Donors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Donors

Went back to the file. My letter was dated 6/26/2009 and it was the cover letter for my annual endowment reports.

Due to entitlements and a defined benefit pension I was able to write a check this time.

I love that place (SDSU)!

Comment

How aggressively does the university market to ex-athletes? How about ex-athletes in the pros, i.e. Adam Vinatieri, who is kicking and pitching products at what appears to be a recession-proof pace?
      I'm with Filbert on the 60,000-donor base. ... 865 is about 1.2 percent of the alumni base. Wonder what percent the 800-plus are not Jackrabbit grads, too?

Comment

I think if ground roots organizations similiar to what was started in Yankton can spring up all over the state and region than it will have a very positive impact for SDSU on many levels.
        Last edited by JACKGUYII; 08-24-2009, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Here are a couple of quick facts to add this discussion.

Currently SDSU has 65,146 living Alumni. They live in all 50 states plus 52 foreign countries.

Each year the Alumni Association tracks Alumni giving back to the University and compares that percentage against the 12 peer institutions identified in the University's Strategic Planning process/document.

The most current data released by CAE (Council for Aid to Education) is FY 2008. A quick comparison from FY 2007 to FY 2008 is very favorable for SDSU.

FY 2007 Top 5

1. Kansas State University 19.0%
          2. South Dakota State University 16.3%
          3. University of Montana 13.3%
          4. Utah State University 9.5%
          5. University of Wyoming 9.4%

FY 2008

1. South Dakota State University 19.9% / +3.6%
          2. Kansas State University 18.0% / - 1.0%
          3. University of Idaho 10.4 (Idaho did not report to CAE in '07)
          4. University of Wyoming 9.2% / - 0.2%
          5. University of Montana 9.2% / - 4.1%

Not only did SDSU take over the top spot but it was the only peer institution that saw growth in the percentage of Alumni who give back financially between FY '07 and FY '08 (The national trend of alumni giving as a percentage of the alumni population is downward when viewed as a whole).

This of course is a representation of all alumni giving and not just to athletics, but I believe the stats demonstrates a level of connection that our alumni have to their alma mater that many of our peers would be excited to achieve.

Go State!

P.S. filbert is correct, please come to the Huron event tomorrow if you are in the area even if you didn't RSVP by the deadline. Some event do have a limit as to how many attend, but this isn't one of them.

Comment

Great stuff 89rabbit. Proves that SDSU alumni care. And proves that folks in the athletic department and foundation are doing their jobs better than most institutions. I guess I get kind of tired about hearing that we don't market well and we don't fund raise very well. Can we do better? Sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
              Great stuff 89rabbit. Proves that SDSU alumni care. And proves that folks in the athletic department and foundation are doing their jobs better than most institutions. I guess I get kind of tired about hearing that we don't market well and we don't fund raise very well. Can we do better? Sure.

Don't forget the Alumni Association; someone has to "friend raise".

Go State!

Comment

SDSU alumni do a great job of supporting the institution. Where we can do better is with respect to money directly for the Athletic Department. The Jackrabbit club needs to grow in size and needs to do so substantially. So, tell your friends, family to call and set up a debit from their checking or savings account to the Jackrabbit club. $10/month is all you need and it comes with benefits.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  SDSU alumni do a great job of supporting the institution. Where we can do better is with respect to money directly for the Athletic Department. The Jackrabbit club needs to grow in size and needs to do so substantially. So, tell your friends, family to call and set up a debit from their checking or savings account to the Jackrabbit club. $10/month is all you need and it comes with benefits.
                  Agreed.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    Seems a little grumpy this morning Nidaros. The letters went out quite awhile ago...don't know why you didn't get one. It was a courteous letter, stated the facts...value of our endowment had dropped (as had my own retirement account), thus lower income to the Foundation, and lower payout to the endowed accounts. The letter pointed out that it would be helpful if we could make a one-time payment of the difference in the payout, since the scholarship is in effect guaranteed by the department, and the loss of endowed money cuts into their operating budget.

I see no reason to get upset with an explanation of the facts...they are understandable. Whether one wants to respond to the request is a personal decision, and in many cases, may not be feasible for donors at this time, so no response is necessary.

And I certainly don't fault the foundation investment committee for the loss of value...they have been conservative but need to be and have performed very well over the years. It doesn't matter that the loss is on paper...it is a loss of income this year and a definite problem for the department. Help if you can, disregard if you can't.
                    I suspect I am over reacting here. In the past I have given what I can and sometimes it was more than I could afford. I confess it was a bit of an ego trip. I will spare the details. I probably did receive the letter and did not respond. This article was a little comprehensive. It starts about talking what the AD has in mind and ends up talking foundation assets and what the Foundation CEO is going to do. I think Terry could have split this one article in two separate articles, but I am not a journalist and have no idea what his assignment was in terms of this article.

I realize there is going to be less income this year and I dont fault the investment committee, it seems that everyone has been hit hard since August 2007 when the subprime mortgage financing came unwoven. I assumed that Enpenbach was suggesting a 31% per cent contribution by each endowment donor. Apparently that is not the case, so will let it go.

I don't like to see student athletes suffer either, but I think this is a lesson in life for them as well. The recipient of my endowment was seen working at Lowes this summer. There seems to be plenty of jobs for everyone who needs one. I think every thing will work out.

My outrage about one comment made by CEO of the Foundation should not stop anyone else from giving to the Jackrabbit Club or any other noble purposes at SDSU. Carry one.
                    Give if you can.

Comment

I for one can only hope that someday I can match the contributions of Nidaros and Jacks#1Fan among others on this board. Tough economic times are hard on everyone and I can't fault the Foundation for asking those that can give a little more to give a little more.

Keep up the great work those that are still supporting all programs on campus. Someday we'll get out of this "downturn" in the economy and will all be able to give just a little bit more.
                      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        I wander over to the Alumni Association site and see that there's a Huron Meet & Greet with new AD Justin Sell on Tuesday in Huron (at the Scoreboard Bar & Grill) from 5:30-7:30. I hope that got proper distribution in the local press (such as it is. . .)

Call all your Huron-area friends and tell them to show up (even though the page says RSVP by last Friday).
                        Radio stations did great thanks to an Alum working there. Paper, notta...hard to believe since the Register and Plainsman are owned by the same group.

We are trying to get things going again here after the former organizer for this area moved away. With the help of 89rabbit and his crew hopefully we can get it started back up again. 72 miles to Brookings, you think it would be easy?

Comment

Working...
                        X