Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if . . . Filbert wanted to retire from owning/running the site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What if . . . Filbert wanted to retire from owning/running the site?

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
    I wonder if one of the concerns is that you can buy sdsufans merchandise. I am guessing that the profits from this do not exceed your costs, but the whole commercialization issue gets raised.

I have no doubt that this will be worked out. SDSU A.D. realizes that this board benefits them far more than it hurts them.
    My personal donations to SDSU Athletics, let alone my basketball season ticket purchases, since this site went online collectively overwhelm by several orders of magnitude the total amount of donations I've ever received from readers plus purchases from the SDSUFans.com store by people other than me.

Not complaining or soliciting anything, just stating a fact.

The SDSU administration can claim anything they want regarding copyright and trademark infringement, which is different from actually being right about it, should someone be ornry enough to argue it.

But, that's not the point at all--we're all (well, most of us are) here to support SDSU and SDSU athletics specifically, not to get into any kind of rather pointless and divisive p!$$ing contest about names and logos. That's the theory, anyway.

So, if they come back and say "just put a disclaimer on the site saying you're not affiliated with SDSU in any way and we'll call it good" that'll be cool. If they want more, that'll be OK too, as long as what they want has some contact with the real world of rational people, and not pulled completely out the a$$ of legal-prickdom. (Which of course is in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?)

(I'm kinda looking at vBulletin to see how to put such a disclaimer on each page, but I suck at CSS, too, so it's taking a while.)
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Could ou add the disclaimer right on the bottom of your banner - It would show up on every page that way and you wouldn't have to worry about programming it into the vbulletin software.

Thanks for the site over the past years Filbert. Enjoy your time off(Whenever that comes!)

Comment

I guess I don't know what the admin control panel here looks like, but if something like what I use on my forums, there should be something like a "skinning and styles" section. Under there, there may be an option called "board wrappers." Under that option would be a footer section. There is where the best option of putting the disclaimer. Putting it there would put the disclaimer at the bottom of every page. That is where I think it would look the best instead of in the banner.

As for the banner itself, maybe have a pic of the Campinile or sporting even that isn't the property of SDSU, maybe taken by the fans. Something like Bisonville has of their experience at the Metrodome at the NCAA tournament.

Comment

As you guys may notice, I made the banner up at the top of the screen much, much uglier . . . for now, anyway.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Filbert,
            Didn't mean to imply anything, and definitely was going to defer to you on making statements about your contributions. I was just kind of thinking out loud that maybe someone in the AD said, "you know they sell stuff on that site." And someone else thinks, "Hmm, wonder if they can do that." I think this goes away quietly.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Filbert, I saw you took the mascot off... since you had your design well before State had theirs, don't you think you might be protected under right of first usage? I though you might have copyrighted it, too.

Not trying to stir up another hornets nest, but the top seems kinda empty without your cool logo.
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                Filbert, I saw you took the mascot off... since you had your design well before State had theirs, don't you think you might be protected under right of first usage? I though you might have copyrighted it, too.

Not trying to stir up another hornets nest, but the top seems kinda empty without your cool logo.
                Oh, I probably could lawyer up and make things messy for everybody, but it seems to me that kinda defeats the fundamental purpose of the site.

And yeah, it's pretty bare-bones right now. Some day when I get bored I'll probably do something half-way creative. Or maybe I'll turn over the reins and/or bring another guy/gal on-board to help run the joint who's got more artistic chops . . . dunno, really.

I'm chillin' in the chilly dog-days of summer right now . . .
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I agree in that I don't see a reason to stir up issues with the university. I think we could enjoy reading and posting on this board if it was done in plain text.

I know that funding is the key issue for continuing to develop a strong Division I presence and have no issue if the university is keeping tabs on any entity out there, including this board, that could infringe on their image or athletic product. It is their responsibility to know whats going on related to Jackrabbit Athletics. That being said I'm sure that there are many within the department that realize that this board is a huge benefit to the program, as it gets rubes like us to obsess even more over many aspects of Jackrabbit athletics.
                  Last edited by JackrabbitGuy; 07-22-2009, 07:49 AM. Reason: Didn't complete my original thought in my first draft.
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

I've been informed that the concerned folks at SDSU have had their concerns met by the various changes I've made here, and that as a bonus, I could even start using my galloping rabbit logo again.

So, once I get a chance, I'll put the logo back, and I'll also get back to those folks who've expressed an interest in helping out with the technical end of things here.

All is Well in Rabbitland.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                    X