• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Oien retiring

This email just came from the President's Office:

TO: South Dakota State University faculty, administrators and staff
    RE: Retirement of Athletic Director Fred Oien
    DATE: December 19, 2008

Fred Oien, athletic director and department head, informed me earlier this week of his decision to retire, effective April 8, 2009.

Fred has been a driver of the very successful Division I move, despite all the challenges it presented. His leadership was essential. Our athletic teams have competed for conference championships in many sports, and student-athletes have participated in team and individual national competitions.

The university will be issuing a news release on Dr. Oien’s retirement shortly.

A national search will be initiated in January 2009 with the goal of having the AD position filled by summer 2009. As a first step, I will appoint a search/recruitment committee soon after January 1, 2009. Please send me your nominations for service on the committee.

I ask that you all join me in thanking Dr. Oien for his almost 30 years of service at South Dakota State and 18 years of service as athletic director and department head and in wishing him the very best in retirement.

David L. Chicoine, Ph.D.
    President
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: Fred Oien retiring

Kudos to Dr. Oien on leading SDSU through the transition process. We came through the transition better than anyone ever could have hoped for, and I'm sure Fred was a big part of that success.

Best wishes to him in retirement, and looking forward to seeing who is selected to carry the torch after him.

Comment

I think the timing is right for Fred and I wish him nothing but the best as he enters retirment. He has been the leader and lightening rod during the transition process and he steered our ship through rough waters relatively unscathed. He has earned my respect and I'm happy to give it to him. I hope he continues to be a huge Jackrabbit fan.

Thanks for everything Fred and enjoy life after SDSU, you've earned it.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I too think that Dr. Oien has done an excellent job of seeing SDSU through the transition process, and am thankfull that he stuck it out until the process was complete.

I used to bother Dr. Oien regularly when I was a journalism student at SDSU and a Collegian Sports Editor with big ideas. He was always willing to talk with me and accomodating to my requests, including the time that I called him asking him for a copy of the athletic department budget. Even though I had no idea what I was actually going to do with it, he arranged for me to be able to pick up a copy of the budget the same day. He could have squashed my frivolent request without a second thought, but he choose not to.

I wish him well in retirement and hope to still see him around at SDSU event. He can be a straight fan now.
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
          Kudos to Dr. Oien on leading SDSU through the transition process. We came through the transition better than anyone ever could have hoped for, and I'm sure Fred was a big part of that success.

Yes i agree with you on that. I know many people didn't think moving up to the D-1 level was a good idea. But Fred made the right choice to move up to D-1. He didn't panic when things didn't go smooth he just kept his eye on the prize. Great job Fred!!! and good luck

Comment

Agreed, my best to Dr. Oien in his retirement. He took a lot of bullets for SDSU during the transition and I thank him for sticking it out and doing an excellent job as our AD.

Good luck, Dr. Oien...

Comment

All I can say is Good for Fred! Go off and enjoy your retirement!
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I will count among my "accomplishments" as my years wind down, for having been a part of the team that choose Fred Oien as the athletic director for SDSU. He has exceeded every area I believed he could bring to SDSU!

My major prayer during the transition to Division I (and we wouldn't be where we are today if not for the staunch support that he brought through all the tough times of that process), was that he would stay with us until we had made it to last July.

While I have known for some time that he was considering the possibility, I was still saddened to hear from him that the time is now here. I am, however, extremely happy for him! He can look back at what he has accomplished (not the least of which is putting together a great staff) with GREAT pride. SDSU athletic followers owe him big time, and I am pleased that he will have some time to "back off" the difficult job he has had all these years, and particularly the last six years when the move up began.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                  Agreed, my best to Dr. Oien in his retirement. He took a lot of bullets for SDSU during the transition and I thank him for sticking it out and doing an excellent job as our AD.

Good luck, Dr. Oien...
                  No question about the bullets. Especially in the exploratory portion of the move itself. President Miller was the driver, but did not step out in the spotlight right away. It seems like everyone was shooting at the ego of Dr. Fred Oien as they thought he was the Lone Ranger on this wild idea.

