Summit League to Visit USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit League to Visit USD

My bet is with Blue, Centenary is leaving. They are small school, have no conference rivals, lots of travel, and now the economy is bad.

As for the MVC, the possibility is still pretty remote. Supposedly another mass conference rearrangement will happen in a few more so I guess anything is possible though.

Comment

My bet is that UND isn't getting a visit due to their ongoing mascot lawsuit. Until that is cleared up I doubt the Summit League will be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
        My bet is that UND isn't getting a visit due to their ongoing mascot lawsuit. Until that is cleared up I doubt the Summit League will be interested.
        http://www.grandforksherald.com/arti...ction=homepage

Good Call BTown....had you read this article already?
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
          http://www.grandforksherald.com/arti...ction=homepage

Good Call BTown....had you read this article already?
          I hadn't read this article but thanks for posting it. It was more an educated guess on my part. This certainly puts a twist on things.

Comment

"The U is committed to academic excellence, the welfare of the student-athlete". Maybe they need to go watch a BB game there and sit in the seats the out of town fans get. Not the courtside seats but the seats in the next county where you normally have to seat. Go to a game when the students are not aware of the visit so they are forced to act civilized (and the wonderful security doesn't actually do their job for once). If U-dot is accepted, it should only be after building a seperate BB site, no more dump games.
            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

This is certainly suprising news at first blush but it makes more sense the more you look at it. All of these issues are probably factors behind the visit to USD.

The process reminds of when SDSU decided to enter into the exploratory phase. It gave SDSU a sense of what the landscape of D1 was and where SDSU was at and what it would take to be succesful. Had the administration not taken those actions SDSU would have been caught totally unprepared.

The Summitt League as a business needs to assess its options and be prepared for things that may come down the road. Does Centenary leave, another school move to another conference, or another unforseen issue? If they take a look at USD or any other school then they are prepared for to move quickly if the need arises. In my book it is good that they are being proactive. My guess is that they will look at UND and maybe there are others. USD and UND are solid state institutions that would make good conference members.

The issue that is scary is making sure the Summitt League has enough core members to remain eligible for post season bids. It would be a crushing blow to all the schools if that were to happen. SDSU/NDSU to the MVC? Who knows? If that is a beneficial move than it should be looked at.

Now, being in a conference with USD? Uggghhh!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                Any word on their U Mate? IMHO, the Sioux offer much better programs in more sports than USD. If they're going to look at one, I'd prefer to see both.

I know that they didn't select UVSU last time but if SUU is to remain a part of the Summit, they REALLY need a western mate. Having UMKC/SUU as the travel partners is NOT a pretty partnership.

Serious question - Given the always-clear insight that you Jackistanians have into UDot's douchebaggery... What are the chances that, if by some miracle, they get offered membership without any mention of their top rival up by Canada... Would they say, "Ain't noway, nohow, we join your Summit without including our good friends with the racist mascot???"

... or is it true that there is no honor among thieves and it is every man for himself?

Comment

Oh yeah - comments from the racist mascot's fans... [linky]

didn't notice the post above. we'll just say i'm padding my post count
                  Last edited by UTH; 01-06-2009, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UTH View Post
                    Serious question - Given the always-clear insight that you Jackistanians have into UDot's douchebaggery... What are the chances that, if by some miracle, they get offered membership without any mention of their top rival up by Canada... Would they say, "Ain't noway, nohow, we join your Summit without including our good friends with the racist mascot???"

... or is it true that there is no honor among thieves and it is every man for himself?
                    From what I know there has been nothing made public of USD's relationship with UND. And considering the Grand Forks Herald article above, I would bet alot of money USD isn't going to wait around.

Comment

I wouldn't be jumping the starter's gun on this news story. Tom Double has consistently said that the Summit League has to be always aware of its options should any school(s) leave the conference. While the two UxDs would obviously fit in geographically (better than SUU or Centenary, although exactly how or when those two would leave is an unknown).

But there are other options as well (and the core argument is certainly one that Douple is very aware of) and none of the "exploring the possible options" will mean a lot until a situation arises that gets the League to look at its options. And you can bet that the eastern schools in the Summit will not be jumping with joy at adding two more western schools rather than a Chicago State or SIU-Edwardsville, or whatever. It's true however, that if nobody was leaving and the League's presidents wanted to make a 12-team (6-6 East/West division), they could look at the UxDs (but obviously won't even consider that until UND's situation is resolved.

I also believe the USD visit is intended to do two things...get one site visit over and reported to the President's Council...and jab UND to get its problems resolved if it wants to join the party.

Comment

Would the other schools approve though? SDSU and NDSU might approve but does WIU and Oakland and the Indiana schools want to make another trip to the Dakota's in winter? If you are going to pair up UMKC and USD ouch.... thats a 5 hour bus trip in the middle of winter, not to mention that to get to USD you will probably have to fly into Omaha, drive 2-3 hours to V-town, then get on the bus and travel 5 hours too Kansas City? Thats 7-8 hours on a bus on a trip..... Is there a bus trip in conference that long?

I personally wouldn't mind seeing USD in the conference when they count and understand the league looking at them as a possibility but I would just think that Chicago State or try to "steel" a Southland Conference team especially if Youngstown leaves the MVFC as rumored... Then you could get them into both, we have played most of them in football, they have decent basketball programs but not threatening ones and they make as much travel sense as USD does....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          I personally wouldn't mind seeing USD in the conference when they count and understand the league looking at them as a possibility but I would just think that Chicago State or try to "steel" a Southland Conference team especially if Youngstown leaves the MVFC as rumored...
                          Please just one time give us some evidence that would suggest Youngstown is considering leaving the MVFC?

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            Please just one time give us some evidence that would suggest Youngstown is considering leaving the MVFC?
                            I have no evidence I have just heard the rumors that they are considering a FBS switch or a switch to a more geographically friendly conference...

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              I have no evidence I have just heard the rumors that they are considering a FBS switch or a switch to a more geographically friendly conference...
                              It would make sense. YSU moves up and joins the Mid-American Conference evening the divisions at 7 each. Would make scheduling MAC conference games a lot easier for football. Only one problem: it would make the divisions uneven for basketball and other sports since Temple is in the MAC for football only.

Comment

Originally posted by OKC_Poke View Post
                                It would make sense. YSU moves up and joins the Mid-American Conference evening the divisions at 7 each. Would make scheduling MAC conference games a lot easier for football. Only one problem: it would make the divisions uneven for basketball and other sports since Temple is in the MAC for football only.
                                And I don't know anything, I just know that they have enough cred to move up and are a ways out of the way for the MVFC; and its been rumored that they are considering it.... And if you are going to get somebody for the Summit League it would help if you had a football spot to offer them also, and if push came to shove would a Southland Conference team that is established be a better partner then USD..... Also why don't they look at Denver? It has a program similar to the rest of the league, it has a nice facility, and a nice airport.... Could be a traveling partner with SUU...

Comment

Working...
                                X