Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Search Narrowed to 3

From the Argus: The AD search is narrowed to three candidates:

"The finalists are Kevin Dustin, associate athletics director for development at Utah State University; Thomas Michael, associate athletic director at the University of Illinois; and Justin Sell, senior associate athletic director at the University of Northern Iowa. They have been invited to on-campus interviews April 27-28."

Here's the link to TV's story: LINK

Re: AD Search Narrowed to 3

For some reason I expected to see someone with a doctorate degree of some sort in the mix.

Looks like a decent selection to choose from. The new AD will definately have a steep learning curve ahead.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

One comment on the story and its not even about the candidates. The Argus ought to scrap their forum and disable the comments section.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I would assume Thomas Michael has the leg up since he is from the most distinguished program and it's the same school that President Chicoine came from. It's usually who you know more than what you know, although maybe the other candidates also have a contact in the school.
        He also played BBall from 91-94 at Illinois so he might have a tie to Coach Nagy's father too who I believe was a long time assistant at Illinois.

Kevin Dustin was an assistant coach under Larry Eustachy and seems to have more experience.

Justin Sell is coming from a program (UNI) that is more comparable to SDSU and would probably be more familiar with what SDSU is about.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          One comment on the story and its not even about the candidates. The Argus ought to scrap their forum and disable the comments section.
          Saw your post, JackMD, and went to the Argus site to read the comment...it must have been deleted. I don't want to know what it said.

Good catch.

Comment

I look forward to hearing a lot more about these three candidates. From what is available so far it looks like we have some quality candidates. It did suprise me and is somewhat troubling that none of the candidates have any ties to SDSU nor is there an internal candidate. Hiring an AD from within has served SDSU well over time.

Things have gone very well for SDSU Athletics and I would hate to see things taken in a drastically different direction. Hopefully the new candidate will embrace what makes SDSU a strong and unique institution, bring in some fresh ideas, but not take us in a completely different path.

At the end of the day it is my understanding that the decision rests with Dr. Chicoine. My hope is that he has a good understanding of the history here and he chooses a candidate that will continue heading us down the same path. My fear is that we may be in for some sort of reinvention of the wheel. That being said I have no reason to think Dr. Chicoine won't make a solid decision.

We've got a good thing going! Steady as she goes!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

here are the bio's that i found on each

tom michael
              http://www.athletics.uiuc.edu/academics/staffbios.htm
              justin sell
              http://www.unipanthers.com/genrel/sell_justin00.html
              kevin dustin
              http://www.utahstateaggies.com/genre...n_kevin00.html

Comment

All three look to be good choices. In reading TV article, he mentions Kevin Dustin's connection to former Coach Dave Craigthorpe, who spent maybe 2 years at SDSU a long time ago, but is still giving us good recommendations apparently. I really would not want to be the last word in this choice.

Comment

Terry's article from today is linked below:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...0202/904170322

This will be the first AD that does not have a degree from SDSU since 1965.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                  Last edited by SUPERBUNNY; 04-17-2009, 02:16 PM. Reason: Correction for accuracy. I had stated that the next AD will be the first not hired from within since 1965.
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                    Terry's article from today is linked below:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...0202/904170322

This will be the first AD that does not have a degree from SDSU since 1965.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                    The last nonSDSU grad to serve as AD was Axel Bundgaard, who came and returned to St Olaf College.

Comment

They will all be on campus this coming week right?

Comment

On Monday and Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                          For some reason I expected to see someone with a doctorate degree of some sort in the mix.
                          That's not as important as it once was since this person won't be head of an academic department in addition to AD. Fred was HPER Department Head and AD until last year.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            That's not as important as it once was since this person won't be head of an academic department in addition to AD. Fred was HPER Department Head and AD until last year.
                            To me this change makes a great of sense since you have a director who can now concentrate on athletic administration and not having to worry about academic duties. I really wonder how Fred got this far and how he managed to accompolish what he did wearing both hats. Fred with out a doubt was under a lot of pressure.

I think SDSU is at a point where the separation was a necessary change and I would tend to think that the doctorate requirement might have limited candidates from applying.

I am curious, how is this organized at USD. Does Joel Nielsen have to worry about HPER academic programs?

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              Fred was HPER Department Head.
                              Who is wearing this hat now?

Comment

Working...
                              X