Although I was not at the open meeting where Fred made this remark, its a funny one.
                  Perhaps the most redundant question asked was: Why is SDSU going D1?" Fred according to the newspaper said; Because I don't want some kicking my wheel chair when I am in a rest home, and saying; Why didn't SDSU go D1 back when you were the AD?'.

I wish Fred the best. Hopefully we can find a very capable replacement that will take us up to the next rung on the ladder.

Comment

The release:

SDSU athletic director announces his retirement

BROOKINGS, S.D. — Fred Oien, who has held several positions in South Dakota State University athletics since 1979, has informed university officials of his intentions to retire, the university announced today.

Oien has served as athletic director and also as head of the Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation for the past 18 years. Oien plans to retire effective April 8, 2009.

David L. Chicoine, South Dakota State president, cited SDSU’s transition to NCAA Division I athletics, completed in 2008, as Oien’s legacy in Jackrabbit athletics.

“Fred informed me of his intentions earlier this week, and I have accepted his retirement,” Chicoine said. “Fred has been a driver of the very successful Division I move, despite all the challenges it presented. His leadership was essential. Our athletic teams have competed for conference championships in many sports, and student-athletes have participated in team and individual national competitions.”

Oien, who turns 59 in January, was named director of athletics and head of Health, Physical Education and Recreation on July 1, 1990. His relationship with SDSU started long before that. Originally from Renner, Oien earned his bachelor’s degree in 1972 and his master’s degree in 1975, both from State. He completed an Ed.D. at the University of Massachusetts in 1979 and returned to Brookings that fall as associate professor, research coordinator and head women’s golf coach. He was named athletic ticket manager and business manager in 1981.

The university plans to complete a national search for an athletic director by summer 2009, Chicoine said. A search committee will be named and convened by mid-January, he said.

“I started exploring retirement options earlier this year,” Oien said. “My 18 years as AD and nearly 30 years at this university have been filled with many highlights, and I am proud of those accomplishments. It’s been a very good run.”

Founded in 1881, South Dakota State University is the state’s Morrill Act land-grant institution and its largest, most comprehensive university. SDSU graduates students from eight different colleges representing more than 200 majors, minors and options. The institution also offers 22 master’s degree programs and 12 Ph.D. programs. The work of the university is carried out on a residential campus in Brookings and at attendance centers in Sioux Falls, Pierre and Rapid City.

South Dakota State University is a NCAA Division I institution, a member of the Summit League for most sports, the Missouri Valley Football Conference, the Western Wrestling Conference, the Varsity Equestrian conference and the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association.

-www.sdstate.edu-
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

In my mind Fred did an amazing job guiding us through the transfer process. I hope that he is involved in finding his successor. His foresight and ability to get things done will be missed. How long until he has a building named after him?

Comment

Originally posted by jack43 View Post
                        In my mind Fred did an amazing job guiding us through the transfer process. I hope that he is involved in finding his successor. His foresight and ability to get things done will be missed. How long until he has a building named after him?
                        Knowing Mr. Oien, not as well as others, I doubt he would at all want or allow a building named after him, just my take. I don't think you ment that literally, but I agree he is a guy that SDSU and its alumni should pay tribute to in some way. We owe much success, especially in the transition, to Fred.

...maybe a room in the SADC could named after him.

Comment

Best wishes and many thanks to Dr. Oien. His retirement creates a significant vacancy. It also creates a significant opportunity. The heavy lifting related to going D-1 is over, thanks to Dr. Oien and others. The next athletic director will be able to focus on elevating SDSU athletics to an even higher level. The job should attract a lot of high-quality candidates.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Said it another thread, I'll say it here too. This is a plum job. SDSU is growing and South Dakota is growing at a time when a lot of big name schools are in difficult economic and fundraising environments.

The pay may not be outstanding, but this is an opportunity to =build= a D-1 program. There is a solid foundation here, but hardly an entire house.

Comment

This makes me feel old. I remember a Jackrabbit luncheon before an SDSU vs. Augie in Sioux Falls. I had lunch with Fred Oien and Dana Dykhouse. That was before hardly anybody knew who either one of them were.
                              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Working...
                              X