Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if . . . Filbert wanted to retire from owning/running the site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if . . . Filbert wanted to retire from owning/running the site?

Is there someone else out there with a smidge of computer experience who could pick up enough Unix (or whatever), install and maintain the vBulletin software, and otherwise free me up from worrying about SDSUfans.com?

Here's why I'm thinking of passing the baton:

1) Snookums really, REALLY wants to take a World Cruise. All of those that we might want to take are basically from January through March, at the heart of basketball season. I don't necessarily want to be somewhere on the other side of the world for that long, should something happen to the site and it require maintenance. And, frankly, I wouldn't mind going on a world cruise, too.

2) I've started getting hints from the SDSU people that "SDSUFans.com" and some various other things are infringing on SDSU's copyrights and/or trademarks. Without going into the merits of that argument, it might be time to update the look, and perhaps the name of the site, and avoid giving SDSU administrators unreasonable heartburn at night. I'm not completely sure I have the necessary ambition to do all of that, if there's someone else I can dump it off onto.

3) I've held the reins here for a while now. Somebody new should get the opportunity.

So, anybody out there have the interest and the ability to take a shot at being The Big Kahuna for the SDSU fan discussion board?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: What if . . . Filbert wanted to retire from owning/running the site?

At your service

I can bring a whole new perspective

Actually - given the choice between running an internet board and sailing around the world, I'd drop control of the board so fast, heads would spin for days. Excellent choice - and Snookums has good taste in vacationing options. I hope everything falls into place.

Comment

I don't really see what concerns the administration can reasonably have with copyright / trademark issues. This is SDSUFans.com Forum - Of, by, and for South Dakota State Jackrabbits Fans. Methinks that makes it a bit of a stretch to think that reasonable people will confuse this forum with an official mouthpiece of SDSU.

I see only two little issues: 1. The logo used on this site; and 2. The lack of a disclaimer.

1. If the logo used on this site is an official logo (i didn't think so), then they might have a point. I remember how Bisonville's predecessor had issues with logo usage. The logo they then used to appease NDSU was pretty classic. If they don't like yours, then just have a SDSUFans contest for a new one.

2. Putting a disclaimer on your page can't be that difficult. Put one up. Problem solved.

Maybe I'm missing something? The SDSU part of SDSUFans? That would involve stepping pretty deep into the bovine fecal matter, methinks.

Comment

Moderators are discussing the copyright and trademark issues, waiting for additional "guidance" from SDSU officials. Generally, I come down about the same as UTH but I suppose we don't want to get into a big dustup with those we're supposed to be supporting (and is it safe to assume they really don't want to get into a big dustup with their supporters?).

Comment

I don't know how many times a day I click "New Posts" on this board to find out whats on other peoples mind. This board has been a valueable tool in our march to D1 and it continues to grow in interest. Note the envy from the USD people who frequent this board. Its pretty active compared to their board.

I am still trying to figure out what I learned in a programming class relating to BASIC language nearly thirty years ago, so I am hardly the successor to Filbert. I have no idea what scripts are all about.

That said, I really would want the board to go on and what ever it takes to keep it going I sure would be in favor of. What ever the adminstration wants this group to back off of, well I am sure it can be worked out. I hope they are informed of the value this board is to SDSU in building a following. Surely they can not turn their nose up at that aspect.

With all the engineering folks, we should be able to find a capable replacement to Filbert. Travel when you can, and I can easily understand what Filbert and Snookums wants to do in the future. Good luck with the travel.

Comment

I'd really hate to see anything happen to this forum and I don't know what the administration's problem is as this has been a big tool in generating and keeping fan's interest in their athletic programs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the logo for this site was created by Filbert (before SDSU changed theirs to closely resemble it) and a simple disclaimer that states that this site is not sponsored by South Dakota State pretty much clears up any confusion by people.

I learned just enough in c/c++/unix class to pass it as a requirement for my engineering degree but don't think I'd be savvy enough to head up a forum, hopefully someone can step up to carry the torch.

