Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music

I have a serious problem. I am extremely addicted to music and have been since I was a kid. I currently have a library of approx 600 CDs and countless MP3s (all legally downloaded as far as the music industry knows). My daughter's probably the only 2 year old who sings Billy Bragg and Nick Cave songs (although her current favorite is James Blunts "Your Beautiful&quot. Having said that, I'm always looking for a new CD to listen to. The only music I don't particularly enjoy would be Country.

Some of the CDs I'm listening to of late:

Billy Bragg - Discology
    Jack Johnson - On & On
    Eva Cassidy - Time After Time
    The Fray - How to Save a Life
    Death Cab for Cutie - Plans
    Jessie Harris - While the Music Lasts
    Zero 7 - When It Falls & Simple Things (2 discs)

As you can see, most of what I listen to would be considered probably Alternative Rock or something in that genre. I also love Jazz (Dizzy and Miles= favs), 70s Rock (Pink Floyd, Led Zep), 90s Rock (Radiohead, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, James), and whatever.

Give me a list of some of your favorite CDs so I can expand the collection. Any discussion would be great too. I love talking music.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Re: Music

i don't really like some of that "Popular" crap they play these days. I like my country country, my rock hard, some rap and some of the older pop stuff. speaking of music switchfoot visits SDSU April 24th at the Swiftel Center for our Spring Fling thing. Anyways music I'm listening to lately include Big & Rich, Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, Green Day, Johnny Cash, Kid Rock, Third Eye Blind, AC/DC, and a girl from Norway with South Dakota ties named Marit Larsen, who was at one time a member of M2M a popular group in Europe and Asia.

Comment

Any place I could get a sample of Marit Larsen?
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
        I have a serious problem.  I am extremely addicted to music and have been since I was a kid.  I currently have a library of approx 600 CDs and countless MP3s (all legally downloaded as far as the music industry knows).  My daughter's probably the only 2 year old who sings Billy Bragg and Nick Cave songs (although her current favorite is James Blunts "Your Beautiful&quot.  Having said that, I'm always looking for a new CD to listen to.  The only music I don't particularly enjoy would be Country.  

Some of the CDs I'm listening to of late:

Billy Bragg - Discology
        Jack Johnson - On & On
        Eva Cassidy - Time After Time
        The Fray - How to Save a Life
        Death Cab for Cutie - Plans
        Jessie Harris - While the Music Lasts
        Zero 7 - When It Falls & Simple Things (2 discs)

As you can see, most of what I listen to would be considered probably Alternative Rock or something in that genre.  I also love Jazz (Dizzy and Miles= favs), 70s Rock (Pink Floyd, Led Zep), 90s Rock (Radiohead, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, James), and whatever.  

Give me a list of some of your favorite CDs so I can expand the collection.  Any discussion would be great too.  I love talking music.
        I'm big into Jack Johnson.  I got a hold of some live and rare tracks (about 20) a couple months ago.  My wife and I even bought the Curious George soundtrack and we don't have kids :-[.  My co-workers gave me crap when they saw that in my vehicle :-[

I'm also a big fan of Incubus, especially their first couple of albums.

Comment

[quote author=Rabbitlivinginverm link=1144854878/0#3 date=1144856426
          I'm big into Jack Johnson.  I got a hold of some live and rare tracks (about 20) a couple months ago.  My wife and I even bought the Curious George soundtrack and we don't have kids :-[.  My co-workers gave me crap when they saw that in my vehicle :-[

I'm also a big fan of Incubus, especially their first couple of albums.[/quote]

I have the Curious George soundtrack myself. I like it, but for some reason I'm stuck on his On & On CD right now. I have a soft spot in my heart for Jack Johnson. He and Pete Yorn were blaring out of my stereo the weekend I moved into my house. One of those memories you'll never forget.

I don't have any Incubus and enjoy their popular songs. Not sure why I haven't picked up one of their ablums. What would be your 2 favorites?

Side Note: if you play guitar, the "Upside Down" song on the Curious George soundtrack is a pretty easy song to play. OLGA has the tabs on their site if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
            i don't really like some of that "Popular" crap they play these days. I like my country country, my rock hard, some rap and some of the older pop stuff. speaking of music switchfoot visits SDSU April 24th at the Swiftel Center for our Spring Fling thing. Anyways music I'm listening to lately include Big & Rich, Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, Green Day, Johnny Cash, Kid Rock, Third Eye Blind, AC/DC, and a girl from Norway with South Dakota ties named Marit Larsen, who was at one time a member of M2M a popular group in Europe and Asia.

Even though I said I'm not particurlarly fond of Country, I still enjoy some of that music. Not sure who you enjoy aside from the 3 you put up there, but a great "old timer" would be Guy Clark. Anything from Guy is worth picking up, especially one of his compilation disks. I saw him in concert with John Hiatt and Lyle Lovett all just sitting on chairs playing a song in turn with just an accoustic guitar. Awesome. Anyway, Guy Clark has some great songs, John Hiatt can play a mean axe and Lyle Lovett has a great voice. Most of Guy Clarks songs are about getting into fights in the parking lot, pretty girls, his dad's knife, things like that. Great stuff.

John Hiatt's another guy to check out, but he's more of an Alt-Country type singer. Lyle Lovett requires no explanation.

Side Note: Guy Clark makes his own guitars. Pretty amazing guy.

Comment

If you like Guy Clark(one of my favorites) you will probably like Buddy Miller.

Comment

Jack Johnson fans might want to check out Cat Power's new CD "The Greatest".

