• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU@Cal-Poly

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Here is a link to offical website:

http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&id=29891

They have lost to San Jose State and Ohio State. So the loses are respectable ones to FBC teams. Maybe one could argue that in the past they might have beaten San Jose State but it did not happen last weekend. So I would expect a good game and if we can come away with a win, out confidence will only escalate as we hope and expect.

Actually, they lost to Ohio, not THE Ohio State. Big difference. Ohio State is 12th in latest RealTime RPI, Ohio is 126th. Jacks, meanwhile, are 109th.
    Cal Poly is ranked one spot ahead of Jacks, at 108th. In one of those hnnnnnnhhhh??? moments, UND is ranked 100th. Think that's all about having played Texas Tech despite only having one D-1 win.

Jacks are ranked ahead of Colorado, Virginia, Louisville, Purdue, SMU, Washington state. NDSU is 184th, USD 188th.

Jacks hurt by strength of schedule so far. Indiana State is 242nd, fifth from the bottom; Illinois State 214th, Georgia Southern 171st.

Comment

The thing that gives me some confidence is that our strength on defense seems to be our run D, and Poly seems to NEED their run game to do anything. If we can hold them to twice what our ave per game has been (somewhere around 50 ypg) I think we roll them. If their up in the 150-200 yd range, this game will be almost too interesting.
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

New coaching staff. New quarterback. New go-to receiver. New running backs (except for Jono Grayson, who is good). I know Cal Poly is a solid program, but somebody needs to explain their ranking to me.

I'm not saying this will be easy. I'm just saying they might be a top 35 team. But it would really surprise me if even a great program like Cal Poly could absorb that much change and still be top-16.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          New coaching staff. New quarterback. New go-to receiver. New running backs (except for Jono Grayson, who is good). I know Cal Poly is a solid program, but somebody needs to explain their ranking to me.

I'm not saying this will be easy. I'm just saying they might be a top 35 team. But it would really surprise me if even a great program like Cal Poly could absorb that much change and still be top-16.
          I kind of have that feeling too Jimmy. The only thing that worries me a little bit is how many rushing yards they have been able to put up every game, but they are an option team so it should be expected. And the Sac St game isn't an impressive win, and the close game against SJSU isn't really either because of how bad SJSU has been getting waxxed by their opposition. I would expect the Jacks to be closer in some of SJSU's games then they were. And they got blown out by Ohio University, not quite a powerhouse program if I'm correct in my thinking. NOT saying that Poly is a bad team or smacking on them in any way, just saying that those FBS games could make them look better than they are perhaps. I think it will be a year or so yet before their team settles into their new system and such and becomes their former selves. Still dangerous, but not as much as the original perception would lead us to believe. Just my two cents.
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            New running backs (except for Jono Grayson, who is good). I know Cal Poly is a solid program, but somebody needs to explain their ranking to me.
            Cal Poly did lose James Noble and Ryan Mole, but they do have some experienced running backs returning. Jono Grayson returns along with Jon Hall who is a three year starter at FB. Hall has moved from FB to SB to take make room for Jordan Yocom and to take advantage of his receiving skills (he was a All-State WR in high school). He ran for 354 yards (6.2 yd/carry) in 2008. Hall ran for 58 yards and had 58 receiving with one TD against Sac State this season. He sat out against Ohio and San Jose State with a sprained knee and is expected back this week or next. Jordan Yocom ran for 353 yards (8.0 yd/carry) in 2008. Jordan ran for 130 yards up the middle on Ohio last week and sat out Saturday's game against San Jose State. He will be back in the line up this week.

I would say that Cal Poly is ranked based on finishing in the top 25 each of the last five years. I also think they may be over ranked, but I also think that they are a tough team which will continue to get better as the year goes on as the adjust to a new coaching staff. Cal Poly is always tough at home and I think that they will most definately give the Jacks a game this Saturday. I think this is one of the better games in the FCS this weekend. Can not wait. Any Jack fans on this message board coming to the game?

