Legislation Requiring SDSU to play USD getting filed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Legislation Requiring SDSU to play USD getting filed

If the truth is to be told, I went tilt when I saw HoboD's post on legislation being circulated to force games between USD and SDSU. Yeah, I talk about being calm etc. but I fired off some e-mails to friends in the legislature including Scott H. I was ticked.

So, please do use sarcasm, laughter and derision...it may help those of us who have to live with what this legislature does, have a better attitude.

Added later: A thread under football had a link to an Argus story about football scheduling. It noted that there were still some openings for scheduling an FCS game in 2011, 2012 etc. We all know it's inevitable that SDSU and USD meet on the gridiron. I've said before my preference is the two schools remain in different conferences (all sports, not just football) but I recognize eventually they'll square off again. I won't be surprised if one of those open spots is filled with a USD game at Coughlin. The one good thing that would come out of such an announcement would be some legislators may have to actually face real issues.
    Last edited by JackJD; 01-28-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

I think what bothers me most about this is these guys should be doing more important things with their time. Our economy right now is in shambles. People all over the US are being laid off. My company laid off 29 people last week which was absolutely no fun for anyone involved including myself. Thankfully, I was not one of them.

These individuals should be concentrating on helping to turn around our economy and creating jobs not how to force two D-1 schools to play each other in football and basketball. I believe Governor Rounds said in his State of the State address that the legislature was going to have to make some very tough decisions on the state's budget which including eliminating some positions.

It's a joke and really pisses me off. It doesn't matter if he is just trying to get a rise out of people or trying to gauge interest on the topic, there are much more important things in life than sporting events.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Actually, shouldn't the legislature mandate that all state universities in South Dakota be Division I?
        This reminded me of when Sens. Frank Kloucek and Clarence Kooistra and Tim Begalka from Clear Lake introduced a resolution opposing SDSU's move to Division I in 2003. The text is still available at the Legislative Research Council's website. I gotta say, I chuckled a little when I read through it again.

http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2003/bills/SCR7p.htm

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyjackrabbit View Post
          This reminded me of when Sens. Frank Kloucek and Clarence Kooistra and Tim Begalka from Clear Lake introduced a resolution opposing SDSU's move to Division I in 2003. The text is still available at the Legislative Research Council's website. I gotta say, I chuckled a little when I read through it again.

That should be a sticky post. I remember corresponding with Frank when this resolution was first made public, I think Nidaros brought it to our attention. They were certain the move to DI was going to be a huge mistake and that those urging the move had only their own interests in mind. I agree, chuckling did occur.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Good Lord, that is a ridiculous piece of legislation. Academics suffering? No room for SD athletes? Man these guys were, putting it mildly, shortsighted.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Many rep points to you for posting this nonsense! I've never read the actual legislative bill, only had heard about it. So I'm grateful you took the time to find it!

Talk about putting the conservative mentality of some South Dakotans on paper, this takes the cake!

Comment

As I posted yesterday, I have settled down after ready JJ's post about how the legislation works. I had forgotten about the piece of legislation from last year. At the time I was pretty worked up, but after looking at it again, it is just plain stupid. Note to legislatures, go solve some real problems.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  That should be a sticky post. I remember corresponding with Frank when this resolution was first made public, I think Nidaros brought it to our attention. They were certain the move to DI was going to be a huge mistake and that those urging the move had only their own interests in mind. I agree, chuckling did occur.
                  I wondering why Heidepreim is sponoring this bill and not Frank Kloucheck. Okay Joeboe22, you talk to people across the state why is your boy wonder from Scotland not involved in the bill?

Comment

Senator Heidepreim is a former student body president at USD. He himself doesn't care much for athletics. He does care to please his constituents as he would like to be governor. Many USD alumni live in Sioux Falls. They know they used to share the spotlight whenever SDSU and USD played in an athletic event. But the light, for the most part, hasn't shined in Vermillion for over five years. They want their light back.

