First Game Reflections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Game Reflections

I was most impressed with the little things that looked good on Saturday. Great line play on both sides of the ball especially. It was expected from the D-line, but the O-line was a big question coming in (sort of overshadowed with all the QB talk). The O-line got better as the game wore on. They just beat down GSU.

Also impressed with our special teams in all aspects. The kicking game is an easy one as Harris was an unknown who did a great job. On top of that, the punt return team looked great as did our coverage units. Special teams is an indication of good coaching. Shows an attention to details and a demand for hustle by all of your players. It was good to see.

Finally, the passing game which was such a question mark looked pretty darned good. Even more so when you consider the WR and QB they were replacing.

Man, it was fun to watch the game on Saturday. My wife and I picked up some Buffalo Wild Wings and beer and had a good time watching the game. I am going to be watching in-person for the first game since UNI last year and am looking forward to yelling myself hoarse. I'm also looking forward to putting my season tickets to use. I apologize to those sitting behind me as I will probably tend to stand up a bunch when a big play is about to happen. Section E, Row 15 lookout.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
      Section E, Row 15 lookout.
      You're right next to the Pride. I think you'll enjoy watching how Dr. Peterson is into the game from start to finish. I know I like to see that and appreciate his enthusiasm.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Kolpack tweets on the MVFC:

"After two weeks, Missouri Valley is the Big Three -- UNI, SDSU, SIU -- and everybody else."

Comment

I am going to be watching in-person for the first game since UNI last year and am looking forward to yelling myself hoarse. I'm also looking forward to putting my season tickets to use. I apologize to those sitting behind me as I will probably tend to stand up a bunch when a big play is about to happen. Section E, Row 15 lookout.
          You have good company in section E. My voice is just about repaired from Saturday.

Good to see you're coming back!

Comment

I apologize to those sitting behind me as I will probably tend to stand up a bunch when a big play is about to happen. Section E, Row 15 lookout.
            I'm up in row 25, so stand all you'd like, it might get more of the section to stand for big plays.

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
            My voice is just about repaired from Saturday.
            Same here!
            Go State! Go State!

Comment

Row 11...don't spill your Coke, Milwaukee!

Comment

First game was great. Crawford played a great game. It showed me that we don't need to throw deep all the time to score big points. With the defense that is on the field for the Jackrabbits the team will get lots of opportunities. I, for one, am a huge fan of moving the chains as much as we can on a drive. There is nothing more deflating for a team than watching the opposition drive down the field.

It is too bad that so many fans left early. They missed a great play in the end zone with the O'Brien pass. I guess that is the only thing that I would change about the first week. I loved seeing that many folks at the game, I just would have loved to see them all there at the end cheering on the team as the clock ran out.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  First game was great. Crawford played a great game. It showed me that we don't need to throw deep all the time to score big points. With the defense that is on the field for the Jackrabbits the team will get lots of opportunities. I, for one, am a huge fan of moving the chains as much as we can on a drive. There is nothing more deflating for a team than watching the opposition drive down the field.

It is too bad that so many fans left early. They missed a great play in the end zone with the O'Brien pass. I guess that is the only thing that I would change about the first week. I loved seeing that many folks at the game, I just would have loved to see them all there at the end cheering on the team as the clock ran out.
                  With a 7, 5 and 3 year old who have been at the complex since 1 pm it hard at 9 pm to keep them focused. We started walking out with about 3 minutes left, its a long trek from my preferred site on the east sideline to the tailgate lot with the new construction. That said, it is a little discouraging to see the stands empty out. However, as long as that means we are in control of the outcome of the game, I can live with it.

I don't think we could have scripted a better start to the season. That was a nearly perfect performance by the Jacks.

As for the UPD, I've tailgated at the U of Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, the Vikings, and the Royals games and never once have I seen as much police presence as there was on Saturday. Heck, we tailgated at Howard Wood for the UC-Davis game a few years ago and had a full bar set up in the back of a blazer and didn't see one officer of the law nor were there any problems. I suspect its residual for the riot so many years ago (1990). My guess is that someone has made it clear that any slip up and tailgating is out. Anyways, I had a great time and look forward to this weekend.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    With a 7, 5 and 3 year old who have been at the complex since 1 pm it hard at 9 pm to keep them focused. We started walking out with about 3 minutes left, its a long trek from my preferred site on the east sideline to the tailgate lot with the new construction. That said, it is a little discouraging to see the stands empty out. However, as long as that means we are in control of the outcome of the game, I can live with it.

