Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Player Ever

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

I think picking players for all time is at best a hard task because the game has changed so much. Cleve Abbott was a great Center before WWI, and he played both ways and was also a great linebacker. I dont think most athletes today would be able to do this because, the game is more specialized and probably more demanding physically.
    Nidaros:

It's tough to argue, you are the only poster on here that ever saw Cleve play!!
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      Boden played offensive tackle.

Ron Meyer, qb in mid-60s, was awfully, awfully good, believe played pro ball for a little bit.... Steelers, maybe.
      I fixed the error. Went with Tetzlaff at DT.

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
        I think you all are forgetting Kevin Tetzlaff was a force to be reckoned with as a D-lineman.

Also gotta give love to Parker Douglass as a kicker. Vinny is a great pro but I'd bet Stig never tried a 65 yard field goal when Vinny kicked
        Well no because Stig wasn't the coach when Vinatieri was there haha. But you are correct as far as a college kicker goes I believe Parker Douglas was better. Vinny was helped by his ability to both kick and punt in getting a shot at the pros.

Comment

In defense of some of the old-timers: Boden was a first-round NFL draft choice (in the 1970s?). I don't think the Jacks have had that high a draft before or since. Maybe Retzlaff, who came along earlier, then starred for the Eagles and, I think, was an NFL players union rep. Rasmussen, who had a long career with the Lions, might have been a college punter, too. During his college years, Vinatieri might have been better known as top-notch punter. Heiden played TE the same time Kleinsasser was playing for UND, and both of those guys are still in the NFL. Langar played center for the 17-0 Dolphins before being elected to the HOF. Don't know what position he played as a Jack.
          Question: How about Maffet (spelling?) at QB? He might deserve consideration. Regardless, Berry has got to stack up favorably with with any Jack QB of the past.
          This space for lease.

Comment

I have to give some love to the players we've had the last couple years.

QB - Berry (his comeback from the concussion to lead us to victory in NDSU will be the stuff of legends)

RB - Minnet has been stellar so far and has two years left.

WR - I'd put Jaron up there with Josh Davis although Josh did alot of the extra stuff like block kicks, but Jaron flat out could take over games. Cal Poly comes to mind.

OL - Mitch Erickson

DE - Danny Batten - This guy has been puttin up numbers since he started as a true freshman and I expect big things for him in his senior year.

LB - Chris Coauette was solid

S - Scott Connot was also very good

I've really only been watching Jacks football for the past 8 years or so but we've had some good ones during that time

Comment

Jacked Up brought up some oldies but goodies. Boden was, I believe, the only player from the NCC to ever be drafted in the first round. He never lived up to his promise. Retzlaff, I think, became the President of the Eagles. Retzlaff (now I might have this wrong) got in on the early stages of NFL films and worked with Steve Sabo.

Comment

Vinny was a much better punter in college than place kicker. He had a huge leg, but was wildly inconsistant. I remember watching him bang a few extra points/shorter field goals off the uprights and then nail a 50 yarder. I'm not sure if he ever got the distinction of being an all-american punter, but he came up one attempt short of making the list one year. I'd have to go with Parker as a place kicker and Adam as a punter based on college experience.

I like Doug Miller at LB. He seemed like a man amongst boys when he played. He was also fun to watch during intramural games in the barn. He was about twice the size of the rest of the crowd and had a verticle leap that was unreal.

There seems to be a lot of good linemen to pick from, but the only one I can think of from my time at State is Timmerman. I didn't really pay attention to how he played, but he did have one of the largest melons I've ever seen.
                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                  Nidaros:

It's tough to argue, you are the only poster on here that ever saw Cleve play!!
                  No in fact, I had to do some research. Something that you know nothing about.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    In defense of some of the old-timers: Boden was a first-round NFL draft choice (in the 1970s?). I don't think the Jacks have had that high a draft before or since. Maybe Retzlaff, who came along earlier, then starred for the Eagles and, I think, was an NFL players union rep. Rasmussen, who had a long career with the Lions, might have been a college punter, too. During his college years, Vinatieri might have been better known as top-notch punter. Heiden played TE the same time Kleinsasser was playing for UND, and both of those guys are still in the NFL. Langar played center for the 17-0 Dolphins before being elected to the HOF. Don't know what position he played as a Jack.
                    Question: How about Maffet (spelling?) at QB? He might deserve consideration. Regardless, Berry has got to stack up favorably with with any Jack QB of the past.
                    Rasmussen was never a punter that I am aware of. John Stone from Hendricks Minnesota set some records with FG's on the 62 team, so we did not need Rasmussent to punt. Also I think he was a defensive back in the NFL. Also what we know now as special teams started about the time John Stone was kicking field goals. I think Ralph Ginn started to see the value of a FG, which was a real rarity in the 1950's as I recall.

Gary was a very QB, and also a good football coach at Brookings High School.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 02-16-2009, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Ok oldtimers, I need help on this one. Wasn't there a player in the mid-70's that was the offensive left tackle that went to and played for the New York Giants. For some reason the name Brad Miller comes to mind, but that probably isn't correct.

Anyway, I can personally tell you, he was very good. Maybe his last season was '76 or so? Also, the QB back then was Gary Moffit. He was an excellent option quarterback. He came to SDSU from Des Moines, Iowa I think. Those are the two from the 70's I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                        Ok oldtimers, I need help on this one. Wasn't there a player in the mid-70's that was the offensive left tackle that went to and played for the New York Giants. For some reason the name Brad Miller comes to mind, but that probably isn't correct.

Anyway, I can personally tell you, he was very good. Maybe his last season was '76 or so? Also, the QB back then was Gary Moffit. He was an excellent option quarterback. He came to SDSU from Des Moines, Iowa I think. Those are the two from the 70's I remember.
                        You might be thinking of Bill Mathews who went on to play a few years with New England Patriots and a couple other franchises. I never got a chance to see either Maffett or Mathews play. Lived away from the Dakotas when they were playing but went a couple of times to watch SDSU play Western Illinois in MaComb. Maffett may have been on one of those teams.

Comment

Lynn Boden is the only one that I can think of that would have been drafted in that era. I will have to check with 76Rabbit, that would be when he was playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                            Lynn Boden is the only one that I can think of that would have been drafted in that era. I will have to check with 76Rabbit, that would be when he was playing.
                            If it was him, then I cast my vote for him. He was outstanding.

Comment

If it was him, then I cast my vote for him. He was outstanding.
                              He was drafted by Detroit, though...then traded to the Bears later in his career.

Comment

I googled Lynn Boden, and it said he was drafted by the Lions in 1975. Born in '53, so that means his last season was '74. The guy I am thinking of was the offensive left tackle, and he would have played in '76 for sure, the year the game was tied down in Vermillion with no playoff.

I'm sure Boden was excellent, a 10 year NFL career says so. I am just not familiar with him, that's all.

It's fun to think of those days again.

Comment

Working...
                                X