So, Heidepreim's bill is basically more about wattage than winning.

Comment

huh? I talked to some people in Pierre and they said that this is all rumor....

thats all I have.... just because they are floating a bill doesn't mean its going to happen, either....

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        I wondering why Heidepreim is sponoring this bill and not Frank Kloucheck. Okay Joeboe22, you talk to people across the state why is your boy wonder from Scotland not involved in the bill?
                        just because there is a 50-50 shot I'll be running for his seat in 2 years doesn't mean hes my boy wonder....

I think people are right with it just being a way to garner political capital, not to actually force any playing..... Its not like its going to happen guys.... You people in Brookings really have to understand how politics work in Pierre.... Here is what will happen if this bill gets submitted which i really have my doubts..... It will go to committee where an AD from SDSU will be like unless you want to give us so much money because we will have to loose out on money games and good contracts if you enforce this we can not support this bill.... Then the committee will say something like though we believe that the schools should play each other we understand that there is a need to do so but not at this time.... It will go to a vote it'll get shut down and then the people behind it can say we would like it if they would play against each other....

If people were serious about this they'd get it on the ballot for the whole state to decide...

calm down, don't go crazy....

Comment

I believe next Tuesday is the last day to submit a bill also, so if it isn't in by then..

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            just because there is a 50-50 shot I'll be running for his seat in 2 years doesn't mean hes my boy wonder....

I think people are right with it just being a way to garner political capital, not to actually force any playing..... Its not like its going to happen guys.... You people in Brookings really have to understand how politics work in Pierre.... Here is what will happen if this bill gets submitted which i really have my doubts..... It will go to committee where an AD from SDSU will be like unless you want to give us so much money because we will have to loose out on money games and good contracts if you enforce this we can not support this bill.... Then the committee will say something like though we believe that the schools should play each other we understand that there is a need to do so but not at this time.... It will go to a vote it'll get shut down and then the people behind it can say we would like it if they would play against each other....

If people were serious about this they'd get it on the ballot for the whole state to decide...

calm down, don't go crazy....
                            Oh Joe I am calm, I enjoy Frank, what a guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                              Senator Heidepreim is a former student body president at USD. He himself doesn't care much for athletics. He does care to please his constituents as he would like to be governor. Many USD alumni live in Sioux Falls. They know they used to share the spotlight whenever SDSU and USD played in an athletic event. But the light, for the most part, hasn't shined in Vermillion for over five years. They want their light back.

So, Heidepreim's bill is basically more about wattage than winning.
                              I believe Heidepreim also switched parties and he seems to be a person that can get elected on both sides of the aisle. The wattage comment is good and yep thats maybe be what it is all about for USD. For a state legislator, Heidepreim seems to have the ability to have the funds needed to do a great deal of TV ads and other. It seems in my time, most state legislators running the first time and for re-elections might have a few road and yard signs and few boxes of calling cards and that was all they spent in terms of getting their message out. Heidepreim spent a great deal this year, and maybe its more than just getting re-elected, but dreams of state mansion are end goal here.

Comment

OK... I've met Heidipreim and he is a great guy. He was the Speaker Pro Tempe at the age of 28, moved to Sioux Falls and became a democrat.... Hes got the money to run, and could make a tough race for which ever republican gets the nod. I don't know what type of a bill he is circulating, I have doubts to say what type of a bill it really is, and until it is submitted its hard to speculate. I think what most people in South Dakota want to know why they can't play each other and that is all what a bill in Pierre is. It goes to committee and the pro's and con's are spoken and then the committee makes a recommendation on the bill.

I think it may be a good thing to be submitted, many people in South Dakota have a feeling that they spend thousands to go to California, and all over the country while they can't play the team 2 hours away from them.... I think if it went to committee and people with knowledge of the situation explained that it would be hard with conference games, and money games to make it work and if it ever would work the teams wouldn't be against playing each other on a year to year bases I think it would resolve the feelings many south dakotans have.

Comment

Working...
                                X