Student seating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student seating

Ok everyone it time to put on your Athletic Director hat. What are everyone thoughts of the current student arrangement at both Coughlin Alumni Stadium and Frost Arena? I am not suggesting they move the students but I am not convinced we are utilizing out facilities to maximize revenue either. So what are your thoughts? I am definitely looking from the student perspective, season ticket holder’s perspective, general admission seating and corporate seating. I would also like to hear from a current or former student athlete(s) to know how the students affect the game for them. In other words were do you want them or where would you put them?
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: Student seating

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
    Ok everyone it time to put on your Athletic Director hat. What are everyone thoughts of the current student arrangement at both Coughlin Alumni Stadium and Frost Arena? I am not suggesting they move the students but I am not convinced we are utilizing out facilities to maximize revenue either. So what are your thoughts? I am definitely looking from the student perspective, season ticket holder’s perspective, general admission seating and corporate seating. I would also like to hear from a current or former student athlete(s) to know how the students affect the game for them. In other words were do you want them or where would you put them?
    As a season ticket holder, I say leave the students down by the court in Frost Arena, right where they are.

For CAS, I think we should put them behind the visitor's bench, once we renovate the stadium (and put the band in stands right underneath the scoreboard). Just IMHO.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I say leave them at frost. Even though I throughly hate the seats that were put in and the new baskets. I know they old ones were bad and worn out but now, we are farther away from the court and more so when the students stand its aweful for the gen admin sitting behind them too see, even with them sitting its not great. lower the students seats and get them as close to the court as possible would be my idea. Id rather have the hanging baskets and lower seating to have better sight lines. Sitting behind the baskets now is aweful and there are fewer seats close to the court which I think is an aweful idea. I would have perfered a change in the seating to the bleachers above the students by maybe raising them up too give the whole arena a more bowl feel instead of the pit feel it has.

For CAS I say when we get the new stands put up, move the students and the band over too the visitor side either where they are now across from or in the middle. that would be difficult for opposing teams to get use to having a 350 piece band blaring down on you. Plus I feel the best benifit of moving the band across would make more prime seating on the home side and give more fans on the home side a better sound. When the stadium is full I know its hard to hear the band when you are sitting on the far side of the home stands when its packed. If they are across you could hear that ring the bell much better.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        As a season ticket holder, I say leave the students down by the court in Frost Arena, right where they are.

For CAS, I think we should put them behind the visitor's bench, once we renovate the stadium (and put the band in stands right underneath the scoreboard). Just IMHO.
        I agree.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I recall at one point in time SDSU used to put the visiting teams in front of the student section at CAS. It was pretty brutal and I imagine there were lots of well-founded complaints from our opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by Crashola View Post
            I recall at one point in time SDSU used to put the visiting teams in front of the student section at CAS. It was pretty brutal and I imagine there were lots of well-founded complaints from our opponents.
            I'll never forget, "Pork chop, pork chop, greasy, greasy. St. Cloud's water girl is easy, easy."
            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

The department's plan is to raise the south bleachers and put in chair seats there, behind the student sections, so the sight line will allow the students to stand up and not interfere with the view from above. When? $$$$.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                The department's plan is to raise the south bleachers and put in chair seats there, behind the student sections, so the sight line will allow the students to stand up and not interfere with the view from above. When? $$$$.
                Really gonna make a cut into the size of the crowd when that is done. Don't think that is the best idea. Frost was already cut down with the new bleachers. The band needs to be moved.
                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Amen bub! First and foremost the band should be relocated behind the visitors bench, even if its from the endzone to the 30.
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                    Amen bub! First and foremost the band should be relocated behind the visitors bench, even if its from the endzone to the 30.
                    The band would take up the entire bleach side (some years). Right now the band acts as a nice buffer from the crude students and the paying public ...... wait that isn't completely true. The best thing to do would be something like Iowa does. The band is directly behind the goalposts on one endzone and the student section wraps around them. Of course Iowa students show up in numbers much greater than SDSU students.
                    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                    -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                      Really gonna make a cut into the size of the crowd when that is done. Don't think that is the best idea. Frost was already cut down with the new bleachers. The band needs to be moved.
                      I hope there is a day when we don't see one bleacher in Frost. It should be more about maximizing revenue by selling more season tickets in the chairback seating rather than how many people we can squeeze into the bleachers. The new chairbacks on the uppper south side of Frost will help achieve that.