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
              I kind of have that feeling too Jimmy. The only thing that worries me a little bit is how many rushing yards they have been able to put up every game, but they are an option team so it should be expected. And the Sac St game isn't an impressive win, and the close game against SJSU isn't really either because of how bad SJSU has been getting waxxed by their opposition. I would expect the Jacks to be closer in some of SJSU's games then they were. And they got blown out by Ohio University, not quite a powerhouse program if I'm correct in my thinking. NOT saying that Poly is a bad team or smacking on them in any way, just saying that those FBS games could make them look better than they are perhaps. I think it will be a year or so yet before their team settles into their new system and such and becomes their former selves. Still dangerous, but not as much as the original perception would lead us to believe. Just my two cents.
              San Jose State was in the game against top 10 Utah in the fourth quarter before falling 24-14. They lost big against USC, no shame there, and to Stanford who just blew out the Washington team that beat USC. San Jose State has played a very tough schedule. As for Ohio, they just went to Nashville and gave UT a good game falling 34-23. I think Cal Poly maybe a little better than most Jack fans are giving them credit for. Ellerson is gone, but there is still a lot of talent on Cal Poly's roster.

Comment

Does anyone remember what Cal-Poly was ranked last year when they came in to Coughlin and beat us pretty good? I just looked at the game notes on gojacks.com thinking I would find it, but their ranking wasn't included.

I know it doesn't matter toward this year's game but as I remember they were very highly touted last season, and were probably a top 10 ranked team when they came in here.

I'm looking forward to seeing the result of this game. I'm not into making predictions, but if they pull this one out then lookout FCS playoffs - the Jackrabbits are on the way.
                The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by SloStang View Post
                  ... I think Cal Poly maybe a little better than most Jack fans are giving them credit for. ...
                  Not this Jacks fan. I think it is going to be a very tough game and if we start slow in the first half again, it will be very difficult to overcome. I wish I could make it, but it will be a late night in front of the computer. However, I believe our defense will be the difference and we sneak out a win. Our defense was pretty good last year, but I think they have really improved. One more year experience all around helps, but they have a new attitude also. I can't wait for this game.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

#3-#5 10/27/08 polls

Comment

I think Cal Poly maybe a little better than most Jack fans are giving them credit for.
                      I didn't say that Cal Poly isn't good.

Seriously. When has anybody on this board disrespected Cal Poly? Never. You've been around here for years, SloStang. You know how we feel about Cal Poly around here.

All I said was that it's a lot to ask, even for a great program like Cal Poly, to continue to be a top-15 team when you change coaches, schemes, QB, WRs, running backs, etc. I stand by that statement. It's not a knock on Cal Poly.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                        Does anyone remember what Cal-Poly was ranked last year when they came in to Coughlin and beat us pretty good? I just looked at the game notes on gojacks.com thinking I would find it, but their ranking wasn't included.

I know it doesn't matter toward this year's game but as I remember they were very highly touted last season, and were probably a top 10 ranked team when they came in here.

I'm looking forward to seeing the result of this game. I'm not into making predictions, but if they pull this one out then lookout FCS playoffs - the Jackrabbits are on the way.
                        If we get this Poly win, and don't lose any unexpected games (read NDSU or YSU), 8-3 at worst, losses to FBS MN, UNI & SIU. IMHO, Jacks win AT LEAST ONE of the home games vs UNI or SIU. IF Jacks go through unscathed in MVFC, I think they'll even get seeded (only the top 4 get seeded). Seeding is good. Otherwise, Jacks WILL BE PLAYING IN MISSOULA 1st round.

