Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Legislation Requiring SDSU to play USD getting filed

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Sometimes during the session, bills that won't go anywhere are circulated just to make a point. This one hasn't even been introduced. Even if it's introduced, there's a good chance it'll go nowhere. One thing I learned covering the Legislature is not to get too worked up over anything until it's farther along in the process. It's better to wait and see what happens, keep your powder dry, and if the time comes where alumni and fan input is needed, deliver that input in a dispassionate and orderly (but overwhelming) way.

It's way too soon to let this thing get under your skin.
    Just got home from work and reading the forum and saw this. Was getting real pissed off till I read your post, JJ. Thanks for keeping this in perspective.

Comment

Sometimes during the session, bills that won't go anywhere are circulated just to make a point. This one hasn't even been introduced. Even if it's introduced, there's a good chance it'll go nowhere. One thing I learned covering the Legislature is not to get too worked up over anything until it's farther along in the process. It's better to wait and see what happens, keep your powder dry, and if the time comes where alumni and fan input is needed, deliver that input in a dispassionate and orderly (but overwhelming) way.

I agree JJ about the way to respond. I worked for one of our elected officials in DC and the type of response is key to getting a thoughtful reply or to be taken seriously. Mass targeted constituent mail can have a big effect. That still doesn't mean that this doesn't bother me, because it does. Its not about how far along it is in the process, I understand that, it is the principle of the matter involved. As I previously stated, I will wait and see how the legislation reads before jumping to any conclusions. It might be a well written piece of legislation encouraging scheduling to resume as soon as it works for both schools. I doubt that's what it will say, but you never know.

Edit: filbert, I support your basketball idea. In fact, some of my old roommates and I discussed this very idea over Christmas break. It would be a great thing I think.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Good advice here.

I'm not sure anybody in a position to influence the decision has said anything definitive about SDSU and USD playing or not playing again. My own gut feeling is that basketball will resume as early as next season, definitely within the next three years. Football is subject to schedule openings, and isn't likely to resume for another three to five years. That's my own personal feeling, based on nothing but my own observation of where things are at.

Legislation at this point is not only inappropriate but unnecessary and premature, IMHO.

I'm still a big advocate for my favorite basketball solution--an SDSU-USD basketball event in Sioux Falls, associated with a D-I tournament (maybe a combined men's-women's D-I tournament) over the Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday periods. Anybody in the Sioux Empire willing to run with this to the SF city fathers?
        That would be great. Some kind of Dakota Holiday bash or MVC/Summit Showdown that could possibly have NDSU/UND/SDSU/USD and something like Drake/UNI/Creighton/Missouri State. Play it out to 8 places so each team gets 3 games and have games rotate between Sioux Falls/Fargo/Omaha/Cedar Falls/etc. with men at Summit site and women at MVC site on alternating years.

Dakota schools may have to get RPI's up a bit before MVC schools would be up for it, but would be a great holiday tournament to get fans interested. I'd think NDSU/SDSU's affiliation with MVFC schools could help facilitate something happening.

Comment

Even the mention of this hilariously crappy idea makes me want to put an electric drill to the side of my head and hit the go button.

And its electric too, so there's no chance the battery will be dead.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
            Even the mention of this hilariously crappy idea makes me want to put an electric drill to the side of my head and hit the go button.

And its electric too, so there's no chance the battery will be dead.
            Make sure you use a small enough bit to start pilot hole, I suggest 3/16".
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Great advice JJ - I wish you had posted before I wrote my letter
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

I agree with JJ to an extent. Trial balloons can be brought down for a number of reasons, no support from other legislators and opposition from the public are just two of them. A thoughtful letter expressing concerns does no harm. This is a bad idea for USD as well as SDSU. Currently it may help USD more than SDSU, but at some point in the future it may be reversed. It also sets a precedent that other schools are going to look at. If SDSU is going to ever pay a guarantee to a D2 school, why shouldn't NSU get that money. This puts the administration of each school in the position of not doing what they believe is in the best interest of the student athletes inregards to competition and potential post season possibilities. It subjugates the student athletes interest in favor of the fan, and that should not be the role of any university mandate.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                  If SDSU is going to ever pay a guarantee to a D2 school, why shouldn't NSU get that money. This puts the administration of each school in the position of not doing what they believe is in the best interest of the student athletes inregards to competition and potential post season possibilities. It subjugates the student athletes interest in favor of the fan, and that should not be the role of any university mandate.
                  If this proposal becomes a bill what we need is for some pro-SDSU legislators to amend the bill requiring USD to play NSU on an annual basis, that would kill it for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 90Jackrabbit View Post
                    If this proposal becomes a bill what we need is for some pro-SDSU legislators to amend the bill requiring USD to play NSU on an annual basis, that would kill it for sure.
                    I think this a delightful idea, but should be expanded to require both SDSU and USD to play all of the other state schools every year. Throw in Augie, USF, DWU, and Mt. Marty, too.