Cat Powers really big with Indie Rock followers, she plays acoustic and sings bluesy type, slower songs. Has been compared to a hipper Norah Jones.

Some review and good sites for checking out new music....

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-rev...greatest.shtml

http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...?q=cat%20power

a couple of other good musicians

Bright Eyes - reported as today's Bob Dylan, first got his start playing in Omaha
                Sufjan Stevens - Is trying to make a CD for every US state, last CD "Bring the Illa-noise" was #1 on most best of 2005 indie records

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell_06
                  Jack Johnson fans might want to check out Cat Power's new CD "The Greatest".

Cat Powers really big with Indie Rock followers, she plays acoustic and sings bluesy type, slower songs. Has been compared to a hipper Norah Jones.

Some review and good sites for checking out new music....

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-rev...greatest.shtml

http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...?q=cat%20power

a couple of other good musicians

Bright Eyes - reported as today's Bob Dylan, first got his start playing in Omaha
                  Sufjan Stevens - Is trying to make a CD for every US state, last CD "Bring the Illa-noise" was #1 on most best of 2005 indie records
                  Excellent info. I actually just picked up the Sufjan Stevens Illa-noise CD. I especially like the Casmir Pulaski Day song. Great stuff. I'm definitely going to check out the others you listed. Good stuff.

Comment

Since I got a new truck with XM radio, I've become a fan of the blues. Bluesville is about all I listen to when I'm driving, unless my wife is with. She hates the blues and makes me listen to the 40's station. I don't consider that to be a hardship though.

You can't really go wrong with anything by John Lee Hooker. Right this minute I've got Pat Travers - Halfway to Somewhere playing.

In the last month I've seen Monroe Crossing and Leon Redbone and enjoyed both of them a lot. Monroe Crossing is an excellent bluegrass band from right here in Minnesota.

An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                    US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

MJA, I know you're not big on country, but you should check out some alt-country like Steve Earle (especially "El Corazon&quot and Hank Williams III.

As for me, my musical tastes run the gamut, from Ralph Vaughan Williams (English Classical Composer) to Stevie Ray Vaughan to "The Boss" and Chris Issak to Dave Brubeck. I'm a musical schizophrenic! ;D
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by Walrus
                        Since I got a new truck with XM radio, I've become a fan of the blues.  Bluesville is about all I listen to when I'm driving, unless my wife is with.  She hates the blues and makes me listen to the 40's station.  I don't consider that to be a hardship though.

You can't really go wrong with anything by John Lee Hooker.  Right this minute I've got Pat Travers - Halfway to Somewhere playing.

In the last month I've seen Monroe Crossing and Leon Redbone and enjoyed both of them a lot.  Monroe Crossing is an excellent bluegrass band from right here in Minnesota.
                        I have a couple blues albums. Obviously, I have a couple BB King albums. It wouldn't be a solid CD collection without a couple King albums. One blues guy that I kind of stumbled onto was Chris Thomas King. He's the black guitarist who sells his sole to the devil because he "wasn't using it" in exchange to learn how to play "this hear guitar real good" in Oh Brother Where Art Thou. Some of his stuff leaves something to be desired, but his true blues songs are dynamite.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
                          MJA, I know you're not big on country, but you should check out some alt-country like Steve Earle (especially "El Corazon&quot and Hank Williams III.

As for me, my musical tastes run the gamut, from Ralph Vaughan Williams (English Classical Composer) to Stevie Ray Vaughan to "The Boss" and Chris Issak to Dave Brubeck. I'm a musical schizophrenic!   ;D
                          I have a couple compilation CDs with some Steve Earle on them. I like what I have. My wife's best friend is a starving artist who lived in Austin for a couple years trying to break into the music bus and she swears by Steve Earle. He and Patty Griffin.

Also, I don't know if you've ever watched "Austin City Limits" on PBS on Saturday nights (I have 2 kids under the age of 3 so my weekends aren't usually very booked), but this weekend they had Allison Krause on there and she sounded great. She's more bluegrass, but still has great pipes. Anyway, if you're not doing anything around midnight next Saturday, check you PBS station. Austin City Limits is a great show. Past performers have been The Shings, Jack Johnson, Wilco, The Flaming Lips, etc.

Comment

I caught the jazz reference... are you a trumpet player? You mentioned Miles & Diz. Two of the greatest, that's for sure.

If you're into jazz trumpeters, you should get some stuff from current players... I'll say current jazz trumpeters who's music comes from the classic 60's era stuff... hard bop stuff:

- Terrence Blanchard (check out his album "Lets Get Lost&quot
                            - Nicholas Payton
                            - Roy Hargrove
                            - Ryan Kisor (Sioux City boy who made it big... plays with the LIncoln Center Jazz Orchestra)
                            - Wynton Marsalis (You'll enjoy his latest album "Amongst the People: Live at the HOuse of Tribes"

I'm a huge jazz fanatic and could recommend stuff all day long. I think a great way to get into new recordings is to check out albums featuring sidemen on your current favorite CDs. IE: if you like Miles' 60's era stuff, you should check out albums by the other guys (who are now jazz superstars) in his group: Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, Tony Williams. Or follow that same idea on other records.

Keep listening... especially to jazz and GO SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL JAZZ CLUBS & CONCERTS. Jazz is America's music and sometimes it seems we need to re-introduce it to America.

Best!

Comment

I saw Ryan Kisor play when he was a senior at Sioux City North and they played at the Augie Jazz Festival... WOW!!!!

Made me feel inadequate as a trumpeter!

He must be out of this world now.
                              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                              X