Argus reports "SDSU's cozy deal questioned"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Argus reports "SDSU's cozy deal questioned"

Boards of Directors have huge responsibilities these days. Long gone are the days when the CEO of a company picked 10 good friends who made sure the CEO kept his job. Directors have a fiduciary duty to the company on whose board they serve. It isn't just a matter of showing up and moving to suspend the reading of the minutes of the last meeting so that they can head out to the golf course. Dr. Chicoine will have to invest significant time to be a good director. (And that's the one question I have: does he have the time?)

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
      According to the Charter, the BOD meets 4-6 times a year. I am sure what other professors do with their personal time would be up to them. I really don't know and JimmyJack could probably give us better info on that.
      Professors have a lot more personal time than President Chicoine does, I can guarantee you that. My summer vacation starts in a week and lasts until mid-August.

That said, there are BOR policies that deal with this kind of thing. I'm guessing there is some time commitment here for the President, but I would also think that a lot of that will be a few hours here and there with meetings from time to time. Presidents do have leave time they can use for those obligations just as other BOR employees do.

The bottom line for me is:

1. This is good company for President Chicoine to keep (as Filbert pointed out).
      2. There are BOR policies that regulate how these kinds of private obligations work into one's regular schedule, and that includes using leave time.
      3. It's not at all unusual for university presidents to serve on corporate boards.
      4. President Chicoine has had about 500 irons in the fire since day one, and he's managed to keep it together and get a lot done so far. I can't imagine this would change anything.
      5. The job of a university president has changed over the years. Few university presidents spend their time, on a day-to-day basis, working on the details of running the university. They fundraise, set priorities, plot strategy, handle lobbying, etc. In other words, the kinds of things a board member does are very much compatible with what a university president does. It would be pretty easy to integrate those duties.
      6. University presidents are not "on the clock". President Chicoine works days and nights and weekends for years at a time. The state is getting its 40 a week out of him and then some (I wonder how many rubber chicken "banquets" he goes to in a year. I'll bet it's more than 50.)
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I agree with filbert's comments about the use of the word "cozy" in the Argus headline. Unfortunate.

Comment

I too do not approve of the headline.

The article was interesting but maybe not as damaging as we may think, as SDSU and agriculture in SD probably are preceptive enough to see how important this appointment is to them. I don't think we will see a tractor protest march around Woodbine Cottage by our farm operators. I am sure they can see some advantages. Agriculture has changed so much over the years, I would be so lost on a farm and would be a high risk to operate some of the high price equipment in use. Its a changing world and agriculture is still a huge part of South Dakota.

Back in 1998, I recall talking to a farmer friend at the last football game of the year. It was a cold day and fortunately we were beating up on Morningside. President Miller had just been appointed President a day or two before. My farmer friend was so disappointed with the appointment and wondered out loud "What does this woman know about Agriculture? We need an ag person as president".

Well Peggy probably did not know much about SD or agriculture but she did her best to get up to speed and she did pretty good despite that lack of background. She had other skills to compensate. Now fast forward to the present, we have a president with an agriculture network that is priceless and some are worried about cozy conflicts of interest. HUHH???????

I just dont get it. The dollars and salary earned are not a problem in my mind. I know I have not the expertise to sit on the Montesano board so why should I question the ability of one of my fellow alums who does have that expertise.

I hope and pray that the headline does not rest in most people minds. Those that would look down on SDSU in the past, present and the future are sure to retain this headline, but others I am hoping will quickly forget and move on to something else.

If this was Stu's damaging article, it's something I can live with.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 05-04-2009, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Well if the general public objects to SDSU getting money from private firms, there's an easy fix for that.

You think ag firms ain't been dumping money into UIUC, Iowa State, K-State, Arkansas, Ohio State, Purdue, etc., for decades??

SDSU has just shed some of its naivete regarding business and academics, and while it would be nice if things worked differently, they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              Well if the general public objects to SDSU getting money from private firms, there's an easy fix for that.

You think ag firms ain't been dumping money into UIUC, Iowa State, K-State, Arkansas, Ohio State, Purdue, etc., for decades??

SDSU has just shed some of its naivete regarding business and academics, and while it would be nice if things worked differently, they don't.
              I tend to agree with this. I think that more than anything this board position is a sign that SDSU is now getting into the game with the bigger Ag Universities. I may be an eternal optimist but I guess I have faith that President Chicoine is doing a good job and will manage this additional responsibility well and make sure it benefits SDSU.