Oh, and add an amendment to mandate that Sioux Falls State field a D-I team within the next five years.

Actually, shouldn't the legislature mandate that all state universities in South Dakota be Division I? This makes as much sense as the legislature setting the athletic schedules for the schools.

Heck, there's really no reason why state schools should ever leave the state of South Dakota. After all, we know that they really can't compete with "real" Division I schools, and with the economy the way it is, they really should cut down on the out-of-state travel anyway. Right?

(Oh, this isn't a smack thread. Sorry.)
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      Oh, and add an amendment to mandate that Sioux Falls State field a D-I team within the next five years.
                      I like it. The Sioux Falls State University Fighting Non-Traditionals.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It doesn't suprise me for a second that Heidpriem would introduce a bill like this.

This would be the worst possible way to fire things back up between two longtime enemies. Take two wild animals and lock them in a cage? That wouldn't be pretty. This thing will work itself out and more than likely be taken care of due to conference affiliation anyway.

I try to avoid making blanket statements about USD Law grads but this one makes it tough. The comment above about this not being beneficial for one of the schools down the road is entirely correct. There are many scenarios where that would be the case.

The best thing is for USD to make it through transition and then get things put on the schedule.

Personally, I don't care if I ever see us play USD but that probably isn't realistic!

If this bill would go through it would be hilarious if SDSU's very own Governor Rounds vetoed it. That would be the ultimate USD smack!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                          Personally, I don't care if I ever see us play USD but that probably isn't realistic!

If this bill would go through it would be hilarious if SDSU's very own Governor Rounds vetoed it. That would be the ultimate USD smack!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                          I completely agree!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                            (1) It doesn't suprise me for a second that Heidpriem would introduce a bill like this.

(2) This would be the worst possible way to fire things back up between two longtime enemies. Take two wild animals and lock them in a cage? That wouldn't be pretty. This thing will work itself out and more than likely be taken care of due to conference affiliation anyway.

(3) I try to avoid making blanket statements about USD Law grads but this one makes it tough. The comment above about this not being beneficial for one of the schools down the road is entirely correct. There are many scenarios where that would be the case.

(4) The best thing is for USD to make it through transition and then get things put on the schedule.
                            On your point 1: It does surprise me. I've known Scott for many years and I think this is out of character. Yesterday I wrote to Scott on this subject.

Your point 2: I agree.

Your point 3: HoboD broke the story on this message board...HoboD and I went through SDSU at the same time and were law-school classmates at USD. Re-read your first comment questioning the wisdom of making blanket statements about USD law grads. There are many of us who have SDSU degrees too. Please keep trying to avoid making blanket statements about USD law grads.

Your point 4: I agree.

Have a few of you forgotten that the one legislative attempt to stop SDSU from going DI a few years ago was sponsored and vigorously promoted by an SDSU grad serving in the State Senate? No one from USD was openly involved in that effort (and I do not mean to suggest USD affiliates were involved behind the scene--I do not know).

JimmyJack had some good words in an early post on this thread. Let's see what happens. Lots of legislation gets proposed for all kinds of goofy reasons. That's the #1 irritant to me when I watch the legislature in action. If such a bill starts to get legs, then it will have to be met with calm, rational opposition and killed.

Comment

Worth repeating:

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                . . . If such a bill starts to get legs, then it will have to be met with calm, rational opposition and killed.
                                Aw, come on . . . can't those of us who are now-out-of-state State grads use sarcasm, laughter and derision, since we can't actually vote against the legislative yahoos proposing such foolishness?
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X