OK, OK, back to earth, Rabid, 1-0 each week = goal.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                          If we get this Poly win, and don't lose any unexpected games (read NDSU or YSU), 8-3 at worst, losses to FBS MN, UNI & SIU. IMHO, Jacks win AT LEAST ONE of the home games vs UNI or SIU. IF Jacks go through unscathed in MVFC, I think they'll even get seeded (only the top 4 get seeded). Seeding is good. Otherwise, Jacks WILL BE PLAYING IN MISSOULA 1st round.

OK, OK, back to earth, Rabid, 1-0 each week = goal.
                          Hypothetically, the Jacks win out and they have a chance to host a first round game. Could be a cold one at the end of November. Blizzard anyone? Maybe we can play a rematch game against Central Arkansas or SFA, I bet they would love to see some snow!

1-0, 1-0, 1-0........

Comment

Cal Poly did lose James Noble and Ryan Mole, but they do have some experienced running backs returning. Jono Grayson returns along with Jon Hall who is a three year starter at FB. Hall has moved from FB to SB to take make room for Jordan Yocom and to take advantage of his receiving skills (he was a All-State WR in high school). He ran for 354 yards (6.2 yd/carry) in 2008. Hall ran for 58 yards and had 58 receiving with one TD against Sac State this season. He sat out against Ohio and San Jose State with a sprained knee and is expected back this week or next. Jordan Yocom ran for 353 yards (8.0 yd/carry) in 2008. Jordan ran for 130 yards up the middle on Ohio last week and sat out Saturday's game against San Jose State. He will be back in the line up this week.

I would say that Cal Poly is ranked based on finishing in the top 25 each of the last five years. I also think they may be over ranked, but I also think that they are a tough team which will continue to get better as the year goes on as the adjust to a new coaching staff. Cal Poly is always tough at home and I think that they will most definately give the Jacks a game this Saturday. I think this is one of the better games in the FCS this weekend. Can not wait. Any Jack fans on this message board coming to the game?
                            My brother and I are coming to the game, flying into SLO on Friday night. I'll PM you as many people have advised that I do so. Really looking forward to the experience.

I think this a going to be a tough game for the Jacks to win. Long flight to the west coast, 8 pm start time and more importantly a very good Cal-Poly team. They stomped us at home last year largely thanks to Grayson who we couldn't contain on swing outs or when he ran outside the tackles. I know we are a lot better on defense this year but they've go the home field. We'll need our best performance of the year and a couple of mistakes from Cal-Poly or this thing will go down to the wire.

I think the Jacks can win but I'd say this is a pick-em game. I'll take the Jackrabbits in a close one.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Well this has to be a game the Jacks circled before the year.

I unfortunately remember too well getting our @$$ handed to us on our home field last year. It seemed that this was the most outplayed the team got last year, even more than Iowa St., IMO.

Almost 300 yards rushing, 10 sacks and a major setback in playoff hopes.

The d-line and linebackers had better bring their track shoes because Poly has always had a mobile QB and fast, fast backs. Barden usually never killed the Jacks, it's been the offensive backfield.

This game scares the crap out of me and if the defense shows up to play this week for four quarters...I will definately believe.

Like somebody said before, preseason's over folks, October is huge. 5-0 and a top 5 rating is coming to town. 4-1, book your playoff tickets. 3-2, hold your breath. 2-3 or worse, bring on TOB for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                                For perspective, Nidaros, need to point out that they lost to Ohio University, not Ohio State. Considerable difference there I think!
                                Opps I read too fast. Yep big difference Ohio U is coached by Frank Solich the successor coach to Head Coach Tom Osborne at Nebraska and fired by Steve Pederson, who inturn was fired by friends of former US Congressman Tom Osborne. Also a SDSU connection in that Gary Gdowski, former coach is on the staff. I would think a good FCS team would be able to beat a Mid American Conference team such as Ohio.

We might have one of our better opportunities to win since a good Cal Poly team would have handled both Ohio U and San Jose State but judging by the scores they played them close. So despite all changes at Cal SLO, they might still have a very good program.

Comment

Working...
                                X