Comment

I've had experience as an admin of my own forums for several years now. Granted it was nothing the size of membership this forum has. I also did most of the graphics on that site as well. I don't have a huge background in programming though, same as Jacks-02. Most of the modifications to my forums were done by altering the existing code by trial and error and see what worked and what didn't. All of my experience has been with the invisionfree.com forums. I don't have any Unix experience. Is it easy to pick up? I thought it was fairly easy to pick up some of the code I was give to decipher what did what. Probably couldn't write new code since I wasn't a CS major. Willing to throw my hat in the ring though.

Comment

The copyright/trademark issue is more of a good-sounding excuse for bringing it up than it is a real concern on my part, frankly. I told the SDSU folks we could deal with it like adults to take care of their concerns (as soon as I sufficiently understand them, of course) without anyone getting their dander up too much. I could easily (if not cheaply) lawyer up if I felt ornry, but I really don't, not at this point. We're one big happy family!

The main change for most users will probably be some new domain name rather than SDSUFans.com.

Any suggestions?

(Part of my thought processes leading to this thread was that whoever would take the helm of this particular ship might want to have his or her input on a new site name, which is what got my thinking going down this particular road.)

But my main concern is like I originally said . . . being on the other side of the world on a cruise ship with minimal Internet access during the heart of basketball season, when the site somehow craps out. That would be bad.

I would certainly plan to continue participating in the Jackrabbit Board, no matter who runs it and what name it goes forward with, regardless of whether or not I run the joint.

I wouldn't get to ban people, of course (unless I continued being a moderator, that is), but the fun and enjoyment in doing that is vastly overrated, anyway.

There's also the possibility that I'd stay on as co-owner/co-techie running the site, sharing the responsibility with someone else who knew enough about Unix, SQL, and vBulletin (which is primarily some skill with using search engines, and the ability to form a coherent question to vBulletin's tech support guys). Two heads are usually better than one, and backup is ALWAYS good, especially when you're talking tech support. Someone who can craft a working automated backup script (something which for whatever reason I seem incapable of doing) would be especially welcome.

So . . . except for Uth, no takers yet, eh?
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

If you go Filbert, hope we get someone just like you, i think the reason this board is so popular is because it is run by the "best" owner/operater ever.I'm sucking up enough i'm starting to make myself sickAnyway,don't worry.....be happy,or put another way ,"I think we'll be OK" Have a nice cruise Filbert.
                  Last edited by jackdaniel; 07-15-2009, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I would at least be interested in knowing more about the situation. I am a systems administrator by trade and although I'm not a huge programmer I do some scripting out of necessity and have a background in programming from a few years back.
                    The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

How about JackrabbitNation.com

Frankly, a little cheezy as I don't care much for the whole "Nation" thing but it is fun and why not take it and run with it.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Evolution Prime and JackrabbitGuy, I PM'ed you . . .
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Seriously, how can they say sdsufans.com doesn't work. Its right in the adress that its a fan site. Is fansofsdsu.com better?

How about sdsufansnotsponsoredbytheuniversity.com?

or peoplewholikesdsuathletics.com

What a joke.

Comment

As filbert said, I'm not trying to open a discussion of the copyright concerns -- whatever they may be. This is more of an observation than anything:

The two main University of Minnesota forums, gopherhole and gopherpucklive (aka GPL), both use the team nickname in their site name/web addresses, without any apparent flack from the administration as both have been around for a long time.

As a member of GPL for a few years, I have learned that the University does prohibit the use of official logos to identify the site, however members freely use various U of M logos for their avatars.

Gopherhole does use an image of Goldy on their site banner that that looks very similar to but is not exactly like the official Goldy. Hmmm ...

I'm sure we'll find a way to reasonably address our administration's concerns. As for a new name? jackrabbitfans.com or jacksfans.com? I agree with EQGuy: never cared for the whole "nation" thing, but jackrabbitnation.com isn't that bad ...
                            "You trusted us"

Comment

I wonder if one of the concerns is that you can buy sdsufans merchandise. I am guessing that the profits from this do not exceed your costs, but the whole commercialization issue gets raised.

I have no doubt that this will be worked out. SDSU A.D. realizes that this board benefits them far more than it hurts them.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X