Montana State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Montana State

Here's the story and link from ESPN website: http://sports-att.espn.go.com/ncb/re...meId=263562571

BOX SCORE http://sports-att.espn.go.com/ncb/bo...meId=263562571

[hr]
    S. Dakota St. 65, Montana St. 62

BROOKINGS, S.D. (AP) -- South Dakota State came from behind in the second half to beat Montana State 65-62 behind Matt Cadwell's 23 points on Friday.

Cadwell was one of three players in double figures for the Jackrabbits (4-10). Kai Williams added 17 points and seven rebounds and Garrett Callahan chipped in 13 points.

SDSU trailed 36-30 at halftime despite shooting 48 percent in the first half

The Bobcats (3-10) were 3-for-14 from inside the arc, but they went 9-for-13 from 3-point range in the first half to take the lead. But they made just four more 3-pointers in the second half and shot only 37 percent overall.

Branden Johnson had four 3-pointers and 16 points for MSU. Nick Dissly added three 3-pointers and 15 points. He also had seven rebounds.

SDSU went 14-for-27 from the free throw line, while the Bobcats made five of eight attempts.

MSU had 19 turnovers.

Last 5 Games

MONTANA STATE
    12/18 U. of Great W 97-52
    12/16 Utah Valley St L 60-53
    12/09 Fresno State L 82-77
    12/06 @Boise State L 94-69
    12/02 Wyoming L 73-62

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
    12/19 @UMKC W 79-71
    12/16 @W. Bay L 80-48
    12/10 @Montana L 87-47
    12/07 @Minnesota L 77-53
    12/03 @Denver W 67-56

[hr]

MONTANA STATE
    TEAM REBS: 34
    TURNOVERS: 18 (T Morris 2, N Dissly 5, C Durr 3, C Durham 2, M Davis 2, D Piepoli 1, C Taylor 3)
    BLOCKED SHOTS: 1 (T Morris 1)
    STEALS: 5 (C Durham 1, B Johnson 1, M Davis 2, C Taylor 1)
    3-PT FGS: 13-28, .464 (N Dissly 3-7, C Durr 2-2, C Durham 1-5, B Johnson 4-6, M Davis 1-2, D Piepoli 1-3, C Taylor 1-3)

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
    TEAM REBS: 33
    TURNOVERS: 10 (M Cadwell 1, J Frias 1, B Yackley 1, G Callahan 4, K Williams 1, T Bassett 2)
    BLOCKED SHOTS: 1 (K Williams 1)
    STEALS: 11 (M Cadwell 2, J Frias 2, B Yackley 3, G Callahan 1, T Bassett 3)
    3-PT FGS: 3-12, .25 (M Cadwell 0-3, M Casey 0-1, B Yackley 0-3, G Callahan 2-2, K Williams 1-3)

Comment

What a game. With 30 minutes to go before the start of the game I didn't think we had a chance to break 1,000 people. To everyone who showed up and cheered loud the last minutes of the game thank you. These kids have gone through so many bad times, you can tell they enjoyed this. This team is not dead. The way everyone stepped up tonight says a lot about the players that have quit on the team and left this year. This team has warriors who played 39 minutes, 37 minutes, 31 minutes who are only freshmen and sophmore contributing big time. Cadwell showed up and put in 23 and did some quiet things. Garrett loves a tough coach played 37 minutes scored 13, 4 rebounds 3 assists showing us what a gem we got in him. Kai although only played 24 minutes in foul trouble picked up 17 points, 7 rebounds. Jose who had 6 big rebounds and only 5 points played aggressive and got to the line a lot. 10 turnovers, I don't remember a recent game where we controlled the ball that well. 11 steals we played good defense. 34 rebounds to their 35 not good but not bad. Bassett pulled down 8 big boards and is the player of the game. A good 2 game win streak is the best present Nagy has had since going D-1 for christmas break. The guys deserve this rest and hopefully will come back fired up. And best of all Loney could be back in 3 weeks. I like what I've seen, we've struggled yes, but 4 wins before Christmas is maybe a little below what I thought we had, but fellas we're coming back. And if the crowds get into like they were at the end tonight we'll have the perfect set up for a successful second half of the season at home.