I don't think we could have scripted a better start to the season. That was a nearly perfect performance by the Jacks.

As for the UPD, I've tailgated at the U of Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, the Vikings, and the Royals games and never once have I seen as much police presence as there was on Saturday. Heck, we tailgated at Howard Wood for the UC-Davis game a few years ago and had a full bar set up in the back of a blazer and didn't see one officer of the law nor were there any problems. I suspect its residual for the riot so many years ago (1990). My guess is that someone has made it clear that any slip up and tailgating is out. Anyways, I had a great time and look forward to this weekend.

I understand the leaving with the kids, but there were many fans that left towards the end of the 3rd Quarter! I like the idea of moving the band to the area under the scoreboard, but not if the season ticket holders are going to bail when the team is way up or down. Heck, some of the most fun I have had in the stands has been during a blowout. Nothing like partying while watching the team dismantle someone.

I remember when tailgating first started and it wasn't the production that it is now, there wasn't the showing of force that there is now. I think flexing of muscle comes from about because there are some that still think we cannot handle ourselves. There are only maybe two games where an increased police force may be warranted (NDSU, and USD if it ever happens.)

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                      I remember when tailgating first started and it wasn't the production that it is now, there wasn't the showing of force that there is now.
                      And there were problems when tailgating first started. Furniture fires come to mind as one example.

Obviously an officer tearing out of an area filled with people is pretty questionable, but like somebody else said, you will be glad the UPD is there in such force someday. It could be the day your dad has a heart attack while tailgating, the day a fight breaks out in the lot next to yours, the day an 18 year old is throwing up in front of your kids, the day a drunk fan tears out of the tailgate area, etc.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        And there were problems when tailgating first started. Furniture fires come to mind as one example.

Obviously an officer tearing out of an area filled with people is pretty questionable, but like somebody else said, you will be glad the UPD is there in such force someday. It could be the day your dad has a heart attack while tailgating, the day a fight breaks out in the lot next to yours, the day an 18 year old is throwing up in front of your kids, the day a drunk fan tears out of the tailgate area, etc.

Even with the increased police there was a car fire a couple years ago and there was a garbage can that caught fire this year. Thing happen when you mix grilling and drinking. Sounds like we should have firefighters walking around out there than the cops!
                        Last edited by SoDakJack; 09-16-2009, 08:29 AM. Reason: Forgot a Smile

Comment

I tailgated for four hours on Saturday at my spot, and I think I only saw two UPD officers the whole day and they were both on foot. I guess I was more concerned about enjoying the experience and visiting with the people in my spot and those around us rather than noting when UPD drove/walked by.

I think everybody needs to quit worrying about it...UPD will be there to respond in case something stupid happens, and if nothing does then they will just be there. If you are not interacting with them, I wonder how they actually effect your experience in a negative way? I guess I don't get that part...

Didn't the UPD/tailgate thread get locked down on here already...I would prefer to leave this thread to talk about the actual game or team.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I know that a lot of people want to move the band to the end zone area. Please remember that the band puts in more work than any other fans in the stadium. They are students and they deserve the best seats in the student sections.
                            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post

Didn't the UPD/tailgate thread get locked down on here already...I would prefer to leave this thread to talk about the actual game or team.
                              First game reflections, I consider the WHOLE experience. That said, I'm okay with the way SDSU has chosen to handle it, its just a lot different than all the other experiences I've had and I think that is somewhat curious.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                                I know that a lot of people want to move the band to the end zone area. Please remember that the band puts in more work than any other fans in the stadium. They are students and they deserve the best seats in the student sections.
                                I have confidence that the athletic department and Dr. Peterson will work something out that makes sense for everyone involved.

I'm sure glad the Pride is there to add so much atmosphere to the event. Augie, with their new stadium, has no marching band. Imagine that. The band really makes for a big-time feel to the event.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X