X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AD Search Narrowed to 3

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
    Who is wearing this hat now?
    Guessing Patty Hacker, but that's just a guess. Someone with the real answer will let us know I'm sure.

Are all three on campus Monday/Tuesday? Is there any timeline for an announcement? Who's the favorite coming in Jacks#1Fan???
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I put my money on Mr. Illinois. The prez must have had a previous relationship with him.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
        Are all three on campus Monday/Tuesday? Is there any timeline for an announcement? Who's the favorite coming in Jacks#1Fan???
        From talking with several people on the committee, they would like to have the new AD announced before the semester is over in two weeks so he can get familiar with the athletes and coaches before some of them head out of town for the summer.

Comment

Guessing Patty Hacker, but that's just a guess. Someone with the real answer will let us know I'm sure.
          Bernadette Olson is now the Head of the HPER Dept.
          Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 04-27-2009, 07:19 AM. Reason: I misspoke and said Patty Hacker was Head of the Dept.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            This is true...Patty Hacker is the Head of the HPER Dept.
            Actually, I think Bernadette Olson is head of the department. Hacker is teacher education coordinator.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I think JJ is right about the academic head. And since the President has made it very clear to the committee that he will make the final decision...I'd put my money on the Illinois connection. That won't make me real happy as I think that brings in a person with experience in a whole different background who is going to find out the "possible" is a whole lot different out here. Hope I'm wrong.

Comment

I would argue #1 that that would be a good thing. I think we get too stuck in a rut about what can and can't be done rather than saying this needs to be done and going out and doing it. Which is why I preferred not to have an internal candidate hired. I would be disappointed if none of the other three would be heard but I think in the end we need someone with vision to take what was started to the next level regardless of what is "possible out here"
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  Actually, I think Bernadette Olson is head of the department. Hacker is teacher education coordinator.
                  Correct, Bernadette Olson has taken over as the head of the HPER department.

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                    I would argue #1 that that would be a good thing. I think we get too stuck in a rut about what can and can't be done rather than saying this needs to be done and going out and doing it. Which is why I preferred not to have an internal candidate hired. I would be disappointed if none of the other three would be heard but I think in the end we need someone with vision to take what was started to the next level regardless of what is "possible out here"
                    Hard for me to believe you can't have vision and be an SDSU-aware person. If Fred Oien didn't have vision, I don't know who does. I'm not saying we had an in-house candidate who would have been best...although since we had some candidates, I'm disappointed at least one didn't get on the final interview list so we could do some "sideline" judging.

Having said that, I also would be more comfortable with somebody who can appreciate the area (South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska), the level we play at (Summit, MVC Football), and economics (we aren't the Big 10). On that score, I would prefer the candidate from UNI...I'm just hoping he might impress President Chicoine the most when he is here (just wish I was an optimist on this issue). Of course, if the Illini is the right one, I'll do my personal best to help make it work.

Comment

Yes, my bad..you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        I'm not saying we had an in-house candidate who would have been best...although since we had some candidates, I'm disappointed at least one didn't get on the final interview list so we could do some "sideline" judging.
                        Third hand rumblings, but I had heard President Chicoine was looking for someone outside of SDSU and therefore none of the in house candidates were given a strong look. Can't substantiate that statement or even who the in house candidates were or their credentials.
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

We will get a our chance to see all three tomorrow

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Comment

Third hand rumblings, but I had heard President Chicoine was looking for someone outside of SDSU and therefore none of the in house candidates were given a strong look. Can't substantiate that statement or even who the in house candidates were or their credentials.
                            Not sure whether it was because of some edict or not, but it's my understanding that nobody from SDSU applied. I'm with Jacks#1 as far as who appears to be the strongest candidate. The UNI candidate looks, on paper, like the best one to me. The Illinois guy just doesn't have much experience, and his experience is all in a single area of that department, and all in one place. He has gone from academic counselor to assistant AD to associate AD in basically 9 years. I really don't think it's a plus to have experience in only one department. Note that the UNI candidate was at Villanova before and has worked in several areas of athletic administration. I would hate to think that an Illinois pedigree trumps everything else. We're not Illinois, nor will we ever be. We have an awful lot in common with UNI, though.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Not sure whether it was because of some edict or not, but it's my understanding that nobody from SDSU applied. I'm with Jacks#1 as far as who appears to be the strongest candidate. The UNI candidate looks, on paper, like the best one to me. The Illinois guy just doesn't have much experience, and his experience is all in a single area of that department, and all in one place. He has gone from academic counselor to assistant AD to associate AD in basically 9 years. I really don't think it's a plus to have experience in only one department. Note that the UNI candidate was at Villanova before and has worked in several areas of athletic administration. I would hate to think that an Illinois pedigree trumps everything else. We're not Illinois, nor will we ever be. We have an awful lot in common with UNI, though.
                              I had hopes that our President had vision and not tied to Illinois pedigrees and other non-rational choices. I am willing to give President Chicoine a chance here and think that his choice will be a rational one. Its his choice and it affects his legacy. Unless the president came to SDSU with unfinished deals in Illiniois, which I doubt, then I think we can expect an objective choice. I think a lot depends on how each candidate comes across and what they can do for SDSU. I do concurr that the UNI candidate is the most impressive and in the end he could be the choice for our next AD.

If the Illinois candidate is heavy in academics and compliance, that could be a plus especially since we are very new to D1 and there is a temptation to grow to fast. How would you grow too fast? One sure way is for the AD and the compliance staff to look the wrong way when a non-qualifier comes along. Thats the kind of thing SDSU has been very careful about and it has paid off so far.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 04-28-2009, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Our President has tremendous vision. Look at his Strategic Plan. Look at the candidates for the many high profile positions that have been filled or are under consideration. He has not gone out and recruited only Illinois people. Far from it.

Trust the process (a search committee narrowed the choices down to our current three AD candidates) and trust Dr. Chicoine he is top notch.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                                X