Comment

Another gutsy win. We have three gems in Callahan, Cadwell and Williams. These are some tough kids. What a great foundation to build on to get prepared for March 2009. We need to remain positive through the ups and downs. The last two games prove on thing if nothing else: these guys are learning how to win. Each of the last two games could have losses, but these guys stepped up when they needed. Callahan hit some big shots in the second half and Caddy came through on the line at the end.
        Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Here's the link to Terry's story in the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...30/1002/SPORTS

I think the last part sums it up pretty well when you consider how the season started:

Nagy called the defensive effort SDSU's best of the season, and Montana State coach Brad Huse agreed, pointing to how the Jacks' scheme forced his club to live and die from beyond the arc.

"And on the same token, I just thought they outscrapped us," Huse said. "There were times when the ball could have gone one way or another and they got it."

And in the bigger picture, the Jacks are beginning to get it.

Comment

I listened to the 2nd half as my family opened some gifts. The Jacks are now 1-0 when I'm sitting in my SDSU tailgating lawn chair. I hope the Old Mill light in the beverage holder also had something to do with it. I guess I know where I need to be sitting for games now.

Williams is really beginning to blossom. Callahan will keep improving. Bassett just needs to work harder to improve his shot. If these guys play hard for 40 minutes every game we certainly have a lost better shot at winning than we did just 1 month ago. Gotta make FT's though.

Great win, 4-4 in our last 8.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Didn't Craig Kilborn (a.k.a. "Craiggers" or "Kilby&quot play college ball at Montana State?
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                I listened to the 2nd half as my family opened some gifts.  The Jacks are now 1-0 when I'm sitting in my SDSU tailgating lawn chair.  I hope the Old Mill light in the beverage holder also had something to do with it.   I guess I know where I need to be sitting for games now.

Williams is really beginning to blossom.  Callahan will keep improving.  Bassett just needs to work harder to improve his shot.  If these guys play hard for 40 minutes every game we certainly have a lost better shot at winning than we did just 1 month ago.  Gotta make FT's though.

Great win, 4-4 in our last 8.
                If the Old Mill had something to do with it, I hope you develop a drinking problem. Go State. Merry Xmas.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
                  Didn't Craig Kilborn (a.k.a. "Craiggers" or "Kilby&quot play college ball at Montana State?
                  You are correct. He's a Hastings, Minn., high school graduate, and he played college ball for MSU.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Very nice win, and it came at a good time. I made it to the game Friday night, and have a few random observations:
                    Jose certainly got angry when he was pulled late in the game, apparently because he wasn't making free throws. Don't know if he was mad at himself or the coach, but it took him a while to cool down. He's a tough, scrappy guy who often has to battle with guys 3 or 4 inches taller. He's the kind of guy you'd want on your side in a hostile situation. Caldwell, too. Caldwell is ultra competitive.
                    Caldwell made one of the best circus shots I've seen at Frost. As the shot clock was about to expire and with a defender hanging on him, he drove and flipped up a desperation left-handed mini hook from the left lane. It sailed high above the rim and then right through it. Swish.
                    Williams is looking better and better all the time. Bassett, too.
                    The Jacks really need Loney and Kleinjan back for depth. Williams played in foul trouble all night, and Bassett looked really tired a couple of times, largely because he was inside banging around with guys several inches taller and heavier.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

JackJD (and others), thanks for the game updates. It's nice to be able to read through the flow of the game since I was unable to listen.

JackMD, Jacks are 1-0 when I'm in Denver for a Broncos game. Maybe there's a trend there as well. Now, I just need to get my hands on some season tickets....

Comment

1-0, might be more of a coincedence... 2-0 would might show signs of a trend. Go to more Bronco games! That Denver vs. Cinnci game was a pretty good game to watch, it is nice seeing teams other than the Vikings doing stupid stuff and losing games. ;D ;D

Comment

Working...
                        X