• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athletics still shining light at ORU

Interesting story about the Golden Eagles:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/art...1_THEUPH571832

Athletics still shining light at ORU

By JOHN KLEIN Senior Sports Columnist

THE UPHEAVAL surrounding Oral Roberts University, which resulted in a complete restructuring of the university's administration and finances, seems to have left ORU athletics pretty much untouched.

Of course, that isn't entirely true. Any major shift in the general university will impact a school's athletic department.

But athletic director Mike Carter seems to have used a steady hand to guide the Golden Eagles through what could have been a rough ride.

ORU is celebrating this summer. It recently won its fourth consecutive Summit League Commissioner's Cup, which is presented to the league's overall best-performing athletic program. ORU has won the award eight times in the past 12 years and finished second in three other years.

ORU basketball coach Scott Sutton, who has taken the Golden Eagles to the NCAA Tournament in three of the past four years, said the continued success of the school's athletic teams is a tribute to Carter. "Mike has done a great job of taking care of all of that other stuff," Sutton said. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Athletics still shining light at ORU

I guess the biggest surprise of SDSU joining the Summit was the competitiveness of ORU not only in men's basketball but other sports as well. There athletic dept seems to be well managed and they want to do everything right.

Now over in the admin, there has been sinning going on that the founder never wanted nor did he pray for it, but his dear son is something else. I know I getting smacky, but when you have an adminstration that does not want to be transparent and appropriate in all their actions, then you make the wrong kind of news and your image as an institution is impaired.

The gentleman who started the Hobby Lobby chain, whose name I do not recall, has invested in the recovery of ORU in terms of finances and with his leadership their problems in terms of school adminstration will soon disappear. I hope so as we need ORU in the Summit Conference, and they have a whale of a men's bb program.

Comment

I'm not surprised by what happened at ORU. OU does it all the time but gets away with it because the NCAA kisses it's rear all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by OKC_Poke View Post
        I'm not surprised by what happened at ORU. OU does it all the time but gets away with it because the NCAA kisses it's rear all the time.
        OU does what all the time and gets away with it? I'm not following you.
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
          OU does what all the time and gets away with it? I'm not following you.
          I meant that OU's athletic department gets away with murder, almost literally. Rhett Bomar and Adrain Peterson are prime examples. I know ORU bright star is the athletics but still....

Oklahoma in general loves cheaters. It's how the Sooner name came about. Peole who were already in the area before the gun sounded to start the Land Runs of 1889 & 1893.

Comment

I meant that OU's athletic department gets away with murder, almost literally. Rhett Bomar and Adrain Peterson are prime examples. I know ORU bright star is the athletics but still....

Oklahoma in general loves cheaters. It's how the Sooner name came about. Peole who were already in the area before the gun sounded to start the Land Runs of 1889 & 1893.

What did Peterson do? I'm with J-Guy. What are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
              What did Peterson do? I'm with J-Guy. What are you talking about?
              He got a free sports car while STILL playing at OU.

Comment

Well, not exactly. He couldn't make the payments, he returned the car, and was cleared. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2413962
                There are enough legitimate transgressions in a lot of places to get worked up over. This wasn't one of them.

Comment

Apparently a lot of hatred there, but they're still playing unlike USD/SDSU-- and it's not even OU's biggest rival.

Always liked OSU, especially having a waltz as a fight song...

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                    Apparently a lot of hatred there, but they're still playing unlike USD/SDSU-- and it's not even OU's biggest rival.

Always liked OSU, especially having a waltz as a fight song...
                    Actually, I root for Wyoming.

I just can't stand OU and their fans.

Comment

they took a hit on Bomar...
                      Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                      Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
                        they took a hit on Bomar...
                        Not much of one. Just a slap on the hand.

Comment

Not much of one. Just a slap on the hand.
                          And Stoops gave him the boot.
                          Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                          Muhammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                          X