X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reily Reiff

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Amen. I agree completely. From those to whom much is given, much is expected. A full ride scholarship at a Big Ten school is a nice gift. Mr. Reiff needs to get his act together and apologize to everyone at Iowa (my wife and I are both Iowa alums, and it makes us mad when these stupid punks sully the university's reputation.) After that, all he can do is hope that Coach Ferentz will give him another chance. I would note that Ferentz hasn't been very forgiving of late as these incidents have become more frequent.
    Please note the difference in opinion between some posters here and it should help people understand why some alumni have no interest in supporting athletics. Behavior like this shouldn't be tolerated in any setting and I dare say wouldn't be tolerated in most. If a scholarship is in place it should be given to another student who will utilize it properly. Should Mr. Reiff have another chance, perhaps. I am not in the position to decide. If given an opportunity the responsibility should be entirely his.

I shudder at the thought that some people believe 90% of our high school graduates would behave this way. Its that kind of naive attitude about alcohol and it consequences that results in a greater number of problems than we are willing to admit. This isn't the forum to discuss issues like this and I'll leave it at that. Mr. Reiff will determine what affect this has on his life, I hope he seeks proper counsel.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Here's another article (basically the same thing) about the incident. It's a lot more entertaining with all of the posts at the bottom though. He's really given himself some bad exposure.

http://deadspin.com/5027048/iowas-de...romising-speed

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        If a scholarship is in place it should be given to another student who will utilize it properly.
        Absolutely. This is outrageous behavior and this kid's stupidity is making the University of Iowa a national joke.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I want to know this.... if he wouldn't of been naked would it of been that big of a deal? And what is his side of the story? I just don't like how this kind of stuff makes the front page of the paper...... I know of a lot of kids who have ran from cops, MANY and I mean MANY go to SDSU and a number of them play athletics.... heck one of my classmates went to jail for multiple minors who is an athlete at SDSU.... My point is a lot of this happens an most of it doesn't make the paper and I understand that being an athlete puts you in the limelight a little bit but hey he is 19 years old and I know when 19 I made some mistakes and did some stupid things.....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            I want to know this.... if he wouldn't of been naked would it of been that big of a deal? And what is his side of the story? I just don't like how this kind of stuff makes the front page of the paper...... I know of a lot of kids who have ran from cops, MANY and I mean MANY go to SDSU and a number of them play athletics.... heck one of my classmates went to jail for multiple minors who is an athlete at SDSU.... My point is a lot of this happens an most of it doesn't make the paper and I understand that being an athlete puts you in the limelight a little bit but hey he is 19 years old and I know when 19 I made some mistakes and did some stupid things.....
            I suggest you re-read my previous post. You'll find your answer there.

A 19-year-old is, legally, an adult. I expect adult behavior. Pretty simple, really.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              He broke TWO laws, embarassed himself, and his University. There is no "side of his story".

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                He broke TWO laws, embarassed himself, and his University. There is no "side of his story".
                Correct. The only thing he can say and then honor is that he is remorseful and will never behave in this fashion again. Reily can learn alot from this experience and I hope people are in place to help him do so.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I really did not want to post anymore on this subject, but Joeboo, there is never any justification for breaking laws. Back in the days of segregation and the deep south, civil disobedience served a purpose in bringing justice to the lives of those who were subjected to discrimmination. I don't think civil disobedience is part of Mr. Reiff's situation. So even civil disobedience is not an option, nor is youth as an excuse an option. Laws are here to protect everyone especially if you live in downtown Iowa City or whereever this incident occurred.

His best option is as others have said is showing remorse and pledging contrition. If he thinks he is cute, then life is not going to treat him very good, and the high stats at good old Parkston High will soon be very meaningless.

I agree with JimmyJack in that student athletes are special people and have special privilidges but they also have special expectations. This might be were Mr. Reiff finds himself in trouble. If I were an Iowa alum, I would not be proud of him either, and I could care less that he is from Parkston SD.