Comment

Frost Arena
                        Could it be better or just as good if we moved the students to the baselines (on both sides)? This way the band, students could be together on one base line while facing the students on the opposite base line, with the cheer leaders on one side and the State Sensations on the other. I think the students (when full) could really feed off each other. Hopefully, the students will try to out do each other in enthusiasm and spirit. I think this seating arrangements also helps the cheer squad(s) get the students involved and into the game. Also during the really big games the students could fill the up upper level seating behind each baseline. Of course, the worst case scenario is that the students do not fill either section. Nor do they get involved in the game or worse stop going to the games all together.

Another advantage could be making the section(s) behind the team benches reserved for corporate sponsors, season ticket holders and walk up purchases. Maybe I am wrong but I think we could sell a lot of reserve seats in these areas, even without adding chair back seats. I think people would be willing to pay a little more for a reserved seat and not have to worry about students standing in front of them.
                        We...ARE...STATE!
                        SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Frost Arena
                          Could it be better or just as good if we moved the students to the baselines (on both sides)? This way the band, students could be together on one base line while facing the students on the opposite base line, with the cheer leaders on one side and the State Sensations on the other. I think the students (when full) could really feed off each other. Hopefully, the students will try to out do each other in enthusiasm and spirit. I think this seating arrangements also helps the cheer squad(s) get the students involved and into the game. Also during the really big games the students could fill the up upper level seating behind each baseline. Of course, the worst case scenario is that the students do not fill either section. Nor do they get involved in the game or worse stop going to the games all together.

Another advantage could be making the section(s) behind the team benches reserved for corporate sponsors, season ticket holders and walk up purchases. Maybe I am wrong but I think we could sell a lot of reserve seats in these areas, even without adding chair back seats. I think people would be willing to pay a little more for a reserved seat and not have to worry about students standing in front of them.
                          This is a good prescription for a lot of empty seats behind the scorer's table and benches, IMHO, except for the very biggest games. I'm still in the camp that says let the student section stay at side-court behind the table and benches.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            This is a good prescription for a lot of empty seats behind the scorer's table and benches, IMHO, except for the very biggest games. I'm still in the camp that says let the student section stay at side-court behind the table and benches.
                            We currently have empty seats now in all sections of the Arena. For whatever reason people are not attending games like they did in the past. Hopefully, with the Men's team improving and Women's team run in the NCAA tournament that will change next season. Somehow we need to make Frost Arena the place to be again on game nights.
                            We...ARE...STATE!
                            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

We currently have empty seats now in all sections of the Arena. For whatever reason people are not attending games like they did in the past. Hopefully, with the Men's team improving and Women's team run in the NCAA tournament that will change next season. Somehow we need to make Frost Arena the place to be again on game nights.
                              This season, we had more fans than 00-01 buy tickets to see Jackrabbit basketball.
                              Men's

00-01—3484
                              01-02—4227
                              02-03—3492
                              03-04—3266
                              04-05—1617
                              05-06—2070
                              06-07—1850
                              07-08—2186
                              08-09—2487

Women's

00-01—1669
                              01-02—2577
                              02-03—2568
                              03-04—2484
                              04-05—1473
                              05-06—1905
                              06-07—2753
                              07-08—2343
                              08-09—2803

Combined

00-01—5153
                              01-02—6069
                              02-03—6060
                              03-04—5750
                              04-05—3090
                              05-06—3975
                              06-07—4603
                              07-08—4529
                              08-09—5290
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                              X