Donors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donors

Was shocked that the new AD announced there were only 865 donors to the Jackrabbit Club as of now. He wants to more than double that number. Good for him but it is alarming there are only 865 donors. Not sure how you can plan to do a lot of enhancements when the donor base is so small.

Re: Donors

Simple truth... it's the economy. Donations to College/University athletic programs are down across the board.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...NTPAGECAROUSEL

An article from todays Argus written on the subject.
      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
        Simple truth... it's the economy. Donations to College/University athletic programs are down across the board.
        I disagree (not vehemently as the economy is part of it but the problem is larger than that). If it were just the economy you would be more likely to see membership down a bit but donations backed off. This is not merely a $ issue but more of a member issue.

This is the underlying issue facing SDSU, the fan base is generally a johnny come lately fan base. Many people make their event or two a year and figure that buying a ticket and some popcorn is doing their part. Its going to take a major paradigm shift on the part of the athletic dept to get people into a give first attitude. We are on our way but have a long way to go.

I also believe if you talked one on one with Stig this same issue is one of the main reasons that he isn't as excited about renewing the rivalry with USD. It just gives people a target that takes away from other games.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
          I disagree (not vehemently as the economy is part of it but the problem is larger than that). If it were just the economy you would be more likely to see membership down a bit but donations backed off. This is not merely a $ issue but more of a member issue.

This is the underlying issue facing SDSU, the fan base is generally a johnny come lately fan base. Many people make their event or two a year and figure that buying a ticket and some popcorn is doing their part. Its going to take a major paradigm shift on the part of the athletic dept to get people into a give first attitude. We are on our way but have a long way to go.

I also believe if you talked one on one with Stig this same issue is one of the main reasons that he isn't as excited about renewing the rivalry with USD. It just gives people a target that takes away from other games.
          I couldn't agree with this post more. I think the biggest issue with the greater part of the SDSU fan base is we don't pre-pay our spectator participation and that is join the fan clubs, purchase season tickets and donate money. This money allows the athletic department to fund the programs before and after the games are played. Do fans shows up on game day and buy their individual tickets for the big game absolutely and this helps, but not to the degree that paying for all games in advance. Now, I no this is not possible for everyone, but I think it's possible for more people to do it and in IMHO is a big difference between SDSU and NDSU.

Comment

I have two thoughts:

1) This shows just how inadequate the fundraising and marketing for the athletic programs have been up until now. Part of that is I'm sure a reflection of the difference between Division II and Division I. The D-II mode of marketing needs to be drastically upgraded to compete in D-I. I guess I haven't seen that happen nearly as quickly or as comprehensively as I think should have happened.

2) SDSU's got what--60,000 living alumni? Not counting friends/fans who aren't alumni. The potential market for expanding donations is ENORMOUS, even in a difficult economy. Go after the people who could give $50-a-year or the $10/month. Put games on TV, expand the radio network, get SDSU stories into the state's newspapers. I know the Huron paper almost never has any coverage of SDSU--and that's only 90 miles away! Market especially hard to Sioux Falls, Watertown, Huron--the latter two should, by geography alone, be hard-core SDSU towns.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

We were over 1,000 six years ago when the DI move was just beginning. I place no fault on the transition for the drop off, nor the economy. The JRC was a focus during my three years in the athletic department. Can't say I know what the focus has been over the past six years in terms of the smaller donors. Is the volunteer JRC base still active. I know the former Annual Giving Officer (Mrs. VJ) worked long and hard to cultivate the volunteers who helped bring in those $50 and $10/month donors.
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Sitting on my desk right now are appeals from Habitat for Humanity, Susan G. Komen for the Cure (cancer benefit), Munsterman for Governor, Special Olympics, McCrory Gardens, a special appeal from the SDSU Foundation, and the Boys and Girls Club. Next week more requests will come ... most for good causes. And we receive phone calls daily from charities we've supported in the past and they all want more money.