I think some of the backlash against this is just part of the adjustment process of realizing that the profile of SDSU is changing and if we want SDSU to continue to progress into the regional/national scene as "a leading research institution" this is part of the process.
              The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

This mentality isn't any different than when SDSU went D-I. People in SD saw change and they chringed. In President Chicoine's situation SD people think he's already making enough money being SDSU's president why doesn't he need another 400K on top of that.

Come on people, get your mind out of the 1930s and look at the bigger picture. Things like this happen ALL over the country and we should focus on the fact that relationships like Monsanto's make SDSU's presidency position much more appealing to future candidates because our president's salary certainly isn't as high as other peer institutions.

Comment

Every Sunday Morning, a law professor from USD, Max Myer has a half hour program on Elder care and the legal issues involved. A good program, and it mentions in its opening and closing that the USD Law School is the only law school in SD. That said, SDSU agriculture college and experiment station and extension service are the only agriculture services in the state of SD. Tic for tac and etc, about being exclusive.

If Agriculture is important to SD, should not the SDSU President be very visible in these matters, including being on the board of directors of a multinational corporation that affects agriculture products grown in SD. What he gets for salary and stock options is small potatoes when you consider what this connection can do for research at SDSU and improve the markets for the average farm operator. Right now corn and soybeans are doing pretty good in the market place, but if the alternative fuels do not become a reality, things could change. So as I said in my other post, Dr Chicoines seat on this board and all of his various people he knows and could be considered his network in the ag world are priceless for SDSU.
                  Last edited by Nidaros; 05-08-2009, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    it mentions in its opening and closing that the USD Law School is the only law school in SD
                    Sorry for the pending thread derailment, but that line reminded me of a favorite lawyer quote:

"A small town that cannot support one lawyer can always support two"

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      Sorry for the pending thread derailment, but that line reminded me of a favorite lawyer quote:

"A small town that cannot support one lawyer can always support two"
                      Thread drift, but guess what station carries this Law program? None other than WNAX.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        Professors have a lot more personal time than President Chicoine does, I can guarantee you that. My summer vacation starts in a week and lasts until mid-August.

That said, there are BOR policies that deal with this kind of thing. I'm guessing there is some time commitment here for the President, but I would also think that a lot of that will be a few hours here and there with meetings from time to time. Presidents do have leave time they can use for those obligations just as other BOR employees do.

The bottom line for me is:

1. This is good company for President Chicoine to keep (as Filbert pointed out).
                        2. There are BOR policies that regulate how these kinds of private obligations work into one's regular schedule, and that includes using leave time.
                        3. It's not at all unusual for university presidents to serve on corporate boards.
                        4. President Chicoine has had about 500 irons in the fire since day one, and he's managed to keep it together and get a lot done so far. I can't imagine this would change anything.
                        5. The job of a university president has changed over the years. Few university presidents spend their time, on a day-to-day basis, working on the details of running the university. They fundraise, set priorities, plot strategy, handle lobbying, etc. In other words, the kinds of things a board member does are very much compatible with what a university president does. It would be pretty easy to integrate those duties.
                        6. University presidents are not "on the clock". President Chicoine works days and nights and weekends for years at a time. The state is getting its 40 a week out of him and then some (I wonder how many rubber chicken "banquets" he goes to in a year. I'll bet it's more than 50.)
                        JimmyJack is absolutely on the money with this list. Numbers 5 and 6 are the most important. Everywhere Dr. Chicoine goes he is representing SDSU no matter what the clock says. That's part of the job. As long as there are the proper policies in place then it is a good thing for Dr. Chicoine and SDSU.

Congrats to Dr. Chicoine on his appointment to Monsanto's board.

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Argus ran and editorial response to the story and basically said that it is a good thing for the state and its also a good thing that it is out in the open early so the process stays transparent.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Sen. Kloucek weighs in on the issue in today's Mitchell Daily Republic:

http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/event/article/id/34118/

Comment

HAHAHA, well if Frank Kloucek's name is on the bill we don't need to worry about it passing the SD legislature.

Comment

IMHO, I hope that Sen. Kloucek does a better job on the details of the legislative bill than he appears to have researched the details of Chicoine's appointment to Monsanto's board position.

Comment

Working...
                                X