Fred Oien retiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fred Oien retiring

Here is TV's article about Fred's Retirement from this morning's paper.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...28/1002/sports

Some jag-off made some tasteless comments at the end. Pissed me off a great deal. Its those types of comments that make me hate udot even more and is swaying me to the side of never playing them again. And udot fans wonder why we don't want anything to do with them.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Being the Christmas season, I posted the applicable "cast the first stone" passage from the Bible.

Changing the foul dynamic of "the rivalry" has to begin with the person in the bathroom mirror every morning. Won't be easy. But time to start.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I suspect when Dr. Oien leaves SDSU he will feel really good about what he has accomplished. Bow that chest out and be proud Dr. Oien you deserve it.

Don't know if his legacy will includes buildings, fields etc. But, I do know that everytime the discussion turns to the move to Dl Dr. Oiens name will be the first one mentioned.

One could also assume that Dr. Oien will be around as a fund raiser / consultant etc.

Best of luck in the future Dr. Oien.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          Being the Christmas season, I posted the applicable "cast the first stone" passage from the Bible.

Changing the foul dynamic of "the rivalry" has to begin with the person in the bathroom mirror every morning. Won't be easy. But time to start.
          I reported it as abusive and it went away.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

My thanks & congrats to Dr. Oien, best wishes to him in the future. I do believe a facility will and SHOULD be named after him; Oien Field @ Coughlin Alumni Stadium.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
              My thanks & congrats to Dr. Oien, best wishes to him in the future. I do believe a facility will and SHOULD be named after him; Oien Field @ Coughlin Alumni Stadium.
              I agree in general, although I think it's best to wait a while since oftentimes someone's true value to an institution isn't as clear right away as it will be some years down the line. It hink Dr. Oien's contribution will only grow in perception down the road.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                I agree in general, although I think it's best to wait a while since oftentimes someone's true value to an institution isn't as clear right away as it will be some years down the line. It hink Dr. Oien's contribution will only grow in perception down the road.

Absolutely, I did not mean to imply that this should be done right away, just gavean example of something that could be done in the future.
                Naming rights and fees obviously will also impact this.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Absolutely, I did not mean to imply that this should be done right away, just gavean example of something that could be done in the future.
                  Naming rights and fees obviously will also impact this.
                  You're right. Sometimes when we do things like this quickly, the edifice doesn't match the person's real contribution. I think over time it will be evident that Fred really set us on the path to something special and we'll want his name on something substantial and lasting.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

If anybody is going to have his name on the field in the future it will be John Stiegelmeier. He and Aaron Johnston have made this transition, not Fred.

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
                      If anybody is going to have his name on the field in the future it will be John Stiegelmeier. He and Aaron Johnston have made this transition, not Fred.

Really??

I think the Volleyball, Baseball, golf, track, etc would disagree with you. One thing that all the SDSU sports have in common is "a winning attitude" and "do it the right way"...that comes straight from the top, and that is Dr. Oien.
                      I also think AJ and Coach Stig would also very much disagree with your statement.

Go Jacks!!
                      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                        Really??

I think the Volleyball, Baseball, golf, track, etc would disagree with you. One thing that all the SDSU sports have in common is "a winning attitude" and "do it the right way"...that comes straight from the top, and that is Dr. Oien.
                        I also think AJ and Coach Stig would also very much disagree with your statement.

Go Jacks!!
                        Well that is your opinion and I respect that, and as other sports go you are probably completely correct, I just feel that the success of football and women's basketball has been completely due to those coaches.

Comment

Well that is your opinion and I respect that, and as other sports go you are probably completely correct, I just feel that the success of football and women's basketball has been completely due to those coaches.
                          I think our successes have been due to the heart of the athletes playing on their respected teams. Fred Oien has had some tough moves to make. Hiring two inexperienced coaches in Scott Nagy and Aaron Johnston, watching baseball leave then comeback to campus. There haven been some tough times and good times.

Comment

You are very wrong and yes, Stig and AJ would tell you the same.

How about the overall athletic budget more the doubling? How about the overall level of scholarships going from 90-some 5 years ago to over 200 currently (including going from 36 to 63 in football)? It is Fred's leadership that allowed these things to happen. Under him he's put the proper administrators in place to make these things happen. He's built solid relationships with many influential donors that has brought many of dollars to the SDSU athletic department.

The list goes on but I'll leave you with these to ponder and see if you still feel AJ and Stig singlehandedly "made" this transition.

Comment

I'll pile on a little here in regards to a comment about who "made" the transition. Coaches play the main role in bringing quality student-athletes to campus and putting them in a position to be successful on the field or court. Dr. Oien is the one who put all of our current coaches in their current situation. I had the privelage of a car ride from the Black Hills to Brookings with Dr. Oien back in the summer of 2001 and asked him about some of his hires. There's not one on the staff that was a slam dunk nor one that didn't come with a little questioning from higher ups and the donor base. Fred made the decisions he thought were right and had to live with the consequences if he were wrong. Fortunately he's been pretty right about his picks.

Lets not forget that AJ chose to leave SDSU for "greener pastures" only to realize what he was leaving. Fortunately for him Fred hadn't moved on and took him back with open arms.

Back to the topic. A well deserved retirement for Dr. Oien. Can't say I've always agreed with him as a person, leader and manager, but he has done many great things during his time at SDSU. His human side was never that far from the surface, which I'm sure is rare for an administrator in his capacity if you look at his peers.

I hope that the search is truly wide spread for his replacement and that the BEST leader for SDSU's athletic future is found.
                              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                                You are very wrong and yes, Stig and AJ would tell you the same.

How about the overall athletic budget more the doubling? How about the overall level of scholarships going from 90-some 5 years ago to over 200 currently (including going from 36 to 63 in football)? It is Fred's leadership that allowed these things to happen. Under him he's put the proper administrators in place to make these things happen. He's built solid relationships with many influential donors that has brought many of dollars to the SDSU athletic department.

The list goes on but I'll leave you with these to ponder and see if you still feel AJ and Stig singlehandedly "made" this transition.
                                Ok I never said singlehandedly, and I should have better clarified that I was refering to the football and basketball programs specifically. All I'm saying is that in my opinion Aaron Johnston is most responsible for the success of the women's basketball team and John Stiegelmeier is most responsible for the success of the football team and they should not be overshadowed. The thought of naming a football field after the AD INVOLVED in our success instead of the coach DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE for that success just does not seem right to me. Especially when I am aware of all of the b/s that John has had to put up with since he was hired. The insights into the program I have grown up with have shaped my opinion, if that makes me very wrong in your eyes then so be it.

Comment

Working...
                                X