Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AD Search Narrowed to 3

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
    Our President has tremendous vision. Look at his Strategic Plan. Look at the candidates for the many high profile positions that have been filled or are under consideration. He has not gone out and recruited only Illinois people. Far from it.

Trust the process (a search committee narrowed the choices down to our current three AD candidates) and trust Dr. Chicoine he is top notch.

Go State!
    There is no question in my mind but others seem to feel the Illinois candidate has an edge and I find that hard to believe. Thats all.

Comment

Terry V. just posted the audio interview on the Argus site;

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

This is with the Ill. candidate, Thomas Michael. In my opinion, the interview started out a little rough as he did not come across too confidently, but as it goes on we can see what he is made of and how he will handle things. The best point he made was that he was a good listener and that would be important at the beginning if he was chosen AD. I dont see him as a shoe in by any means, but lets see how the other two sound in their audio. TV will post all three to the Argus website

Comment

I am surprised that no one is listening to the audio interviews and commenting. This my third consective post. Justin Sell's interview has been posted on the Argus site. Of the two candidates so far that I have listen too, my vote goes to Justin Sell. He knows what he is doing and comes across in a very positive manner. Either he is a very capable candidate or he has fooled a lot of people along the way. I certain he is a capable candidate. Still one more to go, and still have an open mind and willing to listen, but Mr. Sell had a very good interview.

Link:
        http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...rgusleader.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          If the Illinois candidate is heavy in academics and compliance, that could be a plus especially since we are very new to D1 and there is a temptation to grow to fast. How would you grow too fast? One sure way is for the AD and the compliance staff to look the wrong way when a non-qualifier comes along. Thats the kind of thing SDSU has been very careful about and it has paid off so far.
          Michael's position is on the academic side of the athletic department and most of his experience is on that side. At SDSU, the academic side is no longer part of the department (well, almost, a few small items left before it the split is finalized). As for complaince, we have one of the best compliance officers anywhere in Kathy Heylens and there is no doubt we will continue to have no problems there.

I attended the three media sessions with the candidates. Justin Sell (UNI) sold me. I was impressed ahead of time with his broad-based background, but concentrated on him, his manner, his grasp of the questions, and his answers. I would rank him #1 by far...but this process was set up as a search committee...not a selection committee. I believe I'm right in saying the larger field of 8 or 9 or whatever, was whittled down to 3 by President Chicoine and two other people who went to Minneapolis for interviews. After the visits with coaches, staff, university personnel, etc. I am assuming the President will listen to what other are saying and take that into consideration when he makes the choice. I would personally rank the three candidates as #1, Sell, #2 Dustin and #3 Michaels... but I've never been very good at picking the winning horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
            Michael's position is on the academic side of the athletic department and most of his experience is on that side. At SDSU, the academic side is no longer part of the department (well, almost, a few small items left before it the split is finalized). As for complaince, we have one of the best compliance officers anywhere in Kathy Heylens and there is no doubt we will continue to have no problems there.
            Jacks#1Fan Michael's position was Assistant director of Academic Services which is the various academic support services for athletes. That is still part of our athletic department I believe. What was recently split off is the academic porgrams, that is the instructions and advising of students in majors such as health promotion, etc. This is the same type of situation that the U of Illinois has. Academic services in the athletic department and academic programs elsewhere.

Comment

I attended the three media sessions with the candidates. Justin Sell (UNI) sold me. I was impressed ahead of time with his broad-based background, but concentrated on him, his manner, his grasp of the questions, and his answers. I would rank him #1 by far...but this process was set up as a search committee...not a selection committee. I believe I'm right in saying the larger field of 8 or 9 or whatever, was whittled down to 3 by President Chicoine and two other people who went to Minneapolis for interviews. After the visits with coaches, staff, university personnel, etc. I am assuming the President will listen to what other are saying and take that into consideration when he makes the choice. I would personally rank the three candidates as #1, Sell, #2 Dustin and #3 Michaels... but I've never been very good at picking the winning horse.
              All I have to go on are the two audios posted by TV. I need to go back to the Argus site and see if TV has posted the third interview. I am glad you are seeing the process much the same way I am. Michael just did not sound too positive in his interview and no doubt he is very young and IMO, he would have to deal with a learning curve to become a good AD. Can SDSU afford that given another candidate such as Sell is available and willing.

