X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fred Oien retiring

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
    The insights into the program I have grown up with have shaped my opinion,
    Do tell oh great and knowledgeable one oh "Carnac the Magnificent", only insight, only you would know. Curious, Curious, Curious. In my best Ed McMahon voice "Tell us Carnac, what is in the envelope?"

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
      Do tell oh great and knowledgeable one oh "Carnac the Magnificent", only insight, only you would know. Curious, Curious, Curious. In my best Ed McMahon voice "Tell us Carnac, what is in the envelope?"
      Sorry sir, but i'm not from that generation so that was just a bunch of nonsense. I did get a good laugh at it though.

Comment

Sorry sir, but i'm not from that generation so that was just a bunch of nonsense. I did get a good laugh at it though.
        One clue: Johnny from Norfolk Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
          Den, I'm not even sure why you come here anymore. You haven't posted anything that isn't mocking someone or at least negative toward a topic in quite some time.

Fred did a nice job leading SDSU during the transition, he hired all of the coaches that are currently in place. But I think its too early to nominate him for sainthood or knighthood just yet. There are many, many people that don't have that same opinion of Fred that is being posted here and they bleed just as true blue and yellow as others.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
            There are many, many people that don't have that same opinion of Fred that is being posted here and they bleed just as true blue and yellow as others.
            That comes with the territory. You can't please all of the people all of the time so you do what you think is best after counsel with your closest advisors and deal with the consequences. Dr. Oien did a good job in a high profile position during some of the toughest of times. He knew he didn't always fall on the side of everyones favor and he didn't let that prevent him from putting SDSU athletes first. He's no saint but I think his legacy should be as the Athletic Dept leader who help see us through transition.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I would challenge anyone to come up with a person in SDSU Athletics history who has made more of an impact than Fred Oien. Taking the bullets when SDSU announced it's desire to explore the move to DI and then successfully navigating the University through the transition and compliance should cement his legacy in the years to come!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                I would challenge anyone to come up with a person in SDSU Athletics history who has made more of an impact than Fred Oien. Taking the bullets when SDSU announced it's desire to explore the move to DI and then successfully navigating the University through the transition and compliance should cement his legacy in the years to come!
                Can I get an amen!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  Absolutely positively overstating it there JackGuy. Fred was the leader during transition, his position in history has yet to be determined. What if a new AD comes in and gets SDSU on Tv, attendance improves and coorporate sponsorships increase. Wouldn't you then have to say that Fred held the athletic department back?
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Den, I'm not even sure why you come here anymore. You haven't posted anything that isn't mocking someone or at least negative toward a topic in quite some time.
                    Well come on, some of the smoke that is being laid in these post is just to easy to have fun with. In all the time I have been on this site, you know as well as I that I rarely post, heck look at my totals but lately some of these new supporters are just to easy. I remember when...if you were going to say they, him, her, I've heard, etc...that you need to substantiate it? Has this changed?

Comment

Only when dealing with athletes.

I realize that some don't see the attraction for coming on a site and posting your thoughts or opinions and then arguing with others about them for weeks to seemingly no end. I can respect that as my wife constantly mocks me when she notices I am checking the board.
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Absolutely positively overstating it there JackGuy. Fred was the leader during transition, his position in history has yet to be determined. What if a new AD comes in and gets SDSU on Tv, attendance improves and coorporate sponsorships increase. Wouldn't you then have to say that Fred held the athletic department back?

I've never guaranteed much in my life so far, but I am willing to guarantee that Fred Oien will never be accused of "holding SDSU Athletics back", whether it be tomorrow or 100 years from now.

If SDSU is consistantly on TV, attendance improves and coorporate sponsorships increase...which they all should/better under the new AD...it will be because the D-1 move happened in the first place, which Fred was the driving force.

Go Jacks!!
                        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Dr. Oien took SDSU athletics to a whole new level. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by CSU-Rabbit View Post
                            Dr. Oien took SDSU athletics to a whole new level. Period.
                            Literally, took us to a new level. You can't argue with that.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Well that is your opinion and I respect that, and as other sports go you are probably completely correct, I just feel that the success of football and women's basketball has been completely due to those coaches.
                              That Fred hired. Just to be clear. He also had the foresight to see what Stig could bring to D1 and stuck with him. Nobody would have been surprised if a change was made.

Fred was fairly young when he got the job and you can see that he has continued that trend in his hires over the years. AJ was a REALLY young and fairly inexperienced guy when he got the job. I knew AJ back then and was thumbs up on the hire but it was a courageous one at the time.

Knowing Dr. Oien as I do, he would much rather see someone else get the credit. He should be extremely proud of a job well done at SDSU.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                                That Fred hired. Just to be clear. He also had the foresight to see what Stig could bring to D1 and stuck with him. Nobody would have been surprised if a change was made.

Fred was fairly young when he got the job and you can see that he has continued that trend in his hires over the years. AJ was a REALLY young and fairly inexperienced guy when he got the job. I knew AJ back then and was thumbs up on the hire but it was a courageous one at the time.

Knowing Dr. Oien as I do, he would much rather see someone else get the credit. He should be extremely proud of a job well done at SDSU.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                                I've thought of that hire many times as well. AJ's only head coaching experience prior to that was the golf team wasn't it, and assistant basketball coach for a couple seasons?? I think alot of people questioned the hire when it went down, but its turned out to be one of the biggest decisions of Oien's career considering the sucess women's basketball has had since then.

Comment

Working...
                                X