Push in Sioux Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Push in Sioux Falls

I think a wild-hare idea would be the SF metro Jacks fans should get together and rent buses for game days to make it easier for SF area fans to get to the games (or, work through the Alumni Assn to fund and then fill them--almost the same thing).

Start with football and the basketball doubleheaders, and then expand it from there, if there's a market.

How much does it cost to rent a bus for six-eight hours and ~100 miles? I have no idea, but somebody could make a call or two and find out in a hurry, I'd think.

If I lived in Sioux Falls and had the option of a park-and-ride bus rather than driving back and forth, I'd be strongly tempted to take the bus--especially when the winter weather starts coming in.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      I think a wild-hare idea would be the SF metro Jacks fans should get together and rent buses for game days to make it easier for SF area fans to get to the games (or, work through the Alumni Assn to fund and then fill them--almost the same thing).

Start with football and the basketball doubleheaders, and then expand it from there, if there's a market.

How much does it cost to rent a bus for six-eight hours and ~100 miles? I have no idea, but somebody could make a call or two and find out in a hurry, I'd think.

If I lived in Sioux Falls and had the option of a park-and-ride bus rather than driving back and forth, I'd be strongly tempted to take the bus--especially when the winter weather starts coming in.
      I would patronize a shuttle bus from Arlington to the Jacks games and events. Would not have a problem if the bus stopped in Dog Patch(Volga) for alums and fans

It seems years ago, maybe early 1980's they did try some kind of busing in to bb games from Watertown, Mitchell and places and at the time it did not catch on as I recall. Right now though I think the SF busing Idea has potential. It might also attract new people and even seniors with money might want to take ride to Brookings.

Comment

The Sioux Empire Staters (Sioux Falls Chapter of the Alumni Association) have tried buses to Brookings a couple of times ('07 and again in '08) and participation has been low and not covered the cost. They are putting a bus trip together for this year's Minnesota football game. Details should be available soon.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          I would patronize a shuttle bus from Arlington to the Jacks games and events. Would not have a problem if the bus stopped in Dog Patch(Volga) for alums and fans

It seems years ago, maybe early 1980's they did try some kind of busing in to bb games from Watertown, Mitchell and places and at the time it did not catch on as I recall. Right now though I think the SF busing Idea has potential. It might also attract new people and even seniors with money might want to take ride to Brookings.
          Heck, work out a deal with Scheels to use their parking lot/ promote SDSU apparel, and back the Jacks. Load up at the O'Gorman lot (Western & 41st area?), another at Arena, make deal with the concession folks (free drink/any food item), get them in, entertain them with GREAT FOOTBALL/Basketball, and get this rolling. (Don't be afraid to work a Sioux Empire Volleyball nite promotion either) Free admission for any VB uniformed watchers? A Soccer match in SF may be good, or promote watching at Sexauer Park.

Comment

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=204775023

Jackrabbit Caravan hits Sioux Falls Aug. 27-28

South Dakota State University student-athletes and coaches will wrap up their summer caravan across the state with two days of events in Sioux Falls Aug. 27-28.

Activities kick off with the Sioux Empire Staters 15th Annual Jackrabbit Shootout golf scramble Aug. 27 at Spring Creek Country Club near Harrisburg. The event, which will feature a majority of the Jackrabbit coaching staff, begins with a shotgun start at noon. To register or receive more information, contact Doug Goodale at (605) 731-5040.

On Friday, Aug. 28, Jackrabbit student-athletes will participate in a number of community service activities throughout Sioux Falls, and will gather for an autograph session at Howard Wood Field from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Inflatable games will be open for children in the stadium parking lot starting at 4 p.m. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
              The Sioux Empire Staters (Sioux Falls Chapter of the Alumni Association) have tried buses to Brookings a couple of times ('07 and again in '08) and participation has been low and not covered the cost. They are putting a bus trip together for this year's Minnesota football game. Details should be available soon.

Go State!
              "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"
                I know you are joking filbert, but I believe the Alumni Association is on a very tight budget and they have no funds for research of new services such as the bus from SF. If something does not catch on the intial go around, they have no choice but to try something else such as no bus service. Now I am joking, but its pretty much the situation. I think the Alumni Association has done a very good job with events given what they have to work with in terms of staff and budget.

I dont know how much publicty was put on those two bus trips, but maybe not enough and with a limited budget, you can do so much with word of mouth and telephone calls. I suppose too, those die hards Empire Staters probably look forward to driving to Brookings so you are almost depended on trying to attract new people and new alums which is what it is all about. 89 needs some $$$ help here.

Comment

I know you are joking filbert, but I believe the Alumni Association is on a very tight budget and they have no funds for research of new services such as the bus from SF. If something does not catch on the intial go around, they have no choice but to try something else such as no bus service. Now I am joking, but its pretty much the situation. I think the Alumni Association has done a very good job with events given what they have to work with in terms of staff and budget.

I dont know how much publicty was put on those two bus trips, but maybe not enough and with a limited budget, you can do so much with word of mouth and telephone calls. I suppose too, those die hards Empire Staters probably look forward to driving to Brookings so you are almost depended on trying to attract new people and new alums which is what it is all about. 89 needs some $$$ help here.
                  I didn't say the Alumni Association should foot the bill. I did however say it was a wild-hare idea.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I didn't say the Alumni Association should foot the bill. I did however say it was a wild-hare idea.
                    No I realize you did not say that, but Alumni Association is generally handed the ball with these type of events as it was in the trial bus trips in 07 and 08. I doubt you could get the Foundation to pony up the money for buses, and the admin would not see it as their responsiblity either so who is left to make things work, the Alumni Assoication. Its a social function and that fits their mission. I guess I am saying you need some one very generous and determined to fill the buses on game day because it won't happen on its own. I believe the Empire Staters found that out when they had to eat the losses.
                    Its a good idea, but needs some sort of a safety net.

