Woodside goes undrafted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodside goes undrafted

There had been hope for Woodsides to make a NBA Draft choice. It did not happen. Here is the link in the Fargo Forum:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/

Re: Woodside goes undrafted

I am suprised the T'Wolves didn't take him. They needed another PG.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      There had been hope for Woodsides to make a NBA Draft choice. It did not happen. Here is the link in the Fargo Forum:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/
      Even in what was a weak draft a guy like Woodside isn't draft material. He is good but he isn't NBA draft material. Doesn't mean he won't get a shot to make a team and that he won't take advantage of that shot. Just means there are other players with more NBA potential.

I remember when some NDSU fans told me they expected him to have a successful NBA career. I laughed and told them they were crazy to expect that. Then, I started to see the chatter on here about the same thing after the Kansas game. I maintained that I didn't think he was quite big enough or quite a good enough defender, shooter or finisher to consistently perform in a 90 plus game/year league with the best players in the world. It is a HUGE transition from Summit league play and 1 NCAA tourney game to the NBA. But again, what do I know.

Here is the link where the previous discussion took place.

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...oodside&page=3

Again, I hope he makes the most of a summer camp invite and signs a free agent contract if continuing to play basketball at the professional level is what he wants to do. I have no doubt that he could play overseas right now so that is always an option.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Even in what was a weak draft a guy like Woodside isn't draft material. He is good but he isn't NBA draft material. Doesn't mean he won't get a shot to make a team and that he won't take advantage of that shot. Just means there are other players with more NBA potential.

I remember when some NDSU fans told me they expected him to have a successful NBA career. I laughed and told them they were crazy to expect that. Then, I started to see the chatter on here about the same thing after the Kansas game. I maintained that I didn't think he was quite big enough or quite a good enough defender, shooter or finisher to consistently perform in a 90 plus game/year league with the best players in the world. It is a HUGE transition from Summit league play and 1 NCAA tourney game to the NBA. But again, what do I know.

Again, I hope he makes the most of a summer camp invite and signs a free agent contract if continuing to play basketball at the professional level is what he wants to do. I have no doubt that he could play overseas right now so that is always an option.
        Jackmd:
        I am hardly a judge of talent, nor was I arguing that a big injustice was committed by NBA drafting people, by ignoring Woodsides. These NBA people are the real judge of talent. I was only paraphrasing what the Fargo Forum said the day before, in that Woodside's agent thought that Woodside would be a choice. I like Woody, but what you are saying may very well be the final analysis of his career. Too small for NBA and weak on defense.

Comment

Agree.

There was no way Woodside was going to get drafted. A guy I am real familar with; Patty Mills PG out of St. Mary's (CA) and Australia, was looked at going late 1st round, early 2nd round and didn't get drafted until one of the last picks (55th).

Comment

Just goes to show how huge the difference in talent is between the NCAA and NBA. Only 60 guys from the thousands that play college ball get drafted, and of those maybe 20-30 actually make an NBA roster.

Always make me laugh when some guy at the bar says that UNC or Duke could beat the Clippers or some other crappy NBA team. Hansbrough didn't even get picked in the top 10 and goes from player of the year to role player and fighting for a roster spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
              Just goes to show how huge the difference in talent is between the NCAA and NBA. Only 60 guys from the thousands that play college ball get drafted, and of those maybe 20-30 actually make an NBA roster.

Always make me laugh when some guy at the bar says that UNC or Duke could beat the Clippers or some other crappy NBA team. Hansbrough didn't even get picked in the top 10 and goes from player of the year to role player and fighting for a roster spot.
              Yes the influx of International Players, in my opinion has really made an impact on the talent level now in the NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Jackmd:
                I am hardly a judge of talent, nor was I arguing that a big injustice was committed by NBA drafting people, by ignoring Woodsides. These NBA people are the real judge of talent. I was only paraphrasing what the Fargo Forum said the day before, in that Woodside's agent thought that Woodside would be a choice. I like Woody, but what you are saying may very well be the final analysis of his career. Too small for NBA and weak on defense.
                Not calling anybody out, I just think there is a lack of understanding about just how good you have to be to play in the NBA. Woodside is probably the best college guard most of us saw play in person this year. Guy is an impressive player regardless of the results of this draft or his basketball future.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I too did not think Woodside would be drafted, but I'm a poor judge of talent at the NBA level. I really did not think Hill would be drafted in the first round last year, in fact I didn't think he would be drafted at all. He did get drafted by the Spurs. I did think Mike Miller would be drafted, but at the end of round one and he ended up being the No. 5 pick overall. Proof again that I can't judge NBA talent.

Woodside is a combination of being too short and not enough athletisizm to overcome his height issue. There are players in the NBA that are short, but they can usually jump out of the gym.

I'm sure if it does not work out for him in an NBA camp that he can play overseas if that is what he wants to do. I wish him luck in whatever career path he choses.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Totally agree. It would be foolish to draft him--he doesn't look like enough of a difference maker that he's worth drafting as opposed to inviting to try out.

He's got a fair bit of skill and a solid work ethic, and IMO, has a pretty good shot at making an NBA roster. From there, who knows? I mean, heck, it's not like Steve Nash is a wizard on defense.....

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      Totally agree. It would be foolish to draft him--he doesn't look like enough of a difference maker that he's worth drafting as opposed to inviting to try out.

He's got a fair bit of skill and a solid work ethic, and IMO, has a pretty good shot at making an NBA roster. From there, who knows? I mean, heck, it's not like Steve Nash is a wizard on defense.....
                      So now he's Steve Nash......

I thought he was Kirk Hinrich.....

He's Ben Woodside and he might make a NBA roster. I didn't think he would get drafted and he didn't. I'm not a judge of basketball talent just a guy who has played, coached and watched the game for 30 plus years. Lastly, I sure as heck don't know much about architecture.........

Comment

So now he's Steve Nash......
                        I said that?

I compared him to another short PG with limited defensive ability who has, nonetheless, done alright for himself. I never said he'd be as good as Nash, better than Nash, etc. Just that Nash overcame some of the same obstacles.

Comment

It didn't surprise me he didn't get drafted but I do believe he has the ability to make it if he gets a chance to prove himself.

I was almost wondering if not being drafted could in some ways work to his advantage. Maybe he gets a number of tryouts instead of being stuck with a team. Certainly there is the D-League and other opportunities to play and if he continues to shine then he will get the chance to make it to the NBA.

I wish him the best of luck and am glad I don't have to see him in a Bison jersey anymore.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

He's going to be playing in the TWolves summer league. The Wolves didn't sign him to a contract, so he's still an undrafted free agent and anyone can pick him up at any time. The ball is totally in his court now(sorry). The NBA Summer League is held July 10-19 in Las Vegas.

Comment

I wish him luck. I hope he gets an opportunity somewhere.
                              The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Working...
                              X