Recognizing Dr. Fred Oien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recognizing Dr. Fred Oien

I thought it was pretty classy for the University to recognize Dr. Oien at the end of the 1st quarter at the game Saturday.

I have been gone from State for many years and had no idea of all the accomplishments by our athletes and Athletic Dept under his watch! I did know about his involvement with others in leading us to Division I.

I picked up an Argus before I left the hotel on Sunday morning because I wanted to clip the article about the recognition ceremony and his many accomplishments so I could reread it and save it in my "Jackrabbit" file.

I didn't find the article but I'm sure it was there somewhere!

Anyway, from an old alum, a belated thank you Dr. Oien for a great run!

Re: Recognizing Dr. Fred Oien

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    I thought it was pretty classy for the University to recognize Dr. Oien at the end of the 1st quarter at the game Saturday.

I have been gone from State for many years and had no idea of all the accomplishments by our athletes and Athletic Dept under his watch! I did know about his involvement with others in leading us to Division I.

I picked up an Argus before I left the hotel on Sunday morning because I wanted to clip the article about the recognition ceremony and his many accomplishments so I could reread it and save it in my "Jackrabbit" file.

I didn't find the article but I'm sure it was there somewhere!

Anyway, from an old alum, a belated thank you Dr. Oien for a great run!
    The kind of student athletes we have and the first class operation of the program is a gift from Fred Oien and we should all be proud of them and him! I looked in the Argus also...Stu must have tucked that story into his backpack...filed somewhere between the numerous columns he wrote about Nagy should be fired, the story in regards to the Dykhouse Center slow progress being a result of a shortage of money (when it was in the bank for a year and a half before work started...but then I'm not surprised he didn't know what he was talking about), etc. Here's a text description of the Argus Leader sports editor (equine version): WAHA!

Comment

Re: Recognizing Dr. Fred Oien

The recognition was a class act, and I don't know who thought of it first President Chicoine or AD Sells, either way I think it was an act of healing and a sign to move on to the challenges of the future. The Argus made way too much of his personal problems and seem to ignore his accompolishments. Thats why there was no article Roy, but I got your intended humor though.

I personally felt that DR Oien did one excellent job, and if I had 5 dollars for every question I asked him during his tenure at SDSU going back to 1986, we could rebuild CAS. May be thats a stretch but I asked a bunch of questions and always got an answer. Sometimes not the answer you wanted to hear, but an answer.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 09-15-2009, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X