Comment

The bus trip to Brookings is something we (Sioux Empire Staters) worked on a couple of times. Information was sent via email and I believe was also included in several mailings. At our other gatherings, many people would say, "Ooh, that would be fun!" and then hardly anyone would actually sign up. The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that Brookings is too close. If it is 60 miles each way and your car gets 20 mpg, you use 6 gallons of gas; about $20 bucks. I think the best we could get was tickets at $25 bucks a seat (if sold the whole bus) and you lost the ability to leave at your convenience, go where you wanted before/after the game, etc. Unless someone comes up with some cash to subsidize the trips, it probably won't ever catch on, however we haven't ruled out trying it again in the future.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                        The bus trip to Brookings is something we (Sioux Empire Staters) worked on a couple of times. Information was sent via email and I believe was also included in several mailings. At our other gatherings, many people would say, "Ooh, that would be fun!" and then hardly anyone would actually sign up. The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that Brookings is too close. If it is 60 miles each way and your car gets 20 mpg, you use 6 gallons of gas; about $20 bucks. I think the best we could get was tickets at $25 bucks a seat (if sold the whole bus) and you lost the ability to leave at your convenience, go where you wanted before/after the game, etc. Unless someone comes up with some cash to subsidize the trips, it probably won't ever catch on, however we haven't ruled out trying it again in the future.
                        There you are folks, 1st Row was in the middle of this and apparently they worked hard to get out the word and it still did not get the desired results. I suspect, game day is pretty much a private affair for everyone. A number of things to do and places to go after the game.

I wished I had the cash to help out, as I would agree, its not likely to be a money making deal if ever.

I recall going to Maryville Mo for our game with NWMU a number of years back. The Huskers were at home that day and the traffic between Omaha and Lincoln was unbelieveable. I was going east and the Husker fans were going west. I dont recall seeing any shuttle buses along the way, but that does not mean they don't have them. If our football program continues to improve and move to a higher level, then maybe we will have the same problem on game day, that is bumper to bumper on I-29 going North at noon and south about 4 in the afternoon. Shuttle buses might be come an alternative for SF people.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 08-18-2009, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I think the Alumni Association has done a very good job with events given what they have to work with in terms of staff and budget.

89 needs some $$$ help here.
                          Thanks for the kind words Nidaros, and you are right about the Alumni Association needing the support of its members.

The Alumni Association has set up a fund - The Jackrabbits Forever Fund - through the SDSU Foundation to make it easier for Alumni and friends to support their Alumni Association.

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...id=1&pgid=1289

Go State!

Comment

For something like the bus trips, I feel it is the athletic department's responsibility to start and run them for a few years. The athletic department has a much larger budget and a far more powerful marketing presence. After they are established and successful, then they can be handed off to the alumni association. That's just my opinion, anyway.

On a different topic...

I brought up the NDSU Downtown Campus earlier in the thread. By coincidence, the Fargo Forum just wrapped up a four-part series about it this morning. I put together this set of links for Bisonville, but I'd like to get a bit more use out of the work, and I thought a few of you might be interested in this stuff. Registration is required, but it's free. If you decide to read the comments, take them with a huge grain of salt. There seems to be a small group of very vocal posters who like to complain about EVERYTHING. It doesn't matter the topic, they just seem to want to be mad at things. They hardly ever get their facts right, so if you read something that sounds bad, ask and I'll find out the real truth on the matter.

Day 1:
                            Story: NDSU aims to stay unified as it grows
                            Sidebar: About Richard H. Barry Hall
                            Graphic: NDSU and downtown Fargo
                            Graphic: Distances to NDSU points
                            Photo: Cityscapes Plaza building
                            Photo: Apartments in Cityscapes Plaza
                            Photo: Richard H. Barry Hall
                            Photo: NDSU President Joseph Chapman in Barry Hall
                            Photo: The 280-seat auditorium

Day 2:
                            Story: Downtown businesses hope for boost from NDSU
                            Interactive Map: Downtown Fargo business guide
                            Photo: Downtown businesses near Cityscapes
                            Photo: Matt Oland of Orange Records

Day 3:
                            Story: Students squeeze, developers swarm
                            Interactive Map: Cityscapes
                            Interactive Map: Fargo Renaissance Zone
                            Photo: Moving in

Day 4:
                            Story: Herd to bus, bike, hoof it
                            Graphic: Bus Routes
                            Graphic: Bike Routes
                            Photo: Buses

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                              For something like the bus trips, I feel it is the athletic department's responsibility to start and run them for a few years. The athletic department has a much larger budget and a far more powerful marketing presence. After they are established and successful, then they can be handed off to the alumni association. That's just my opinion, anyway.
                              Its an adminstrative thing, and what works for NDSU does not always work for SDSU. I doubt you got any buses coming in from Grand Forks or any other outstate city in ND paid for by the athletic department even if they have the money. Its probably some thing that your Alumni Association might organize, but with your Fargo folks walking to the dome you dont need any out of towners. Its a different story down south.

Comment

Really looking forward to tomorrow's activities. Couldn't go golfing today, but will take in tomorrow. My 2 year old girl who says every time she sees a Jacks logo "Go Jacks Daddy" and I are going to have a good time seeing the "Go Jacks" tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X