Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is your all-time favorte Jackrabbit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who is your all-time favorte Jackrabbit?

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
    I'm somewhat hurt and dismayed that no one has seconded my original vote....TE's get no love...

Here's a more detailed list for me:

FB - Doug Miller
    MBB - Sempy
    WBB - Ann Just
    VB - Rose Ebnet (sp)
    WR - Chad Lamer
    Admin - VJ Smith

As a pathetic effort to get rep points, i vote for TE Jake Hines.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
      As a pathetic effort to get rep points, i vote for TE Jake Hines.
      And Christmas comes early for 2002Jack.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Todd McDonald. By the end of the '93 season he was shredding defenses. That team would've gone far had they gotten into the playoffs.
        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Derek Schantz

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
            Todd McDonald. By the end of the '93 season he was shredding defenses. That team would've gone far had they gotten into the playoffs.
            This is very true and I believe he was either a true freshman or a red shirt when Daley took over from Wayne Haensel. I still recall a comment from Wayne about how his successor, who was not yet named, would inherit a very good class or recruits that did include McDonald. Funny though that no one seems to remember the play calling or the unanswered points from the Montana game in 1993. Fortunely for Luke Meadows, he was playing Pop Warner Football some where. How is a losing a lead of 38-7 differnt from one of 48-21? I suppose you could blame Todd and the bad play calling in 1993 as we did in 2009 on this board. . I think its only fair to point to momentum as being a very important factor in football and once it goes in the opposite direction, you need a lot men and fast horses to stop a runaway train.

Todd's final season was a very successful one in that we got win over both the Nodaks which was not happening very often back then. No question Todd was one of the best we have had at QB.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              This is very true and I believe he was either a true freshman or a red shirt when Daley took over from Wayne Haensel. I still recall a comment from Wayne about how his successor, who was not yet named, would inherit a very good class or recruits that did include McDonald. Funny though that no one seems to remember the play calling or the unanswered points from the Montana game in 1993. Fortunely for Luke Meadows, he was playing Pop Warner Football some where. How is a losing a lead of 38-7 differnt from one of 48-21? I suppose you could blame Todd and the bad play calling in 1993 as we did in 2009 on this board. . I think its only fair to point to momentum as being a very important factor in football and once it goes in the opposite direction, you need a lot men and fast horses to stop a runaway train.

Todd's final season was a very successful one in that we got win over both the Nodaks which was not happening very often back then. No question Todd was one of the best we have had at QB.
              You have to bring back those painful memories don't you

Mac was a RS Soph when Daly took over. Spent Daly's first year behind Shane Bouman, second year as a starter and third year as a stud. Had a great corp of receivers on that 1993 team (five guys over 35 receptions) and Todd was the right guy to distribute. Until this year's team I would have said (and may still) that the 1993 offensive team was maybe the best of at least the past 30 years at SDSU. A couple of BAD early losses kept us out of the playoffs and a legit run at a NC. Had to be one of the best teams in the nation in down the stretch, but those early losses kept us out.

Stood by Mac at the Gopher game this year. Was fun to catch up and get his take on the team during the Gopher game.

Comment

You have to bring back those painful memories don't you

Mac was a RS Soph when Daly took over. Spent Daly's first year behind Shane Bouman, second year as a starter and third year as a stud. Had a great corp of receivers on that 1993 team (five guys over 35 receptions) and Todd was the right guy to distribute. Until this year's team I would have said (and may still) that the 1993 offensive team was maybe the best of at least the past 30 years at SDSU. A couple of BAD early losses kept us out of the playoffs and a legit run at a NC. Had to be one of the best teams in the nation in down the stretch, but those early losses kept us out.

Stood by Mac at the Gopher game this year. Was fun to catch up and get his take on the team during the Gopher game.
                Sorry about that but agree it was a great season. VJ Smith did a chapter on the 1993 season his most current book. He reported on it during the pregame show on Game Day the day we played Montana. How ironic?

Comment

MBB: Brian Norberg
                  WBB: Melissa Pater
                  WVB: Connie Pederson
                  FB: Zach Carter
                  WR: Ryan Resel (2x All-American/National Champ)
                  Track: Jill Sutton (Anyone who was in high school in South Dakota during the late 80's, early 90's is nodding their head in agreement for this selection.)
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Just looked it up, Resel was a 4 time All-American and 2 time national Champ. He placed 2nd as a senior.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

MJA - is that last one based on HS track accomplishments

Comment

MJA - is that last one based on HS track accomplishments
                        Let's just say she was the highlight of any track meet that I ever attended where she was running.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                          Let's just say she was the highlight of any track meet that I ever attended where she was running.
                          ^This

And I don't even know what events she ran.

Comment

Going old school here, but Lee Colburn. He would be a sure starter on any Jackrabbit all-time team in men's basketball. Stood about 6-5 and could play any position. No one crashed around the court harder or had more fun playing basketball. He played in the early 1970s as part of an awesome forward combo with Dave Thomas. Colburn is still No. 2 on the all-time SDSU scoring and rebounding lists.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                              John Thomas, showing my age.
                              What about Lee Colburn, showing my age. RIP

Comment

We all (well, at least I do) have some bias when it comes to remembering the greats from 'back in the day'.

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                                Going old school here, but Lee Colburn. He would be a sure starter on any Jackrabbit all-time team in men's basketball. Stood about 6-5 and could play any position. No one crashed around the court harder or had more fun playing basketball. He played in the early 1970s as part of an awesome forward combo with Dave Thomas. Colburn is still No. 2 on the all-time SDSU scoring and rebounding lists.
                                His senior year was 72-73...drafted by Houston Rockets. Also had several NFL teams take hard looks at him as a receiver. Hands were bigger than the biggest tennis racket heads. He and teammate Dave Thomas were listed as 6-6. From the Hall of Fame pages on GoJacks.com:

Some called them the best forward combination to ever play in the North Central Conference. John Egan, longtime sports editor of the Sioux Falls Argus Leader wrote: "Who's better, Dave or Lee? Who's got the best chance in pro ball? Which is the better scorer, rebounder, feeder, defensive player? The questions are academic, really, because Jim Marking had Dave AND Lee. Thomas and Colburn, that is, and they had amazingly similar senior seasons for South Dakota State's Jackrabbits.”

The duo of 6-foot-6 South Dakota natives — Colburn from Brookings and Thomas from Hitchcock — were inducted in the Jackrabbit Sports Hall of Fame at the Festival of Champions October 2, 1999. Colburn and Thomas wrote an impressive book of statistics in their four-year careers....

Comment

Working...
                                X