Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Music

I just got The Book of Secrets by Loreena McKennitt Something different for me, not blues or 60's rock. It was in the Celtic section. IMO the best track is Night Ride Across the Caucasus. Definitely worth a listen.

An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
    US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
      Damien Rice.  Album: O

Very mellow, good music.  He has some songs where he has a female sing accomp and they sound great.  He was on Austin City Limits about a month ago.  Sounds a little like a mellow Pete Yorn.

MJA,
      I had never really caught an Austin City Limits show until you had mentioned it on here a few months back. Tracy Chapman was on tonight, it was damn good. It is always refreshing to hear somebody sound just as good live as they do recorded (or even close). You don't see that too much any more these days.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Got a copy of Johnny Cash's American Recordings V. :'(

Can't believe it's been almost three years.
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

MJA did you go to that summer fest at all and if you did did you see any good shows? it's sad to see when musicans still pumping out good stuff die. American Recordings V is an album i want but haven't got yet maybe I'll see if its at walmart today.

Comment

I had all intentions of going to Elvis Costello on opening night and Wilco last Weds, but both times was unable to secure a sitter for the girls. I heard both shows were awesome. Supposedly, the best show of the festival was Pearl Jam and Tom Petty playing together. Petty plays almost every year because his guitarist is from Milwaukee. From what I've heard and read, this was his best show in years. I saw him 4 summers ago and it was one of the better concerts I've been to. Blues Traveler will be here on August 1 in the absolute best place in Milwaukee to see a band play; The Pabst Theatre. It's a small venue that has been completely refurbished in the last 2 years and is an unbelievable place so listen to music. My college years were in Blues Traveler's hey day, so I'm a fan. I'm planning on making the Aug 1 show.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I heard the Tom Petty / Pearl Jam concert in MPLS was a blast as well. TP will be playing out here at the Rally in about a month. I plan on catching that show.

I picked up the new Johnny Cash CD last night (American V: A Hundred Highways). It's the best CD I've bought in a long time. Very powerful.

Comment

Blues Traveler would be an awesome show to see. I've become a Blues Traveler fan since entering college 3 years ago. They have a lot of good stuff out there, but they kind of have been forgotten a little bit.

Comment

Blues Traveler's biggest problem is they haven't put out a decent album in a couple years. They've put out albums, but they're just average (in my opinion). This coming from a guy who burned a whole in his "Four" CD because I listened to it so much.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

For anyone looking for a good CD to buy, go out and get "Z" from My Morning Jacket. I purchase CD's like they're a life necessity (and tend to borrow the occasional CD from the internet) and this is the best CD I've picked up in the last 2 years. They were originally labled as alt-country, but their last two albums ("Z" and "It Still Moves&quot are only country in the loosest of terms. Even then it's a stretch. It's hard to peg who they sound like, but some say they have some early Neil Young or The Flaming Lips sound to them. I would agree to an extent on the "It Still Moves" album, but "Z" is unlike any album I've ever heard. In a word, it's awesome. If looking for a sample on I tunes or somewhere else, look for "Gideon" or "What a Wonderful Man" or "Wordless Chorus" or "Dondante". Hell, sample the whole album. It's that good. (My 3 year old daughter told me yesterday "Daddy, I yike (like) that song" so it has her approval as well.)

Comment

I feel like I'm almost having a dialogue with myself on this thread, but I don't mind talking to myself, so I'll keep it up. Went to a really great one man accoustical show last night by Jeff Tweedy. He is the lead singer for Wilco. They are officially thought of as "alt-country" or something similar. I think their latest album "A Ghost is Born" is beyond that label. For those of you looking to pick up a new CD, check out Wilco.

By the way, a good place to give a whirl on new requests is Amazon.com (they'll let you listen to 20-30 second blurbs of the songs) or youtube.com (do a search for Jeff Tweedy and you should find something).

Also on youtube.com, do a search for "Amelia and Josie" and you'll see a quick clip of my daughters for anyone who is truly bored.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                        I feel like I'm almost having a dialogue with myself on this thread, but I don't mind talking to myself, so I'll keep it up.  Went to a really great one man accoustical show last night by Jeff Tweedy.  He is the lead singer for Wilco.  They are officially thought of as "alt-country" or something similar.  I think their latest album "A Ghost is Born" is beyond that label.  For those of you looking to pick up a new CD, check out Wilco.  

By the way, a good place to give a whirl on new requests is Amazon.com (they'll let you listen to 20-30 second blurbs of the songs) or youtube.com (do a search for Jeff Tweedy and you should find something).

Also on youtube.com, do a search for "Amelia and Josie" and you'll see a quick clip of my daughters for anyone who is truly bored.
                        I talk to myself all the time.  Thankfully my humble and faithful sidekick (Jersey dog) is usually by my side so I can pass it off as talking to her.  Which, in and of itself, could be considered crazy. Does anyone else have the ashes of an old dog? My wife thinks I'm crazy for keeping those (no, not Jersey; she's alive). 

I'm going to check out this Tweedy guy, sounds pretty good.  A band you might be interested in is Cross Candadian Ragweed.  I've downloaded a few of their songs and like what I've heard so far (Brooklyn Kid is my favorite).

Comment

The Fargo Forum says Clapton is coming back to the Fargodome.   I saw the concert there in 2001.   With the possible exception of the Moody Blues with the Fargo Moorhead Symphony it was the best concert I've seen.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...p;section=news

Clapton to play Fargodome
                          Forum staff reports, The Forum
                          Published Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Eric Clapton has been to Fargo only once before, but he’s scheduled to celebrate his 62nd birthday here March 30.

According to www.whereseric.com, the Clapton fan club magazine, and touring industry Web site www.pollstar.com, the legendary guitarist will make his second appearance at the Fargodome that day. The singer/guitarist’s prior show, in July 2001, drew more than 17,000 fans.

Fargodome General Manager Rob Sobolik said he couldn’t confirm the date but did say, “We’ve been working with a couple of promoters to bring Clapton here in the first quarter of next year.”

Tickets for the 2001 show were $46 and $66, and Sobolik said proposed ticket prices for a 2007 show would be “reasonable.”

Tickets for the March 28 show in Winnipeg, the last before the Fargo date, ranged from $65 to $125 for the 10,596 seat configuration at the MTS Centre, according to www.ticketmaster.com.

An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                          US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

I think Clapton would be a great show. Lots of good material to pull from. Cream, Derrick and the Dominos, his solo stuff, etc. An even better show would be if he decided to do it acoustic. His acoustic show for "unplugged" still sets the bar in my opinion on the "unplugged" series.

Went to the My Morning Jacket show here in town last night. What a great band. Do yourself a favor and check out some of the clips from them on youtube. Both my wife and I really enjoyed the show last night. Plus, PBR silo cans were on special last night for $3/can (the show was at the Riverside which is the sister theater to the Pabst Theatre). Lots of PBR, great music and a night out on the town without the kids and it was a great night. Buy MMJ's album, "Z". You'll be glad you did.

Comment

I'm thinking road trip! LOL
                              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Going to a Clapton concert would be a blast but March 30 already looks like a full day for me. >

Comment

Working...
                                X