Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will UND be in the Summit?

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    There is a third alternative: receive the permission of the Sioux tribes.
    Right. But I don't think that's likely. And this has become a cause that reaches beyond North Dakota's borders. So even if local tribes somehow are convinced to acquiesce, which I doubt, there would always be a controversy.

In the end, it's up to the State Board of Higher Education to decide.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Who is UTH?

When I was up there Ralph (was still alive) said that if UND changed the name or logo that he would take his arena away. Is this still the case with his family?

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
        Who is UTH?

When I was up there Ralph (was still alive) said that if UND changed the name or logo that he would take his arena away. Is this still the case with his family?
        I believe he posts on Bisonville (and perhaps elsewhere) as "UND Thundering Herd" - hence UTH. I could be wrong, however. Seems to have a generally good attitude about things, IMHO.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'll try to be succinct.

I see no reason to be in a hurry to add either USD or UND to the Summit league. Do we need them for scheduling purposes? Do we need them for attendance numbers? Do we need them to help us host a successful post-season tourney?

While they are in transition and not eligible for post-season play there is no good reason to add them to the league unless there is some benefit from the standpoint of core member status. I don't care to review the details as they apply to that.

So, joining the Summit would be a great boon for USD and UND. Why do we have to even include them in conversations about the current Summit League? Articles about the current tourney should be about current Summit League teams. I couldn't care less about U whatevers aspirations to join our league. I'm looking forward not back. They didn't want any part of DI when they had the choice, no when they don't have any other recourse its suddenly the best idea since the dakotadome and they have every right to act like this was the plan all along. I'm not buying it. You guys go ahead an line up right with them, I stand opposed for now.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I'll try to be succinct.

I see no reason to be in a hurry to add either USD or UND to the Summit league. Do we need them for scheduling purposes? Do we need them for attendance numbers? Do we need them to help us host a successful post-season tourney?

While they are in transition and not eligible for post-season play there is no good reason to add them to the league unless there is some benefit from the standpoint of core member status. I don't care to review the details as they apply to that.

So, joining the Summit would be a great boon for USD and UND. Why do we have to even include them in conversations about the current Summit League? Articles about the current tourney should be about current Summit League teams. I couldn't care less about U whatevers aspirations to join our league. I'm looking forward not back. They didn't want any part of DI when they had the choice, no when they don't have any other recourse its suddenly the best idea since the dakotadome and they have every right to act like this was the plan all along. I'm not buying it. You guys go ahead an line up right with them, I stand opposed for now.
            You do realize the contradiction highlighted above, yes?

Absolutely, USD and UND are riding on SDSU and NDSU's coattails, and only the most partisan Coyote and (nickname) fans would say otherwise, and yes, the spin that "this has been their plan all along" is both disingenuous and transparent to anyone who's been paying attention for the past six years or so.

So what?

If the Summit League's current members think that adding one or both schools would strengthen the conference, I'm OK with that. If they don't, I'm OK with that, too. I like where we (SDSU) are right now. The Summit League office and the Presidents seem to have a plan as to how to go forward. I'm OK with that, too. I'll trust in their decision whichever way they want to go.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I have to be honest, as I sat in the Arena this weekend and looked at the colors of State and NDSU I couldn't help but think of even how much better it would be with UND and USD there. Of course, if that were true we would need a venue much larger than the Arena.

It's not a stretch to imagine a scenario where three to four of the Dakota schools were to make it to the semi's and at least a couple of the women's schools were still alive and played earlier in the day, just what the buzz around the place would be. I don't think it's a stretch to say that there would be close to 10,000 fans taking it in (if it were played somewhere in the Dakotas).

I would like to see USD struggle as much as the next guy. I remember when the move to D1 was announced and how nasty they were about it at times (I remember Chad Lavin being especially nasty about it a couple times). But I also understand that it would benefit the conference greatly and would benefit SDSU as well. I guess as I get older I'm more willing to humble myself for the good of the situation and tell my silly pride to get in the backseat.

