Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Summit League Tourney

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
    Cha-ching. That's the key, it has to be improved by next year. SDSU is the "home team" here and our notoriously unanimated crowd needs something to juice them up. Not enough people are drinking the $9 beers at the arena.

Jimmy Jack is right also. They are very, very good musicians. I've heard some awful notes come out of a lot of the bands in the last few days and the SDSU band is always very crisp when it comes to that. I know the spring break thing is hurting also. Hopefully it won't be a conflict next year.

I don't know if it's the bigger brass, but the Oakland band has always got some good umph out of it. The SDSU band needs that.
    Wow. Where are you finding the $9 beers? Those must be the 42-ouncers.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Does Tyler get to broadcast this championship game on the SDSU broadcast network, or do we fans have to tolerate the ESPNU broadcast team?

Comment

Pep bands:

SDSU, as you may have noticed, has no banners in Frost. None. Not even for the two Frost sport specific national championships.

I would imagine the institutional culture that has kept championship frippery out of Frost has kept the pep band from doing group cheers. Probably also the reason why, unlike Oakland, SDSU's pep band is at the SDSU end of the court.

----

I was impressed with Oakland's rendition of "Crazy Train", ORU's rendition of Republica's "Let's Go" (best song I heard all weekend by far and away), and I hate to say no particular song by NDSU sticks in my mind--IUPUI's pep band seems similarly anonymous, except that it's so old-school that they didn't have a bass player.

I was impressed that Oakland tried to do "You Can Call me Al", but they really really couldn't do the melody (Paul Simon's singing in that song would be extremely hard to convert to horn), and they didn't do the really slick bass bridge at the end of it.

SDSU does pretty well at "25 or 6 to 4", I thought they did that one better than Oakland's band. They do pretty well at "Cat Scratch Fever" and "Sir Duke." "Jumpin' Jack Flash" should be scratched, though, I've never liked how they played that.....

I'm not enough of a connoisseur to pass judge on who did "Devil With a Blue Dress" best.

Comment

Commercials:

NDSU = commercial for BP. Slick, yes, but it might as well be a commercial for a multinational conglomerate.

OU = great production quality, but the slogan, "You can afford this"? YIKES!

SUU = shot with a cell phone.

IUPUI = nicely produced, but so anonymous that I can't remember a thing about it---except that there were some nice shots of Indy.

ORU = weird. I think. Didn't it have smiley faces in it?

SDSU = Still think it's kind of an odd thing to tacitly acknowledge the great South Dakota brain drain. Opening shots of the two commercials were from Montana and the Hudson Bay region.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            SDSU = Still think it's kind of an odd thing to tacitly acknowledge the great South Dakota brain drain. Opening shots of the two commercials were from Montana and the Hudson Bay region.
            It's a student-recruitment ad, and that slogan has been very effective for that purpose. The real problem is that we need an institutional branding slogan (entirely different from student recruitment) but we don't have one. What role does SDSU play inside South Dakota and the region? President Chicoine has outlined our role as an economic development engine for the state and region, but we don't promote that identity in our advertising.

Missed public relations opportunity #3,597 at SDSU. We are horrible at telling our own story.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

First reaction from me - laughter.

Second reaction - "was that a joke?"

Comment

Commercials:

I thought OU's slogan was a joke too...like one of those SNL commercials you see that's all serious and then throws out the zinger right at the end.

And I've never really got the whole "acknowledging brain drain" stuff even though I have heard it many times. To me "anywhere" in the ads means more like CEO, Lead Researcher, Team MVP, Top Student, Govenor, etc. than it does Omaha, Seattle, Alaska, L.A., NYC, or Chicago. I think the captions they inlcude with the ads tells you that as you don't ever see a location for the job, buy you always see the title of the alum.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                  And I've never really got the whole "acknowledging brain drain" stuff even though I have heard it many times. To me "anywhere" in the ads means more like CEO, Lead Researcher, Team MVP, Top Student, Govenor, etc. than it does Omaha, Seattle, Alaska, L.A., NYC, or Chicago. I think the captions they inlcude with the ads tells you that as you don't ever see a location for the job, buy you always see the title of the alum.
                  I have always interpreted the slogan this way as well. It isn't meant to acknowledge anything except the fact that the faculty, your peers and the alumni at SDSU will help you achieve whatever it is you wish to achieve during your time at SDSU and hopefully during a successful career after.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Have they thought about making it so Saturday all the womens first round games are played and Sunday all of the mens first round games are played and then Monday the women in the afternoon/men at night and so on?

I just think that you could get more attendence because first of all you give the women a night cap, second of all, you make it so everybody either plays the next day or has a day off.... I also thought that there are some people who like mens basketball and would show up all day and some people who like womens basketball and would show up all day....

As far as the tournament, I wish they could of figured something out for a student body section or something....

As far as spring break, I'm fine with it but I still think that it would help if the students were still on campus at the time, I think the last thing a lot of them want to do is go to a basketball game over spring break, even if they are around....

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                      I think the captions they inlcude with the ads tells you that as you don't ever see a location for the job, buy you always see the title of the alum.
                      How do you think I found out the clip with reindeer in it was near the Hudson Bay? It says so in the caption.

Besides, the shot of the Rockies plainly is NOT in South Dakota.........

I don't think the commercials are bad, mind you, but I do find the assumption of a brain-drain to be interesting.

Comment

How do you think I found out the clip with reindeer in it was near the Hudson Bay? It says so in the caption.

I don't think the commercials are bad, mind you, but I do find the assumption of a brain-drain to be interesting.

Ummm...the reindeer clip does not say Hudson Bay it says Idea Wild. There is one commercial that does say "Hudson Bay, Manitoba", but it is for a researcher and noting the ability to travel the planet while at SDSU. You can check them out here:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/SDSU/Alumni/Index.cfm

You might assume "brain drain" when you watch the commercials, but that isn't the intent and obviously many folks don't see that as they have been very successful. The older ads show just as many alums who have been successful in SD as outside of the state, while the newer versions focus mainly on current SDSU students and faculty and what they can do while at State. I'll still claim that "anywhere" in this use means much more position, achievement, or status than it does geographic place.

I'm sure you'll disagree though and continue posting until I quit. You have quickly built a reputation here and at Bisonville to always think you are right and always need the last word...
                        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Zoo,
                          You do have to remember that you are not the target audience for these commercials. Much like I remind myself of the same when I see commercials for Sports Center or heard the new promos on KWSN for Fox Sports Radio. Because we aren't the target audience, it doesn't really matter what we think of them.
                          High School kids, for the vast majority of them, have no concern on whether or not there is a brain drain from SD, they want to know that the school they are going to go to can get them the best chance at doing what they want.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

High School kids, for the vast majority of them, have no concern on whether or not there is a brain drain from SD, they want to know that the school they are going to go to can get them the best chance at doing what they want.
                            Exactly, and that's why the commercials work. Heck. Those commercials have won awards, and can anyone in the state tell me what USD's slogan is?

I sure as heck don't know what it is.

Jackrabbit1979:

Of course the -intent- isn't 'brain-drain', the -intent- is to get students enrolled at SDSU, and it--along with other things--has done a pretty good job. But the subtext, especially with the first batch of commercials was that you don't have to go to the U of M, say, to end up designing robots in Sweden, or golf courses in Brazil, etc.

----

And, as I said, opening commercials up with shots of places that are not South Dakota and not on campus is interesting--after a whole season's worth of BCS football, and the stuff that was on the video board during the tournament, I can safely say I have NEVER seen another university run an ad that looks like SDSU's.

Comment

Working...
                            X