Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Campus Construction

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
    Thank you for the info. My initial curiosity stemmed from a concern that we might place a track around the field at a renovated Coughlin-Alumni.
    Won't fit. Plus, I don't think they want to foul up the sight lines. If you've been to Howard Wood, you know that the seats are pretty far from the field.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Been to Howard Wood. Good place for a track meet, not so good for football.
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
        The 2nd phase of the Dykhouse Center will include an full-length, indoor track. This "fieldhouse" type building will also include indoor practice facilities for other outdoor sports at SDSU. Importantly it will include an indoor space for our football team to practice late in the year. If our football program expects to make the playoffs each year they need an adequate place to practice late in the year. Outdoor South Dakota weather does not provide that in November & December. Especially now that the NCAA has moved the FCS (I-AA) national championship game back to January starting next season along with expanding the playoff field to 20 teams (from 16).

I know one facility recently built at Akron is one that has been suggested as a model for what SDSU has in mind. Pics aren't very good here but it is the best I could find:

http://www.gozips.com/SportSelect.db...&ATCLID=319538

Now the question is what is needed more, a new football stadium or this fieldhouse. I know if a public poll was taken it would be heavily in favor of a new football stadium. But think about it...a very strong case could be made for needing the fieldhouse more when you consider the overall impact to SDSU athletics, not just football.
        Looks like an adequate facility to me. The greater-good might be to go with the 2nd phase of the Dykhouse Center. Profit wise, a renovated CAS might be the way to go. My football preferences as a fan is leaning me towards a rebuilt CAS, but obviously the other option isn't going to hurt things either. Maybe we could use future stimulus funds

Comment

Sell indicated they would do these projects concurrently if the funds can be found.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            Won't fit. Plus, I don't think they want to foul up the sight lines. If you've been to Howard Wood, you know that the seats are pretty far from the field.
            The orginal staduim for State plans had called for an indoor track to be included under enclosed west bleachers. I realize this is 50 years back, but that never was realized because the pledge drive stalled at about 60 per cent. Then Stan Marshall building took over some of the unrealized plans from CAS and there again they were not fully realized. I think the current plans should right the ship for the past shortcomings.

Comment

Took some pics of campus construction today.

New dorm complex is moving right along.

Watering the sod at CAS

CAS waiting for another year of Jackrabbit football

See more updated photos of dairy micro, ag hall, the science building, and the student union construction in my photo album...

http://www.sdsufans.com/board/album.php

Comment

This morning my wife and I were driving down the interstate for a family get together and decided to detour to Brookings to take a quick look at the campus (had a brother-in-law riding with us and he had not seen the Dykhouse Cengter at CAS). As we drove by CAS, I noted the sod being watered and commented that they're keeping the stadium ready in case we land a second-round playoff game.

Thanks for the good pics, BKXD.

Comment

Did anyone watch the Stanford/Notre Dame game on Saturday night? What was the deal with the grass at Stanford? That stuff was horrible.

The grass field at Coughlin looks fine. Heck. I bet half the complaints over the surface would go away if they used more paint to stripe the field or re-striped it more often.

Comment

Some unintended campus DE-construction at NDSU:

Minard Hall is the largest classroom building on the main campus. One of the older buildings on campus, it has been added onto three times. The collapsed section is the north wall of the newer of the two major additions(the third was a small annex to connect Minard to the Music Ed building about four years ago - visible in the background). The excavation is for a new major expansion of the building.

This is the rendering of the project. The "camera" is pointed to the southwest.

Comment

Wow.

Well, let the subrogation begin, I guess....

Comment

Forum article:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/264023/

He said he hopes the building will be ready to go for the return of students the first day of class January 11.
                        Uh, show of hands from everyone who wants to attend class in that building?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                          Wow.

Well, let the subrogation begin, I guess....
                          http://www.dl-online.com/event/artic...93/group/News/

Comment

In an odd way, this could actually speed up the time line of the entire project. Originally, the addition was to be built this year, with the rest of old Minard being gutted and remodeled over the next two. If they decide to shut down the entire north wing(I doubt it, but it's possible), then it would make sense to do the remodel of that section at the same time as the addition. Instead of a May 2012 completion date, it could be finished in Sept 2011. Still, I think only about 1/4 of the north wing is destoyed, so the rest will probably remain in service until summer.

Including the constuction slated for the next 2.5 years, NDSU has put around $30 million into Minard since 2002, with $18 million of that in this current project.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                              In an odd way, this could actually speed up the time line of the entire project. Originally, the addition was to be built this year, with the rest of old Minard being gutted and remodeled over the next two. If they decide to shut down the entire north wing(I doubt it, but it's possible), then it would make sense to do the remodel of that section at the same time as the addition. Instead of a May 2012 completion date, it could be finished in Sept 2011. Still, I think only about 1/4 of the north wing is destoyed, so the rest will probably remain in service until summer.

Including the constuction slated for the next 2.5 years, NDSU has put around $30 million into Minard since 2002, with $18 million of that in this current project.
                              It might be optimistic to think that chunk of Minard Hall can be certified for occupancy.

It appears that one of the main entrances is immediately next to the collapsed area. If that particular annex of Minard Hall is to be certified, that entry/exit may have to be certified. That might be a bit of a challenge.

My seat of the pants non-structural engineer suspicion is that they won't attempt to shore up that side of the building, but will demolish all of it. They will cut through the building to separate it into two segments, and demolish the damaged half.

If that's the choice they make, they may not bother trying to reoccupy the other half.

Comment

Is the Daschle Center back on for construction? I was speaking with some current SDSU employees just before Christmas and they told me it will be built at the site of the current defunct outdoor track. Can anyone confirm?
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X