Comment

Hopefully Riley learned an important lesson from this. Fact of the matter is that scholarship athletes drink, they just need to learn when and where to do that and not to run from the cops if they come. If he doesn't learn anything from this incident he could end up the best player in USF history.
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

I have seen some who think this is not newsworthy and the Argus should not have covered it. It's definitely getting press in Iowa as here is the Iowa City take and subsequent opinions. http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pb...#pluckcomments

Comment

I don't think that this is one there list of top items when there is this to worry about. 18 student athlete arrest in the last 15 months.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app.../NEWS/80721013

Regents official 'shocked' by letters sent to U of I

Iowa Board of Regents President David Miles said he is shocked University of Iowa officials did not tell regents about letters they received from the mother of a U of I student who alleges she was sexually assaulted by U of I athletes last fall.

The board will meet Tuesday afternoon in Iowa City to discuss in an open meeting the U of I's response to the reported assault and the reasons why the mother's letters were not disclosed to the regents during an earlier investigation of how the incident was handled.

"I was shocked," Miles said about learning the U of I had not told the regents about the letters, the first of which was received in November.

"The existence of the letter was not revealed to the board when it was investigating this incident. This is obviously a pertinent document. The university did not do itself any favors by not providing this document," Miles said.

The mother alleges in her first letter, sent to U of I officials Nov. 19, that the university did not adequately support or communicate with the victim and her family and tried to keep the allegations within the athletic department. Court records say the victim, a student-athlete, was intoxicated Oct. 14 when she met U of I football players Jevon Pugh and Abe Satterfield, who took her to an unoccupied room in Hillcrest Residence Hall.

She was later sexually assaulted by Satterfield and teammate Cedric Everson, according to court documents.

The mother last week provided the Iowa City Press-Citizen with a copy of the letter she sent to the university. The mother sent a second letter to U of I President Sally Mason on May 16, regents confirmed.

Miles and Regent Bob Downer said this morning they have read both letters but could not release the second letter unless they have permission from the U of I student. Downer said Regents Counsel Tom Evans said the letter is protected under federal student privacy laws.

Downer said the letters raise doubt that the incident was handled properly.

"It raises a lot of concerns as to the level of support given to a student who was alleged to have been a victim to a criminal act, a felony," Downer said.

Downer said he was also bothered the U of I didn't tell the board about the letters when the board investigated the handling of the incident earlier this year. The investigation was ordered because of concerns about a three-week delay between the date of the alleged assault and the start of a police investigation. The board office staff released a report in June saying the U of I did nothing wrong.

Comment

Unfortunately for Riley, he may have screwed up at a bad time. With all the pressure on the Iowa coach for the rest of the incidents, he may choose to make an example of Riley in order to "prove" to the state of Iowa that he has put his foot down and is all about cleaning up the program. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

OK.... I know that there is no way too defend what he did but I will not defend what the argus did.... My point is this.... I know of 2 D-I athletes (SDSU and USD) that went to jail and got in trouble and they never were put on the front page of the paper.... Thats my point....

...... an athlete at SDSU was in jail for 48 hours serving time for 2 minors in a calander year...

...... an athlete at USD was arrested for false impersonation, fleeing from cops and minor in consumption...

My only point is that it happens.... It happens at USD it happens at SDSU (even with scholarship athletes) and I don't see them on the front page of the argus......

Comment

Pretty sure the Argus isn't just picking on Riley and not the 2 guys from USD and SDSU. Probably just a case of this one hitting the news wires while the other 2 did not.

Comment

My two cents...

Had he not been publicized so much by the Argus for his high school football accomplishments, it wouldn't have made the front page. But he did, and everyone who follows local college football knows his name, so they put it up there. I agree somewhat with JB's arguments, but he's the one with the big time athletic ability, so he's the one that will get noticed first when something like this happens.

I can understand how some people get mad over what he did, he's a scholarship athlete and should know better, it makes the U of Iowa look bad, and all the other reasons people mentioned on here. But, when your young, you have a hard time thinking past next Saturday night. I'm 25, and I'll be the first to admit, when I read this article (somewhat drunk off Heineken) I laughed my *ss off for quite a while. Probably should have been more grown up and not condoned it, but he's only 18-19 and made a mistake. Now its up to him to apologize to everyone from the cops to his coaches to the cooks working at the pita pit and hope they don't take his scholarship away, and pay the fine and do the community service or whatever else that comes with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X