I think Michael has the ability, all of his abilities are not as developed as Sell abilities. Sell came across to me as one who really wanted this job. That I would hope would be obvious to others. I too am pulling for Sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                I am surprised that no one is listening to the audio interviews and commenting. This my third consective post. Justin Sell's interview has been posted on the Argus site. Of the two candidates so far that I have listen too, my vote goes to Justin Sell. He knows what he is doing and comes across in a very positive manner. Either he is a very capable candidate or he has fooled a lot of people along the way. I certain he is a capable candidate. Still one more to go, and still have an open mind and willing to listen, but Mr. Sell had a very good interview.

Link:
                http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...rgusleader.com

As of 11:20 PM, only two of three are posted on TV's blog. I agree with your evaluation. I was more impressed with Sell.
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Everybody I have talked to was very impressed with Justin Sell and not so impressed with the other two candidates. I wasn't able to attend their sessions, but I did listen to the audio of Sell and the UI guy. Sell blew him away. He's a very good public speaker, and answered questions in the news conference like a pro.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                    Jacks#1Fan Michael's position was Assistant director of Academic Services which is the various academic support services for athletes. That is still part of our athletic department I believe. What was recently split off is the academic porgrams, that is the instructions and advising of students in majors such as health promotion, etc. This is the same type of situation that the U of Illinois has. Academic services in the athletic department and academic programs elsewhere.
                    I stand corrected...didn't understand the difference when I read his resume. An overnight of thinking about it and re-listening to the three audios just reinforced my beliefs however that Justin Sell would make the best fit for SDSU. Since the President will meet today with committee members, I believe we will have an announcement shortly...at least by Friday if not sooner.

Comment

I stand corrected...didn't understand the difference when I read his resume. An overnight of thinking about it and re-listening to the three audios just reinforced my beliefs however that Justin Sell would make the best fit for SDSU. Since the President will meet today with committee members, I believe we will have an announcement shortly...at least by Friday if not sooner.
                      Did he "sell" himself well enough to the committee and the President, that is the question.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                        Did he "sell" himself well enough to the committee and the President, that is the question.
                        IMO Yes. If you have any doubts listen to the audios.

Comment

Based only on the post-interview press conferences, I'd rate them as Sell #1, Dustin #2, Michael #3. Both Sell and Dustin closer towards the top than Michael, who seemed to be a bit less sure of himself, at least in this limited sample.

I'd be OK with either Sell or Dustin. Michael, based on the press conference, would IMHO be a little more of a leap of faith.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            Based only on the post-interview press conferences, I'd rate them as Sell #1, Dustin #2, Michael #3. Both Sell and Dustin closer towards the top than Michael, who seemed to be a bit less sure of himself, at least in this limited sample.

I'd be OK with either Sell or Dustin. Michael, based on the press conference, would IMHO be a little more of a leap of faith.
                            I am with you lock step here Filbert. If those who are the hiring process see it another way, then I will be totally surprised.

Comment

I didn't want to favor any candidate till I heard all three's press conference, and now that I have I think it is kind of a toss up for me between Dustin and Sell. I think Thomas has the capability to be a good AD some day, I just think he isn't quite as experienced as the other two, therefor he sounded a little unsure of himself as previously mentioned.

I did think Dustin had the best press conference, but I think Sell might be more in tune to the culture of SDSU and the kind of university it is. I think for me to really be able to decide between those two, I'd have to hear their ideas on how to market a university to the general public along with potential donors, as I think some of the future challenges our athletic program will face is the growth of our fan base and improving the quality of our facilities, which takes donations.
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

I understand the desire to go outside of the university for candidates, but I still think there are some people at SDSU that have the skillset and capabilities of these three.

Comment

Working...
                                X