Legislation Requiring SDSU to play USD getting filed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Legislation Requiring SDSU to play USD getting filed

I'd like to try to give the Regents the benefit of the doubt here. The D1 thing was entirely new when they set the policy on using fees to fund athletics. To its credit, the administration at SDSU made it work without that option. I know it has been very difficult. In this case, USD may be able to help SDSU make the argument that the policy is short-sighted. The Regents have done a lot of things right in the last few years, from my perspective. Have they always done what I would want? No. But they have been very good advocates in the Legislature for the Regental institutions. I think if a strong case was made to the Regents, perhaps with SDSU and USD joining forces to make it, there is certainly a chance that the no fees policy could be adjusted.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

One area I have heard of USD and SDSU joining forces deals with long term contracts for coaches and getting rid of the (insane) year to year contracts.

Also, I really don't understand why so many of you got upset over rumored legislation. What is the big deal? There is no reason the two D1 schools in the state shouldn't play each other. I think it is crazy if they don't. I don't agree with laws about it, however. And really, I would be a little worried if the legislature can't handle this bill along with the other affairs of the state. I think they are talented enough people there to walk and chew gum at the same time. Heck, it's probably a godsend they spend time on such uniportant legislation. I'd rather not let a bunch of politicians "fix" the economy, they'll only make it worse. The best thing they can do is nothing and let the people work it out.

Comment

I was in Pierre today, and heard no rumblings of the bills..... Everybody there is mad about something and today was no difference.... Democrats are mad at republicans because every committee hearing that had democrat support went down party line.... republicans are mad because democrats won't ok there budget.... I don't see this happening just my view.....

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
          Also, I really don't understand why so many of you got upset over rumored legislation. What is the big deal? There is no reason the two D1 schools in the state shouldn't play each other. I think it is crazy if they don't. I don't agree with laws about it, however....
          We can agree on the last point of the quoted material. Our legislature should not be scheduling football games when we have such serious problems. Even in good times, our legislature should not be scheduling football game. I will be very upset if that legislation progresses past the stage of just being an idea open for dicussion.

Comment

Saw a story that rumblings have started in Pierre (hallway talk) about the possibility of closing down a public university. A legislator from the Aberdeen area said he thought Northern was safe and if one did get closed down it would probably be Dakota State. Shades of the 1970s all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
              Saw a story that rumblings have started in Pierre (hallway talk) about the possibility of closing down a public university. A legislator from the Aberdeen area said he thought Northern was safe and if one did get closed down it would probably be Dakota State. Shades of the 1970s all over again.
              I don't know anything about what's going on in Pierre, but the university with the poorest long-term prospects is NSU. It has lost about 1/3 of its students in the last 10 years. Historically, Northern drew from those northern tier counties with places like Mobridge as key feeders to the university. Mobridge has like 10 kids in kindergarten this year. The long-term prospects for NSU are not good.

That said, I don't think there is a chance in the world that a university gets closed any time soon.

The federal stimulus bill in the Senate includes $80 billion that will go to states for K-12 and higher education and about that same amount to states for fiscal relief. South Dakota's budget deficit is going to get covered and then some by whatever stimulus bill comes out.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                There will always be "talk" of closing one down.... the problem is when they decide which one.....

Comment

Working...
                X