Well, you can only do so much. Jackrabbit athletics is important to the image of the university and a passion for many members of the board. But the reality is the vast majority of South Dakotans don't care about SDSU athletic contests (even most of our alumni) until a big game comes along. After the big game is done, they go back to their own lives ... families, communities, work ... and life goes on.

Comment

Here is a story from just Terry on the subject

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2.../1003/business

Comment

More fund raising news

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...=15&calcid=948

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      I have two thoughts:

1) This shows just how inadequate the fundraising and marketing for the athletic programs have been up until now. Part of that is I'm sure a reflection of the difference between Division II and Division I. The D-II mode of marketing needs to be drastically upgraded to compete in D-I. I guess I haven't seen that happen nearly as quickly or as comprehensively as I think should have happened.

2) SDSU's got what--60,000 living alumni? Not counting friends/fans who aren't alumni. The potential market for expanding donations is ENORMOUS, even in a difficult economy. Go after the people who could give $50-a-year or the $10/month. Put games on TV, expand the radio network, get SDSU stories into the state's newspapers. I know the Huron paper almost never has any coverage of SDSU--and that's only 90 miles away! Market especially hard to Sioux Falls, Watertown, Huron--the latter two should, by geography alone, be hard-core SDSU towns.
                      I wander over to the Alumni Association site and see that there's a Huron Meet & Greet with new AD Justin Sell on Tuesday in Huron (at the Scoreboard Bar & Grill) from 5:30-7:30. I hope that got proper distribution in the local press (such as it is. . .)

Call all your Huron-area friends and tell them to show up (even though the page says RSVP by last Friday).
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                        Here is a story from just Terry on the subject

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2.../1003/business
                        The article is entitled. SDSU undaunted by endowment Drop. Yet further in the article we find:
                        To make up for losses in that area, donors who sponsor endowments have been asked to make one-time gifts to make up the difference. The response has been largely positive, according to Erpenbach. End of quote.

This really upsets me, because I do have an endowment for athletics. I have not been able to check my snail mail for about a week, but if I get a telephone call or any other call from the foundation, they are not going to get a largely positive response. Quite the opposite.

I have a IRA that is also 31 per cent down. Its mostly a paper loss because I am comparing current market value of each mutural fund with an historical value that is a summation of original investment plus subsequent reinvestments of earnings. My understanding is that the Foundation invested endowment money in relatively safe instruments and like everyone else's assets there is a difference between historical values and current market value which is considered a paper loss, and granted the earnings with a lower market value are going to yield less earnings. This is one time I just do not feel generous and not obligated to make up paper losses by investment judgement that was not my doing. Good luck Mr. Erpenbach.

The stock market has recovered and continues to recover, why push the panic button.

Comment

Seems a little grumpy this morning Nidaros. The letters went out quite awhile ago...don't know why you didn't get one. It was a courteous letter, stated the facts...value of our endowment had dropped (as had my own retirement account), thus lower income to the Foundation, and lower payout to the endowed accounts. The letter pointed out that it would be helpful if we could make a one-time payment of the difference in the payout, since the scholarship is in effect guaranteed by the department, and the loss of endowed money cuts into their operating budget.

I see no reason to get upset with an explanation of the facts...they are understandable. Whether one wants to respond to the request is a personal decision, and in many cases, may not be feasible for donors at this time, so no response is necessary.

And I certainly don't fault the foundation investment committee for the loss of value...they have been conservative but need to be and have performed very well over the years. It doesn't matter that the loss is on paper...it is a loss of income this year and a definite problem for the department. Help if you can, disregard if you can't.

Comment

I guess Nidaros is looking at a different set of stocks than I am. The middle of 2007 the DJIA was 14,500 now about 9,500.

Comment

Jacks#1Fan ... I disagree with you. I too have endowments with SDSU. The agreements I signed said that only interest earnings would be used. In other words, no principal. When I received the updates from the Foundation I noticed that not only did the value of the accounts decrease (the 31% stated), but they dug deeper into the endowments and did use principal. That is not right ... at least not without asking for permission first. So I think we have a right to be a little grumpy about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X