This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Stu article speculation

Either I am blind or this is a late April Fools joke. No article or column by Stu Whitney in today's paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Either I am blind or this is a late April Fools joke. No article or column by Stu Whitney in today's paper.
      You aren't blind. Stu is likely just trying to stir things up like always. He doens't have any facts but rather is just trying to write a story based on all the rumors floating around about Dr. Oien's retirement. He likes to write stories based on rumors or when the facts are there he just simply ignores them. That's what makes him a piss poor journalist.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
        Stu writes snarky articles in the past and now we have a possible tabloid- type piece coming. You think we should accept that as a trade-off because the paper gives State good coverage? I don't understand the reasoning. I assume they give SDSU coverage because theres interest from their readers, not because they are being kind.
        Yes, that's what I'm saying. Newspapers are staffed by people, not robots. Most of what they do is based on their judgments of what their readers want, not daily readouts of scientific readership data. If they're paying attention to you, you take the bad with the good.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
          Stu writes snarky articles in the past and now we have a possible tabloid- type piece coming. You think we should accept that as a trade-off because the paper gives State good coverage? I don't understand the reasoning. I assume they give SDSU coverage because theres interest from their readers, not because they are being kind.
          Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          Yes, that's what I'm saying. Newspapers are staffed by people, not robots. Most of what they do is based on their judgments of what their readers want, not daily readouts of scientific readership data. If they're paying attention to you, you take the bad with the good.

And remember, that not every reader of the Argus is a SDSU fan/supporter. The vast, vast majority of the readers are NEUTRAL. If the Argus staff thinks that readers would be interested, they will print the article.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Rumors = tabloid material. I doubt the Argus wants to be known as a tabloid newspaper. Hopefully IF Stu was proposing an article someone higher up at the Argus put a stop to it.

While Dr Oien was a "public" official in some regards, he was still a state employee. As a state employee he does have some rights associated with his employment record (I would assume). The official stance is he retired, period. Anyone who thinks SDSU's president or anyone else is going to come out and say otherwise it going to be waiting a LONG, LONG time for that to happen.

At this point I wish everything with Fred would go away so SDSU and people associated with the athletic department can move forward with their lives. The distractions aren't good and a it's time for everyone to move on, including Fred.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
              Rumors = tabloid material. I doubt the Argus wants to be known as a tabloid newspaper. Hopefully IF Stu was proposing an article someone higher up at the Argus put a stop to it.

While Dr Oien was a "public" official in some regards, he was still a state employee. As a state employee he does have some rights associated with his employment record (I would assume). The official stance is he retired, period. Anyone who thinks SDSU's president or anyone else is going to come out and say otherwise it going to be waiting a LONG, LONG time for that to happen.

At this point I wish everything with Fred would go away so SDSU and people associated with the athletic department can move forward with their lives. The distractions aren't good and a it's time for everyone to move on, including Fred.
              I would agree with everything said here. We do need to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                While Dr Oien was a "public" official in some regards, he was still a state employee. As a state employee he does have some rights associated with his employment record (I would assume). The official stance is he retired, period.
                Exactly. The circumstances are none of our business. And it's old news anyway. Maybe they should expend their energy finding out more about our AD candidates. I would like a little more information about the candidates than we have gotten.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Wow! Three pages of stuff about Stu, and he did not even work this week!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post

Thats funny!!

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                      Stu's gotta be loving this right now. He's got 2 pages full of comments about an article that hasn't even made it to print yet. The world will not stop spinning tomorrow, not giving him any reaction is the best thing.
                      Exactly.

This thread has 25 posts (this one included) from 16 different posters, on something that was expressly based on a report of rumor (see post #1). In my view, if people want to continue posting, fine with me. But, this thread causes me to make the following observations:

1. Not one USD partisan jumped on SDSU on this. Maybe they're not so bad after all. (I suppose I risk extending this thread by making that comment. Hope not.)
                      2. My hat is off to Stu Whitney. I have not held him in high regard but I cannot remember when a local media person has held such sway. It's easy to understand people having strong reactions, favorable and unfavorable, to the words penned by a newspaper columnist. But, how many columnists in local media can garner such attention by not writing ANYTHING? My undergrad degree is in journalism. Had I remained in that profession, I would have done anything to have that kind of readership. Shorter version: shame on us.

I hope this thread dies right here and now.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
                        Makes you just kinda shake your head, don't it?

Today's reading is from the Book of Columnists, Chapter IX, Verses XXI-XXVII:
                        And in the latter days there will be Stus and rumors of Stus, and the goodly people will be much afraid, and there will be lamentations upon the message board, and much gnashing of teeth, as was common among the Tribe of the Long-eared Prairie Lagomorph.

And prophets will appear among the people, saying "Nay, do not let the Stu occupy thy mind's empty places," but the people will be afraid, and will be stiff-necked and will not listen. So the fear of the Stu will grow as a thistle plant upon the prairie.

"The Stu has not come," said some, but their shouts were as cries into the dark night, and none heeded them. (Thou has changed the Tense, said the Adminhare. Yeah, verily, said the filbert, begging forgiveness for that slight.)

"But The Stu will come," the people will cry. "And The Stu will write mockingly of our Tribe, we are sure of it, and we must read him, and we will despair!"

And the Adminhare will come unto them, saying "Yeah, verily, the Stu will come, like the floods upon the Jim River valley, and he will write mockingly of our Tribe, for the Stu is the Stu. And you will read him, for you are only human, and morbid curiosity is a curse of the mortal. And so thus I say to you: as you are the largest of all the Tribes, so then is the Stu drawn to you even as you feel compelled to read his foul Columns. You must bear the Tribulation of the Stu, for while you have now seen the Promised Land in several sports, you shall not prevail as long as you allow those such as the Stu to occupy thy mind's empty spaces."

But still the people will be afraid. So the Adminhare will speak unto them, saying "Oh, to heck with it" and so the Adminhare will obtain a large glass of Coke Zero, to better enjoy the spectacle which in those days will come to pass.
                        Thus endeth the reading. Go Rabbits!
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Okay, one more post from me:

Priceless, filbert!

Comment

I didnt see any article yesterday?

Comment

Originally posted by HARE1 View Post
                              I didnt see any article yesterday?
                              Yes. We know.

See above.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Lock this quick before it starts breathing again.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X