New dorm construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New dorm construction

The footings are in for the new dorms and the foundation is being completed. Below is a picture taken looking south or slightly southeast. Brown Hall is in the middle background. The plan is to have the dorms ready for occupancy next fall.

Re: New dorm construction

Good lord...moderator, judge advocate for the board, rabid fan, and now roving photographer! Good pix to keep those far away with what is up on the campus. Lots of progress on the $50 million Avera Science building as well. It is too bad that it has to be cramped into the space it is in, as it looks real nice, but not much choice in that area of the campus.

Comment

You know for a land grant school there won't be much land to play on.
      Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
      -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
        You know for a land grant school there won't be much land to play on.
        Most of Rotunda Green is still intact. There is also Sylvan Green, the area just south of Binnewies Hall as well as the Intramural Field.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
          Most of Rotunda Green is still intact. There is also Sylvan Green, the area just south of Binnewies Hall as well as the Intramural Field.
          I was wondering about Rotunda (couldn't determine the exact placement of the new hall).

I just saw they paved over the green and courts at Hansen, that was an interesting choice. I always thought the great thing about the campus was all the open space to play football or have the ladies sun themselves in .
          Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
          -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
            Good lord...moderator, judge advocate for the board, rabid fan, and now roving photographer! Good pix to keep those far away with what is up on the campus. Lots of progress on the $50 million Avera Science building as well. It is too bad that it has to be cramped into the space it is in, as it looks real nice, but not much choice in that area of the campus.
            #1: It's the journalist in me plus the digital SLR's are great fun and easy to use.

One thing I've appreciated about SDSU's campus is the space between buildings. But, it's a sign of a growing and prospering educational facility to lose a little of that space. Our neighbors to the north, NDSU, have buildings much closer than ours. Our neighbors to the south, Nebraska, are almost cramped, in my opinion. But, they're busy places where people are receiving great educations and space is a premium.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              #1: It's the journalist in me plus the digital SLR's are great fun and easy to use.

One thing I've appreciated about SDSU's campus is the space between buildings. But, it's a sign of a growing and prospering educational facility to lose a little of that space. Our neighbors to the north, NDSU, have buildings much closer than ours. Our neighbors to the south, Nebraska, are almost cramped, in my opinion. But, they're busy places where people are receiving great educations and space is a premium.
              Kinda funny you bring up NDSU. NDSU's master plan actually calls for future buildings to be built even closer together and bring the facades closer to the sidewalks/streets to better shield students from winter winds. When the entire west edge of campus is open ag plots, I guess you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Comment

Here's a photo of a billboard on the north side of the project showing a perspective of the new buildings. Note the layouts on the bottom...

Comment

Here are some shots of the construction as of November 6, 2009.

Looking south from a spot west of the union.

Closer view of the precast construction.

View from the south side of the project (taken from 9th Street) with the student union in the background.

Comment

Thanks for the great pics! I had intended to walk by that area of campus yesterday but just didn't get over there. The pre-cast construction sure makes a project jump out of the ground.

Comment

Working...
                    X