(Sorry for the long post)

Comment

Why is it everytime I read a post by you it sound's exactly like MNPLSBison????????

Comment

Can you imagine if PETA got the NCAA to listen and made schools change their school mascots from animals to something else? Would all the SDSU alums want to fight the NCAA to stop SDSU from no longer being know as the Jackrabbits? Heck yeah. I can see how the school(and alums) doesn't want to change it's mascot and I can see why the Native Americans want them to change. UND won't be in a conference until that get the mascot battle settled. I do think it will be the Summit League and USD will join at the same time(and I don't think it will be for 2 years). I don't see "us" kicking SUU out of the league.

Am I interested in seeing the old rivalry with USD? Not really. Not until USD gets an actual basketball arena. And no playing in the high school gym.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    Right. But I don't think that's likely. And this has become a cause that reaches beyond North Dakota's borders. So even if local tribes somehow are convinced to acquiesce, which I doubt, there would always be a controversy.

In the end, it's up to the State Board of Higher Education to decide.
                    There is that: North Dakota has only two of the over ten Sioux tribes.

Why are they having problems getting representatives of the Sioux to sit on the board?

My guess: It's because they've included representatives of the Englestad Family Foundation (which actually OWNS the Englestad facilities on the UND campus).

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                      Can you imagine if PETA got the NCAA to listen and made schools change their school mascots from animals to something else? Would all the SDSU alums want to fight the NCAA to stop SDSU from no longer being know as the Jackrabbits? Heck yeah. I can see how the school(and alums) doesn't want to change it's mascot and I can see why the Native Americans want them to change. UND won't be in a conference until that get the mascot battle settled. I do think it will be the Summit League and USD will join at the same time(and I don't think it will be for 2 years). I don't see "us" kicking SUU out of the league.

Am I interested in seeing the old rivalry with USD? Not really. Not until USD gets an actual basketball arena. And no playing in the high school gym.
                      The problem at UND is the dead nazi.

And the fact that the administration did not stand up to him four years ago, and still kowtows to his foundation.

Comment

The problem at UND is the dead nazi.
                        Let's leave that one alone, OK?
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          Let's leave that one alone, OK?
                          Okay, the dead guy who had a Nazi costume party, owned a room full of Nazi memorabilia and had himself painted in a Nazi uniform.

Is that better?

I have nothing against UND as UND. However, I find their willingness to bow and scrape before Englestad to be censurable, and the man himself--well, none of the facts listed above can be disputed.

Comment

Okay, the dead guy who had a Nazi costume party, owned a room full of Nazi memorabilia and had himself painted in a Nazi uniform.
                            LOL

Could've been worse....He could've been a BYU fan.

YES, I despise them THAT much!

Comment

Is that better?

I have nothing against UND as UND. However, I find their willingness to bow and scrape before Englestad to be censurable, and the man himself--well, none of the facts listed above can be disputed.
                              Well in Ralph's defense he was very proud of his Norwegian hertiage as well as other things. One of the generous things he did underwrite was the dismantling in ND and resembling in Norway of a immigrant Lutheran Church located somewhere between GF and Fargo. This took money do something like this and he paid for it all. This museum in Norway is very gratiful for his financial help.

I do agree with Zoopra in that UND did let Ralph be the tail that wagged the dog, and in this case UND is the dog. I think when one person donates a great deal of money, they often do expect things in return. So far so good with Sanford in SF, but there could be a few surprises down the road. Its a slippery slope with large donors.

Had Ralph been in the land of his ancestors during 1940-1945, he might not have wasted his hard earned money collectiing certain memorbalia.

Comment

[quote]I don't see "us" kicking SUU out of the league.[quote]

It was a joke. Geographically they just don't fit. Well, let's be honest, geographically the confernce is a mess but SUU is the only school really out there all by themselves. If we were to split the conference 6 and 6 at least the Dakota schools (when and if UND and USD are added) and UMKC are all bus rides. If SUU was replaced with another regional school close to the Dakotas and UMKC, it would be about perfect....for the six of us at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X