New Mets Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Mets Stadium

What I really miss in professional sports are players who play most or all of their professional career with the same team. I have a real hard time cheering for the guys that play only one or two years in a city or sell themselves out to the highest bidder.
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
      What I really miss in professional sports are players who play most or all of their professional career with the same team. I have a real hard time cheering for the guys that play only one or two years in a city or sell themselves out to the highest bidder.
      Sell themselves out? I'm not going to hate on an athlete who tries to make as much money as they can like 99% of the rest of the world.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
        Sell themselves out? I'm not going to hate on an athlete who tries to make as much money as they can like 99% of the rest of the world.
        I've had this argument many times. 99% of the world and professional athletics are not comparable.

I can find 30 of my colleagues who get offers nearly every day to make hundreds of thousands of dollars more than they do now, yet they choose to serve the people of South Dakota. Yes, they make a very comfortable living but its not about the money. Life is too short to waste time accumulating material things without regard to interpersonal relationships and a sense of community.

Again, I think its different for professional athletes.

I do hope RO's attitude adjusts before he heads out to look for a job. If I interviewed someone who told me they'd leave in a heartbeat for better money I'd show them the door in a big hurry. Fortunately I work with young people every day that have a much better and well-adjusted view on life than our young friend. Some of them are even coyote fans.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          I've had this argument many times. 99% of the world and professional athletics are not comparable.

I can find 30 of my colleagues who get offers nearly every day to make hundreds of thousands of dollars more than they do now, yet they choose to serve the people of South Dakota. Yes, they make a very comfortable living but its not about the money. Life is too short to waste time accumulating material things without regard to interpersonal relationships and a sense of community.

Again, I think its different for professional athletes.

I do hope RO's attitude adjusts before he heads out to look for a job. If I interviewed someone who told me they'd leave in a heartbeat for better money I'd show them the door in a big hurry. Fortunately I work with young people every day that have a much better and well-adjusted view on life than our young friend. Some of them are even coyote fans.
          We live in a capitalist society. And I'm sure you have plenty of colleagues that do stay for less money, but there are still plenty of people out there who leave for more money. Just like there are athletes that stay and give a "hometown discount" and there are athletes that leave and take more money. I don't know how it isn't comparable. They are people, just like you and me, who happen to have a set of skills that can make them a lot and lot of money. And lots of athletes leave town for other reasons than money. I think Detroit could offer a lot of players a ton of money to play football and they'd have hard time with that.

As for me and my attitude, first of all why in the hell would I tell someone who was interviewing me that I would leave in a heartbeat for more money? I'm not stupid. I know how to say what people want to hear. It's how I got a big scholarship from this great institution of higher learning.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
            As for me and my attitude, first of all why in the hell would I tell someone who was interviewing me that I would leave in a heartbeat for more money? I'm not stupid. I know how to say what people want to hear. It's how I got a big scholarship from this great institution of higher learning.
            Exactly the attitude that I see in way too many young people today. Our society has begun to reward people for what they can achieve for themselves and then justify it by calling it "capitalism".

This attitude that you should do what you can to make money and better yourself without regard to others doesn't help. Building extravagant stadiums funded by taxpayers and corporations during times of economic distress and calling it capitalism just doesn't float with me either.

I guess I'm getting old, curmudgeon is the term?

By the way, when I'm interviewing a student for a position or scholarship or a physician for a position at our clinic I'm usually able to figure out the ones who are feeding my what they think I want to hear. Just a little tip for you. Be who you are not something you think people want you to be. The rewards in the end will be much greater than some scholarship or big paycheck. Take it or leave it. (Sorry for the thread drift, great opportunity for RO to learn something here)
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Didn't intend to continue the the thread drift ...

Professional athletes don't have to "apply" for their jobs or go through quite the same hiring process as us common folk do.

I used to help interview job applicants for one of my former employers. Companies are looking for people with solid job histories. In most professions, they're going to shy away from an applicant with a history of job-hopping every year or two. Doesn't matter if it's full or part-time work, either. It's a huge red flag. Why is this person changing jobs all the time? Why spend the time and money hiring and training someone who may leave in, say, a year (or less)? And if an employer is asked for a reference, what are they going to say? "Sorry, he wasn't really here long enough for us to get to know him or find out what kind of an employee he could have been".

Trust me, it's easier than you think to see through the BS some applicants dish out in an interview. HR folks are trained to spot it.

Just my .02 ...
              "You trusted us"

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalHouse83 View Post
                Didn't intend to continue the the thread drift ...

Professional athletes don't have to "apply" for their jobs or go through quite the same hiring process as us common folk do.

I used to help interview job applicants for one of my former employers. Companies are looking for people with solid job histories. In most professions, they're going to shy away from an applicant with a history of job-hopping every year or two. Doesn't matter if it's full or part-time work, either. It's a huge red flag. Why is this person changing jobs all the time? Why spend the time and money hiring and training someone who may leave in, say, a year (or less)? And if an employer is asked for a reference, what are they going to say? "Sorry, he wasn't really here long enough for us to get to know him or find out what kind of an employee he could have been".

Trust me, it's easier than you think to see through the BS some applicants dish out in an interview. HR folks are trained to spot it.

Just my .02 ...
                Actually, the trend is for previous employers to offer no more than a simple confirmation that the previous employee was in fact employed from date X to date Y.

Too much (perceived) litigation risk in going into any detail whatsoever regarding why somebody quit/was fired.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  Actually, the trend is for previous employers to offer no more than a simple confirmation that the previous employee was in fact employed from date X to date Y.

Too much (perceived) litigation risk in going into any detail whatsoever regarding why somebody quit/was fired.
                  Regarding the original thread topic: I believe that something like $1.8 billion for the Mets stadium was public (government) money, and $0.8 billion was private.

Aphorism #1: He who pays the piper calls the tune.

If athletes' salaries (and pro league profits) wind up getting regulated by the government the way bank CEOs and companies are headed, it will be absolutely no surprise to me, personally.

Aphorism #2: A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away from you everything you have. (Which is, if you think about it, a simple restatement of Aphorism #1.)
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Regarding the original thread topic: I believe that something like $1.8 billion for the Mets stadium was public (government) money, and $0.8 billion was private.

Aphorism #1: He who pays the piper calls the tune.

If athletes' salaries (and pro league profits) wind up getting regulated by the government the way bank CEOs and companies are headed, it will be absolutely no surprise to me, personally.

Aphorism #2: A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away from you everything you have. (Which is, if you think about it, a simple restatement of Aphorism #1.)
                    I think the NFL is fine, but the NBA and MLB are in a lot of trouble. The NBA especially. They need to get rid of guaranteed contracts.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, filbert. And I should know that, having spent most of last year on a job search.

Now back to our irregularly scheduled discussion of Citi Field ...
                      "You trusted us"

Comment

Working...
                      X