Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Music

Marcia Ball is a Texas Blues singer that I like.  I first saw her a few years ago on Austin City Limits with Tracy Nelson and Irma Thomas.  Much of the music from the show is on a cd titled SING IT that the 3 made together.
    An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
    US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

switchfoot had an awesome concert for the UPC tonight too bad the crowd support wasn't there. but all in all it was a fun night

Comment

And who is Switchfoot? That might be the reason for a low turnout. On this campus I hear more country being played.

Comment

Ryan Kisor is one of the best. I think most trumpeters who compare themself to Kisor would feel inadequate. He has a God given gift to play the horn. Not saying he didn't work hard, but I truly believe some folks are just given a gift to play and they can excel to a level most musicians don't attain without too much headache.

You should check out his playing now. I think you can get Kisor recordings on Amazon. He's a jazz superstar in Japan and that's why he has many import CDs available. Also, his playing with the LCJO (Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra) is great, athough he does not get as much solo time in that setting. Mr. Marsalis is the star and does much of the trumpet soloing.

Comment

Originally posted by statealum
            Ryan Kisor is one of the best. I think most trumpeters who compare themself to Kisor would feel inadequate. He has a God given gift to play the horn. Not saying he didn't work hard, but I truly believe some folks are just given a gift to play and they can excel to a level most musicians don't attain without too much headache.

You should check out his playing now. I think you can get Kisor recordings on Amazon. He's a jazz superstar in Japan and that's why he has many import CDs available. Also, his playing with the LCJO (Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra) is great, athough he does not get as much solo time in that setting. Mr. Marsalis is the star and does much of the trumpet soloing.
            I played jazz trumpet in high school and played in the Augie festival the same time he did. He was amazing. Sioux City was thankfully a class above ours so we didn't have to compete against him. I heard he's been hot lately after running into some trouble with drugs early in his career as many musicians have. I hope the drugs thing was bad information. Man, could he play.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

switchfoot is a rock/punk rock band. use to be christian but they went to the mainstream. monday night concerts don't really draw much. lots of little high school kids there though. felt sorry for some of them standing behind me since i am such a big guy.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                [quote author=statealum link=1144854878/15#18 date=1145974006]Ryan Kisor is one of the best. I think most trumpeters who compare themself to Kisor would feel inadequate. He has a God given gift to play the horn. Not saying he didn't work hard, but I truly believe some folks are just given a gift to play and they can excel to a level most musicians don't attain without too much headache.

I played jazz trumpet in high school and played in the Augie festival the same time he did.  He was amazing.  Sioux City was thankfully a class above ours so we didn't have to compete against him.  I heard he's been hot lately after running into some trouble with drugs early in his career as many musicians have.  I hope the drugs thing was bad information.  Man, could he play.
                [/quote]

I second what MJA has stated. Our little high school had a secret weapon in Shades (SDSU grad) but even he had to take a backseat to the play of Kisor. The kid was/is fricken amazing.

Comment

AND... he has a younger brother, Justin Kisor, who is nearly as good. The family was given a "jazz gene."

It is nearly impossible to make a name for oneself playing jazz. Although Kisor is known amoungest jazz musicians and certainly has joined the highest circle in the business, in some ways he was better known when he was a high school "super star" than he is now (at least around here). IE, being an amazing high school trumpeter is more of an accomplishment than being a first-call jazz musician in NYC. I think that is a common example of how we think and react in America. Just like American Idol on TV, we are more interested in the "star" appeal than the true artistic ability. Kisor was a star when he was the best high schooler trumpeter around, but now that he's another JAZZ musician (jazz being the key word) in NYC, he's nothing special. Of course, what I'm saying is taken to an extreme, but it is somewhat true.

Anyway... if you feel like buying a new jazz recording, go to Amazon and order something by Ryan Kisor! I'd like to see him back in the area (Sioux Falls, Sioux City) to play a concert (a feature concert... Kisor being the top bill). I guess he was in Minnesota last winter, but I didn't hear about that till it was too late.

Comment

Damien Rice. Album: O

Very mellow, good music. He has some songs where he has a female sing accomp and they sound great. He was on Austin City Limits about a month ago. Sounds a little like a mellow Pete Yorn.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Attended the Faith Hill and Tim McGraw concert at the Excel last night. What a great venue! The show was good and we had great seats. Nice night away from the kids.

I've always been a fan of Tim and Faith. They are really more entertainers than musicians and they are good at entertaining.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I have never been a fan of any music I don't normally hear on the radio so I laughed at my brother when he told me about Pat Green. I said yeah right you are drunk ;D, but then I went to Texas with him and that is all we listened to on the way down there. He went to school in Texas and they would drive hours to see this guy. After I got back from Texas I went and bought "Three Days" by Pat and it is still in my CD player. Excellent CD and singer.

It is country, but not in the sense of everyone else on CMT. Check it out, great driving music.

My last purchase was last fall. I realized during hunting season I drive a lot late at night to get where I am going and the purchase was "Appetite for Destruction". Also one of my favorites.

Comment

Pearl Jams new album isnt bad and neither is Rascal Flatts new one. Went out and brought them yesturday.

Comment

Pearl Jam and Tom Petty will be on stage the same night in late June/early July. Can't remember what date for sure, but go to www.summerfest.com to check out the best 2 week celebration in the midwest. If you ever get a chance, come to Milwaukee for a couple days of summer fest. You won't be disappointed. Along with a headline act playing on the main stage (which costs extra money) there will be 6-8 acts playing at the various side stages throughout the summerfest grounds. It usually costs around $12.00 to get in and it is well worth the money. That website lists all the side stage and main stage acts. Plus, the people watching ain't bad either.

Comment

nice group of music genres playing there. to have money to go enjoy things like that. maybe some day before i graduate from here i'll go out that way i got some friends in the milwaukee area i believe.

Comment

Pearl Jam and Tom Petty will be on the Marcus Ampitheatre on June 29. Some of the free stage acts will be Trapt, Train, Elvis Costello, Wilco, Lynard Skynard, The Fray, and many more. Take a look. It's just over a 7 hour drive from Brookings and right around 6 1/2 from Sioux Falls. Worth the trip.

Comment

Working...
                                X