men's basketball are greater than anticipated but are part of the process as we now better understand.

I'm a little concerned about some of the coyote fans. I think the next few years are going to bring some rude awakenings. Don't lose faith, stay strong, take your lumps and come out the other side. USD will be a welcome addition to the Summit and the dome will be a tough place to get a road win but I expect you'll struggle just like most.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Wednesday night SDSU played USD in hockey. The score.... 16-4 SDSU. Both of the fights during the game went SDSU's way as well! haha
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                          You've got your numbers a bit wrong. The basic RPI formula is .25/.5/.25, not .5/.25/.25.

(the following is directed more at the general thread)
                          It's also important to note that RPI is not primarily a ranking of a team's ability; it's primarily a ranking of their strength of schedule. If you want to compare the ability levels of teams, Sagarin and Pomeroy are better sources.
                          Thanks for the correction.

Means wins vs. ECU, Cal Poly & whatever that third team was would be even less significant, than under my incorrect recollection of the formula.

Comment

Working...
                          X