Summit League to Visit USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit League to Visit USD

Others have mentioned the 'pre-emptive strike' factor that may be a part of the Summit investigation of USD. When the Summit League invited NDSU and SDSU, I thought their timing was good. It seems the Big Sky had sniffed hard and then turned its nose up but I thought there was a chance the Big Sky might come looking again. If NDSU and SDSU had not joined a league when they did, and they did as well as they have done in transition, would the Big Sky have revisited? The Summit League saw opportunity and jumped on it as did NDSU and SDSU. Now, if the Big Sky lost a program or two, its nearly unthinkable that NDSU or SDSU would even give them a look.

I think Tom Douple is very focused on continually raising the bar and pushing the Summit League to a higher level.

I have expressed the opinion before -- and it remains unchanged -- that if I had any say in it, I'd prefer to see SDSU and USD in different conferences. But, I recognize USD is likely to put out a consistently better product than some other schools who may be current members or want to be members in the Summit League.
    Last edited by JackJD; 01-06-2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Finally get a chance to post thoughts after just having enough time to post that link. Having read everyone's posts, not a lot to add, but I will.

First, and I have no doubt this is, the core members issue has to be paramount. Adding a school because one may be leaving makes sense, but if a core member leaves and you have to have another core member to stay eligible for the men's tourney, you pay them what ever to get them to come in. You can't lose that.

Second, I would not be surprised at all if the UND "snub" was just fine with UND. I think that as soon as they agreed to that settlement it was known that the mascot would be changing, the only question was when. If USD gets a site visit & UND doesn't, one more arrow in the sling for those that want to change sooner rather than later. Douple's comment that he wouldn't present until the issue is resolved "one way or the other" means by 2010 it will be resolved. The UXD's I believe gave assurances for three years to the Great West Conference (08, 09, 10). Fits pretty that the issue will be resolved when the controversy has to be over "one way or the other."

Traveling is going to be a problem no matter who enters, but when looking at keeping things going, I think the first thing is the auto bid. That means getting better travel for core members that are in the conference. SUU would love to get into the Big Sky, but they don't know when that would happen. UVSU would really help them, but there are too many possibilities for me to keep straight. I believe SIU-Edwardsville would fit also.

Finally, FBS caused major conference shake ups a couple years ago and some of the impact hit the mid-major conferences right away. But I think in reality, the impact is going to hit the mid-majors conferences in the next couple of years. As I kept reading all the posts it struck me that there are a lot of schools that are in more than one conference currently, some conferences are very large and some are kind of small, etc. I think we will see an extensive realignment of these conferences across the board that will solve geographic problems, sizing, sports offered, and so forth. If that is the case, be a strong program is going to be the best selling point a school can have, especially in football and mens basketball. We are strong across the board, but those are the money sports and will drive many of the decisions.

Gonna be interesting. And I hope this is a chance for the Summit members to see how lucky they were getting the best university in SD.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Quick comment: SIU-Edwardsville has already committed to the Ohio Valley and Utah Valley decided to drop the 'State' when they changed their name. They're just UVU, now. I wish the Summit had grabbed SIU-E when they had the chance, because they would've been a great addition for the sake of location along with Chicago State.

Comment

I knew those but had forgotten. You are correct on the SIU-E.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

What is the financial state of Oral Roberts University and how would that fit into the scenario of adding the U?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              If you are going to pair up UMKC and USD ouch.... thats a 5 hour bus trip in the middle of winter,
              Don't quote me on this Joe but I believe that KC is only going to be just over 3 hours from USD. Filbert could probably fill in better as I am sure he has made the journey often.
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                Don't quote me on this Joe but I believe that KC is only going to be just over 3 hours from USD. Filbert could probably fill in better as I am sure he has made the journey often.
                Its over 300 miles so the bus would have to be going over 100 MPH, that's kinda fast.

Comment

Regarding ideas that a shakeup in mid-majors is looming---not quite sure I buy it. If the idea is to rationalize conference structure, I just don't see that happening. Too many divergent interests to come together in the name of fuel economy and travel conveniences... Just my opinion, though.

Regarding the xDSUs getting into the Valley. Not going to happen any time soon. The Valley lives and dies by its MBB programs. SDSU and NDSU will need to have MBB programs that are well above the average Valley program before they'll even get a sniff. Doesn't matter how good they are at soccer, VB, or whatever. The Valley wants all the checks it can get from March madness, and diluting the conference RPI doesn't help that.

USD vs. UND: The chickens are coming home to roost for UND. Their attitude toward their nickname was "we'll do what we want", well those days are over. Now they do what the ND Sioux tribes say--and in the mean time they get left out in the cold.

Per the Argus report, I would guess USD is under serious consideration.

I'm sure the Summit would rather wait and see, but there could be other factors at play here. We may be looking at the imminent departure of a school (my guess would be SUU + UVU to the Big Sky), and that the Summit needs to be prepared to act fast if that happens. If memory serves, SUU isn't a 'core member' of the Summit and, in any case, the NCAA can waive that minimum core member requirement.

177 meetings scheduled over 2 days suggests this isn't a once-over.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                    177 meetings scheduled over 2 days suggests this isn't a once-over.
                    I'm a little confused at this, did I miss something?

Comment

SUU is a core member.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                        The site team consists of league office personnel, including Summit League commissioner Tom Douple, and selected institutional members. The site team collectively has scheduled 177 meetings with various university officials.
                        It's in the article, I missed it the first time too.

Comment

Didn't USD just make a three year commitment to the Great West Conference?

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                            http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...068/-1/updates

"The site team collectively has scheduled 177 meetings with various university officials."

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                              It takes me about 4.5 to 4.75 hours from Lawrence to the area around Vermin, so its probably around 4 to 4.5 hours to the middle of KC. That is with some serious driving as well. Just a rough estimate.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                                It takes me about 4.5 to 4.75 hours from Lawrence to the area around Vermin, so its probably around 4 to 4.5 hours to the middle of KC. That is with some serious driving as well. Just a rough estimate.
                                I live about 50 miles from Verm, Its a solid 6 hour bus drive from where I am from, so I would figure right around 5..... in the summer its fine, in the Winter though, its anybodies guess.

I think that SDSU and NDSU would go along with whatever ORU, Oakland, WIU and Indiana's want to do, do they want to come to the Dakota's again? Now if its a life or death situation then it changes but I would think think that they would want somebody closer to them.

Comment

Working...
                                X